New RM Thunderbolt C50 - Am I Forgetting Anything?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

New RM Thunderbolt C50 - Am I Forgetting Anything?

Hello all -

I am eagerly expecting the arrival as soon as tomorrow of a 2019 RM Thunderbolt C50 I bought online from Bicycle World in Waco, Texas.

[I mention Bicycle World in Waco in part to give them a shout-out. The communication has been awesome, and they boxed and shipped the bike within 48 hours after purchase. The bike was on closeout for 20% off to boot. They still have some Thunderbolt C50's, and some Instincts and Elements, on sale in limited sizes fwiw.]

I have separately purchased:

OneUp's Underbash for RM's 2-bolt ISCG05 setup

SRAM Crank Boots compatible with the SRAM Stylo 6K cranks

OneUp's Aluminum Pedals (which I understand may not play well with the crank boots, so I may need to add washer(s) or cut the boots a bit)

OneUp's pin-and-washer-set (not a necessity, but not expensive and figured I then have the option of reducing the length of the pins a bit along with the spare pins from the original manufacturer)

Wondering if there there is anything I am forgetting or other recommendations?

Thanks very much!
    Last edited by genny1; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Bottle cage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Indeed!!!! I had forgotten that, thanks much. Off to do some shopping.

mtbr member
    Couple of other things you might want is a;
    Pump.
    https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...82-mountain-da

Strap (backcountry research or granite strap)to carry tube,
    Mutherload - Frame Mount
    https://www.granite-design.com/rockband

multi-tool
    https://www.parktool.com/category/multi-tools

and tire lever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by genny1 View Post
    Indeed!!!! I had forgotten that, thanks much. Off to do some shopping.
    awesome...the thunderbolt is a great bike, enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks very much Nick and Bacon.

Bacon, those straps are nifty, and the design of the Mutherload is pretty neat. I know they are nothing earth-shattering, but I have not shopped for mtb stuff for about 10 years so this all seems new to me. Thanks for the links, really helpful!

I do have a small pump and tire levers, so can add them AND check them off the list. I had a multi-tool at some point I think. Will have to see if I can find it.

Looking at those suggestions, and looking at water bottle cages, has me taking a step back and thinking about how I want to approach carrying stuff. I have a camelbak I use sometimes for water and gear, but with the new bike, advances in some of the frame carrying options (like those magnetic, low-profile mount water bottles, pretty neat), and the good suggestions you have given, I am going to think about options. Maybe move away from camelbak to a water bottle, frame-mounted strap/tube, and perhaps one of those thin runner waistbands (or mtb specific small waistbands) for my phone and car key.

Anyway, you've all made choices around all this stuff, so probably not very interesting to you. I know it is all pretty basic, and so I really appreciate the time and help. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have the straps with a tube and tool on all my bikes. That way I always know it will be there. I use a water bottle on my shorter ride and a camelbak on longer ride I carry my phone a couple different ways. In the back pocket of my shirt on short rides, camelbak on longer ride where I know where I am going and on long rides in a new areas, I use a garmin mount, glued to the phone case. That way I can look at the trail map quickly without having to take my pack off.

Try different ways to carry stuff until you find what is right for you.

wanna be racer...settling

side access cage

Quote Originally Posted by genny1 View Post
    Hello all -

I am eagerly expecting the arrival as soon as tomorrow of a 2019 RM Thunderbolt C50 I bought online from Bicycle World in Waco, Texas.

[I mention Bicycle World in Waco in part to give them a shout-out. The communication has been awesome, and they boxed and shipped the bike within 48 hours after purchase. The bike was on closeout for 20% off to boot. They still have some Thunderbolt C50's, and some Instincts and Elements, on sale in limited sizes fwiw.]

I have separately purchased:

OneUp's Underbash for RM's 2-bolt ISCG05 setup

SRAM Crank Boots compatible with the SRAM Stylo 6K cranks

OneUp's Aluminum Pedals (which I understand may not play well with the crank boots, so I may need to add washer(s) or cut the boots a bit)

OneUp's pin-and-washer-set (not a necessity, but not expensive and figured I then have the option of reducing the length of the pins a bit along with the spare pins from the original manufacturer)

Wondering if there there is anything I am forgetting or other recommendations?

Thanks very much!
    You'll want a side access water bottle cage as the shock adjuster gets in the way of pulling a bottle in and out. Figure you already discovered that though
    That day has come :)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks much John! I actually have not pulled the trigger on a bottle cage yet. Using a CamelBak until I get things sorted out a bit more on what is going to work best. So this helps, I did not know about the shock adjuster getting in the way. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Congrats! It's a nice bike, we bought a 2018 for my wife on closeout last year. Things we did right away:

- She is small, so the shop traded the crank for 165mm GX with a 32t (2018 came with a 34t)
    - 2018 came with a Crossmark rear tire so we got rid of that
    - RM grips were not to her liking so swapped those
    - water bottle cage
    - pedals
    - had it wrapped by Matt @ Rockblock

We also eventually swapped out the Fox dropper lever and put a Luftkappe in the Fox 34 Grip.

Beautiful bikes, we have two. Have fun!

Trev

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks very much Trev! As you said, it's a really fun and beautiful bike. It is joining a 2010 RM Element SE I've had for ten years. Riding the Thunderbolt has been a blast over the first few rides, and learning a new bike is energizing. The Element, a last gen XC race bike with 26" wheels and very short/steep geometry, is great fun in its own way, but the Thunderbolt is a welcome new ballgame on the trails.

The fine tuning you and your wife did on the Tbolt sounds terrific! Tires and grips are definitely among the first things I am figuring out. The Maxxis Minion DHR II tires, front and back, are great, but may be more aggressive than I need, and I wouldn't mind reducing the rotational weight a bit. And I had foam grips on my Element, which I really liked, so I may switch out the stock ones like you did. I went with OneUp Aluminum pedals, which have been great so far and match the profile of what I had on the Element (thin Twenty6 pedals).

Having the bike wrapped, switching the dropper lever, and putting in a Luftkappe are next level stuff -- at least at my level of "expertise" (and lack thereof1). I didn't do much with the Element, and look forward to dedicating more attention to the Thunderbolt and getting more attuned to component adjustments. The fork is definitely one possibility, and hub engagement is another thing I am thinking I'd like to improve upon from the stock DT Swiss 370.

Thanks again for the note and the shared enthusiasm about the Thunderbolt!!!