Parts Availability- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Parts Availability

I recently decided to get into riding mountain bikes again after not having one since it was about 15. I looked at a few new and used bikes and ended up buying a 2007 Rocky Mountain Switch 1.0 RV66. Before I bought it I had the seller meet me at a local shop so they could give it an inspection. They said it was in great shape for its age and would only need a 2 things done to it in the spring. First was to have the front forks tuned up and possibly some seals replaced as it looked like one of them might have leaked and that they felt soft. The second was the bottom braket would need new barings as they were stsrting to clunk / click. But that these fixes wouldn't be horribly expensive and I could get them done around the 200 dollar mark.

Fast forward to today and I called a mobile mechanic as a friend recommended them, and said they can do the work I needed done plus fully clan and detail the bike for about the same price.

Well the guy I talked to said the bike was way to old and that you can no longer get parts for anyrhing older than 2011 and if those repairs are needed that he wouldn't ride the bike.

I am hoping those here with more knowledge can help sort this out for me or point me in the direction to get parts and or someone who can reinspect the bike and fix what needs to be done.

Thanks again everone, the community has been amazing so far.

mtbr member
    Well, hello there =)

I try to help out with what I know and have experienced:
    You've got to distinguish between bike parts and component parts. From what I've understood, you need to overhaul / tune the fork and replace the bottom bracket. Those are components. Depending on the fork, you can either search online and order or (if you're not familiar / experienced) bring it to a local shop.
    For the bottom bracket, you'll need a fitting one (I've attached the link for the 2006 manual, the spec of the bottom bracket can also be found online or asked to RMB).
    Finally, you need somebody who orders everything and performs the installation.
    Which leads to my final question: Why don't you just hand it the shop where you had the inspection? Obviously, they haven't encountered any major issues and know what they are doing.

As speaking of the bike (parts) itself: The 2007 models are end of life. If you're lucky, you may find parts on marketplaces. Hence, it's the kind of risk you got when riding an older model, as it's simply not supported anymore (at least officially).

https://www.bikeaction.de/fileadmin/...f?_=1448274908

cheers and ride on soon
    ​Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 2016 Custom Built

ups and downs
    If you needed major pieces like suspension linkage parts, and bolt/bearing kits, 2007 is getting on in years, there's nothing on the Rocky web shop for the Switch. The Switch derailleur hanger is the same as the Slayer and Slayer SXC so those are still available.

https://shop.bikes.com/collections/p...-slayer-switch
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I totally forgot to give everyone and the conclusion, I brought the bike into the shop that did hte inspection and though it took 2 weeks to get the parts they were able to do a bottom service and clean of the front forks. They also were able to replace the BB. While they were working on the bike they also replaced and the shielding and cables as well. I did end up having to replace the front rotor as it was bent slightly but I now have the bike back and it is in tip top shape.