New Altitude 50 RSL - Rear Shock Settings?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Altitude 50 RSL - Rear Shock Settings?

Came close to getting a Trek Fuel EX8 but saw the Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 RSL on jensonusa.com for a few hundred cheaper (and no tax).

Anyway, I just got it and am trying to noodle out how to set up the Fox RP23 rear shock. Fully loaded with my camelbak, I am about 220 lbs. What is a good starting pressure to go with? I am seeing pressure equaling body weight, I am just concerned about putting too much air in. Is 220 PSI too much to start with? I just want a rough ball park so I can start measuring sag as Fox recommends (Fox really should put a ballpark starting point psi in their instructions).
    Last edited by skrap1r0n; 05-10-2011 at 09:03 PM.

ups and downs
    The shock can handle 300psi, so 220psi is a good starting pressure.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have the 2010 70 RSL and started with the body weight + 5%. I found it way to stiff and was only using half of the travel. I weigh about 185 suited up to ride and am a Cat 1 racer if that helps. Right now I am running 160 in the shock and 85-90 in the front fork.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks. I'll start with weight in rear and half weight in front and tweak it from there. This is my first FS bike, I am coming from a hardtail, so I am still getting used to having a rear suspension. I suspect it may be a while before I fully get it dialed in.

What? There's more?
    I saw the same deal on Jenson and couldn't pass it up. Love the bike but had to adjust my thinking about the suspension. Setting sag at twenty percent was a dismal failure as it resulted in constant bottoming on both ends. I concluded that at 185 pounds trail-ready, I'm not in the weight range the suspension was designed for. The answer was to forget sag and pump the preload up until the suspension travel is not exhausted under normal conditions. That's not ideal, but unavoidable when dealing with air-springs. I'm not seeing the air spring thing. An air sprung fork or shock can only be right for one weight rider. It's a compromise for everyone else.

ups and downs
    I'm 200 pounds and have had no issues getting the rear suspension to work well, but I didn't use sag, I find it works best with a shock pressure of my weight +10% and run it in ProPedal mode.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey All,

I am finally home from my deployment and heading out for my first ride on my RSL 70 on Friday. So, for XC trail riding, at 200 lbs, start with about 220 rear and 90 up front? Where have you guys found the rebound to be adjusted to for first ride?

Thanks much,
    Heath

ups and downs
    I usually start around 3-4 clicks in from no damping and adding rebound damping a click at a time and then pressing down and releasing the front and rear to see how fast it will rebound, it shouldn't come up fast enough to hit your hands when you release the pressure. And then adjust to taste from there.

You want to watch that you don't add so much rebound damping so that it starts to pack up over stutter bumps (it rebounds so slow that it hasn't fully extended by the time the next bump compresses it, so it gradually shortens up the suspension)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Excellent. Thanks Rocky. I can always count on you for good guidance.

Best,
    Heath

Members who have read this thread: 0