pay MSRP on new 2018?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

pay MSRP on new 2018?

Having only bought one complete bike from a bike shop in 25 years, and it was a "last years model" blowout, what should I expect from a typical Rocky Mountain dealer? I can't find any online sources who ship, so I have to go through my only dealer within a 3 hour drive. Nice enough shop, not in my town.

I don't mind paying a fair price, but I'm curious if a bike is MSRP $1799, if like a car, no one pays MSRP.

I don't need specific discounts, just maybe a "yeah, I paid a bit less", or nope, that's the price, pay it and quit being cheap.

This is Rocky Mountain specific.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork View Post
    Having only bought one complete bike from a bike shop in 25 years, and it was a "last years model" blowout, what should I expect from a typical Rocky Mountain dealer? I can't find any online sources who ship, so I have to go through my only dealer within a 3 hour drive. Nice enough shop, not in my town.

I don't mind paying a fair price, but I'm curious if a bike is MSRP $1799, if like a car, no one pays MSRP.

I don't need specific discounts, just maybe a "yeah, I paid a bit less", or nope, that's the price, pay it and quit being cheap.

This is Rocky Mountain specific.
    Might get a better deal if you're in an area with multiple dealers and dog-eat-dog competition...ie . big city. That's not the case in the small town where I live, so depending on the brand, around here everybody pays pretty much MSRP except for end-off-year or on holdover models. I paid full price for my Specialized Fatboy. I got $500 off on my Farley EX8 about a month ago, but paid full price for my Crossrip in April from the same dealer.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Rocky does not allow internet sales. So. I guess it's between you and the dealer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I see why Rocky would not do internet sales, but that does limit me in a big way. I found a few dealers out of state that actually had the 2017 model I was looking for. I prefer the color of the 17 models over 18, and was willing to pay msrp. But no one can ship it to me. My local dealer has precisely ONE model that I want to buy, and it's the top of the line $4K bike. So it's either buy the cheaper one site unseen and wait 2 weeks for it to arrive, or nothing. The other dealers are way to far for me to go. I'd rather just spend more on an Otso Voytek and let it get shipped to me.

But thanks for the experience. I suspect msrp is what I'm going to be expected to pay.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I had to pay retail for my 2018 Altitude. Not sure if that was a RM thing, or a Boise thing. That was pretty much the day they were available, though, so they were not trying to unload anything just sitting around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I paid $4000 for the $4199 msrp Altitude Carbon 50. They have big deals on 2017 slayers right now though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I actually paid less on a pre-order for a brand new model before they arrived in the country. My local shop does tend to look after loyal customers though.

mtbr member
    If you're looking for a "this years" model as they hit the "shelves", most times you'll end up paying MSRP, especially if there's no competition for the shop. Still doesn't hurt to ask a question and if they say no go, then ask about discounts on any other stuff you're looking to buy at the time, that they'll normally give you a break on to encourage the sale of the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

President of the Internet
    My LBS quoted me a 9% discount on a 2018 Instinct. That said I've been a loyal customer for 20 yrs...

They offered me a 13% discount on a 2018 Santa Cruz Hightower. Not sure if the margins are different there.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    If you're looking for a "this years" model as they hit the "shelves", most times you'll end up paying MSRP, especially if there's no competition for the shop. Still doesn't hurt to ask a question and if they say no go, then ask about discounts on any other stuff you're looking to buy at the time, that they'll normally give you a break on to encourage the sale of the bike.
    That's good advice. Often, the margins on accessories and equipment are greater than on bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm heading over there this week to try for size. If it feels good, I'll see if I can save a few bucks. Even $100 would help cover the cost of a bluto I picked up on eBay.