Quick question about brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Quick question about brakes

Hey all,

Always wanted to be a product manager? Here's your chance!

Anyone care to answer one simple question (+ context)

Go here:
    Director of Product
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've been at a Rocky dealer for 5 yrs and we've always been pretty stoked on the product. We have a few other brands but Rocky's performed better for us in the $4000 plus category consistently for years. I have an instinct on the way now actually (thanks Keith!).

Seeing as we're on the topic of brakes, I picked metallic pads for one key reason: you'd have to stop putting rt-66's on bikes that deserve so much better! Haha. I understand that bling sells bikes, but I'd quite literally prefer to ride a series level down of brakes (m7000 to m6000 for example) if it meant getting to ride metallic pads on rt-76 or similar rotors. I guess no one looks up a bike and says "that sure is a nice bike for $5500 but I'm not stoked on the front hub or pad and rotor choice", it's not noticable for a lot of people. In this new generation of Shimano stuff we've sold more rotor and pad upgrade kits than actual brake upgrade sets once people come in after the fact looking for better brakes.

Ps: I can see in your signature that you're the product manager for MTB. So is someone else in charge of the solo exclusively then?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback... I have heard that one a couple of times, and your analysis is pretty spot on. Hard to argue with ppl who "want it all", but want it for $5499... Choices need to be made! That being said, I'm trying to get to the bottom of resin vs metallic not from a COST standpoint, but performance. We spec more and more metallic pads, but the Southwest is challenging, they say the rotors are getting cooked too quickly. They want resin...

Regarding Solo: I guess I should edit my sig: I oversee the entire range, with the help of 2 ace product managers.
    Director of Product
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles