Noisy rear shock bushing/pivot on 2019 Altitude- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Noisy rear shock bushing/pivot on 2019 Altitude

About a month into ownership, my 2019 Altitude C50 developed a popping sound when pedaling up steeps and over rocks. Progressively got worse to making the noise just sitting on the bike. I took it to the bike shop and, before working on it, they washed the bike and the noise went away (the bike was just dusty when I brought it to them). They just said to wash it more often and that the bottom brackets make noise in our dusty environment.

The noise came back during the first ride after getting it back and because I had a bunch of rides planned for the next couple weeks, I just dealt with it. Again, just dusty rides, no mud or water. I gently rinsed it off after each ride but the noise remained. Once after washing it, I figured it would be a good time to try changing the Ride9 chips to a little steeper setting and see if maybe taking it apart and regreasing would silence it because it sounded like the noise was coming from the shock area and not the BB. Taking out the bolt that holds the chips in showed that almost no grease had been used (I'm assuming from the factory assembly) and there was wear on that bolt where it goes through the non-drive side chips. The little chips that slide into that aluminum pivot piece are also scuffed on the non-drive side... this is with a practically new bike, WTH? I cleaned all the pieces up, change the Ride9 to position 7 and reassembled going by what the manual says for greasing the bolt and chips with Park HPG-1 grease. I cycle the suspension and the noise remains. So I removed the bolt that fastens the shock to the top tube (just a bushing there, no bearings) and it also shows a little wear (not as bad as the Ride9 bolt) but almost no grease either. So I clean it up, lube that one and reassemble. Success, the bike is finally quiet again but this only lasts for one ride, middle of second ride and the noise comes back.

I've found that if I remove the bolt from top tube pivot, clean it up and re-grease it, it's back to silent for one ride. I plan to take it back to the shop and tell them what I've found and see what they can do.

But a few weeks ago, Rocky Mountain was in town for a demo day and since I'm trying to get a buddy from work into MTB, we go try out a couple bikes. I try out the the new Slayer and guess what, it has the same damn noise as my Altitude!

Has anyone dealt with this before and know what needs to be done to silence it for good?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have exactly the same issue on my Element (2017).
    Mine has creaked since day 1, I grease it frequently as you have. I replaced the rear bolt once because it became scored in the same area. The second bolt is now the same. Interestingly, the aluminum part that goes against the shock pin is now scored on the external side, itís been rotating with the shock movement. I discussed this with my bike shop folks, the pin that goes through the shock eyelet was seized, probably tolerances too tight. It was in need of service anyhow, Iím sending it in to have it resolved ó weíll see...
    Iím going to replace parts #43 and 11 on the Element exploded diagram.
    Hope this helps,
    Jim

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I have the same issue, creaking while on bumpy steep stuff while pedaling. I greased the pivots and this corrected it for 2 rides. 10 rides later I pulled apart the upper shock attachments and noticed the beveled area where the beveled washer sits has a little ball of fibers like the frame is wearing away. I think the beveled washer actually gets tight against the "Bolt Shk" prior to getting tight to the frame. This lets the upper shock mount move enough to cause the creak. I'm going to try some Park Tool RC-1 and hopefully that seats the beveled washer so it doesn't move against the carbon.

Noisy rear shock bushing/pivot on 2019 Altitude-capture.png

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a tube of RC-1, but have been reluctant to use it on that bolt for fear that if the bolt still turns in the frame, that could really grind down the frame. But I guess if it's held tight with the compound so it can't move and force the movement to be in the pivot bushing where it's supposed to be, then that should work fine. Are you going to put it on both the "Bolt Shk" and the beveled washer... I thinkit's important that the Bold Shk doesn't turn as well. Any way, please let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Yeah thatís what I was concerned about too. Hopefully with the ap-1 primer you have to buy separately for $27 it wonít permanently bond to the carbon.

Another option was to file down the bolt shk so itís not as long, allowing the bevel washer actually get tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    GxzUhssssssssssss

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had a knocking noise on my 2018 Altitude. Would happen in quick hits, like rock gardens. Finally traced it to the ride 9 chip set. I found a feeler gauge that could be slid in between the main chip and the pivot, and basically glued it in there with locktite. Been quiet since. Might be something to look at.
    '01 Schwinn HG Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona JtS - '18 Rocky Mtn Altitude A30 - '19 Scott Spark RC Team