Maiden shock hardware- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Maiden shock hardware

I sent this question to RM last week but have not received a response and I don't have a RM dealer convenient to me.

I have a Maiden frame that I purchased from someone who rode it a few times and didn't correct the shock hardware issue that was on some of the first production frames. The hardware is undersized with the BOS shock. RM apparently did a recall so I'm trying to track down the correct hardware. They don't have anything listed on their online store. Regular 1/2 inch hardware does seem to fit correctly.

I measure the bushings to be 42mm x 10mm (top) and 46mm x 10mm (bottom) using a calipers. Can anyone confirm these to be correct as it seems I need to go aftermarket at this point. I would prefer to get them from RM because their hardware has a flare at the ends for a larger surface contact with the rocker but I'm not getting a response.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NSTrout View Post
    I sent this question to RM last week but have not received a response and I don't have a RM dealer convenient to me.

I have a Maiden frame that I purchased from someone who rode it a few times and didn't correct the shock hardware issue that was on some of the first production frames. The hardware is undersized with the BOS shock. RM apparently did a recall so I'm trying to track down the correct hardware. They don't have anything listed on their online store. Regular 1/2 inch hardware does seem to fit correctly.

I measure the bushings to be 42mm x 10mm (top) and 46mm x 10mm (bottom) using a calipers. Can anyone confirm these to be correct as it seems I need to go aftermarket at this point. I would prefer to get them from RM because their hardware has a flare at the ends for a larger surface contact with the rocker but I'm not getting a response.

Thanks
    I have a maiden and enquired about the recall, if you put a pic up of the hardware you have i can let you know if its the same as mine or not. I think the recalled items were on very early maidens/demo bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi,

Thanks for the offer. I will take some pics tonight. It's from a first year unlimited frame and the hardware is ridged (black in color) rather than smooth like the current maiden hardware.

Regardless of the recall, the hardware is sloppy in the DU and when tightened in the frame the shock end can be slipped back and forth between the bushing so I'm changing them out one way or the other. I put in some fox and rockshock hardware I had around and the fit in the DU is proper. I just don't have anything as wide as these. The hardware on it's own in the frame is tight so I'm quite sure the width is correct.

Appreciate the response.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    my maiden is a first year as well which came with bosh shock. mine has solid smooth caps which push into the DU bush. i believe you have the items which have been recalled.

the hardware is 42 x 10mm set of upper hardware, and 46 x 10mm set of lower hardware.

i asked about 2017 hardware which appears to use the fox bushes but some parts need to be sourced elsewhere - part of the email below.

'If you'd prefer to buy some of our 2017-style hardware, the part numbers are 1805014 for the o-ring (4 needed), 1806159 for the lower reducers (2 needed), and 1806160 for the upper reducers (2 needed).

These will need to be be paired with 2 10x30mm shock opines, but those we do not sell so they'll have to be acquired through a suspension part supplier.'

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thank you very much for this information. In light of not being able to connect with Rocky Mountain about the recall, I will source bushings elsewhere. I appreciate the confirmation of the sizing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I resent a note to RM about this and they responded that there isn't a recall for Maiden shock hardware. If I want replacements I need to place an order from a dealer which geographically doesn't really work for me so after market it is.

Interestingly, I pulled the hardware and put it into three other shocks (RS and Fox) and the fit in those is tight. The fit in the BOS DU is very loose. However, the fit in the BOS DU with RS and Fox hardware is also loose but not quite as bad as the RM hardware. Both BOS DU's are pristine so maybe BOS just has sloppy tolerances. I have some other DU's that I may press in to see if that helps.

The DU issue aside, I noticed that the side to side play in the shock eyelet is because the hardware bottoms out on each other inside the DU preventing a tight fit against the sides of the eyelet. BOS hardware seems to come with the orings but I always viewed those for sealing and not to take up slack in fit. The RM hardware works fine with a vanilla coil I had lying around.

Short story long is that the issue doesn't seem to be RM's hardware but the tolerances on the BOS eyelet so I'm not sure how the recall that doesn't exist addressed that issue. Probably simplest to switch to fox rather than mess around with ill fitting hardware. Anybody running air on their Maiden?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I read somewhere online that there was a recall on the hardware as i also contacted my distributor about it. i have been running a Fox X2 coil on my maiden and have a Float X2 air shock on my slayer, i find that the coil feels really nice on the maiden and have considered getting a coil for the slayer. The nice thing i have noticed on the Float X2 is that it feels bottomless. both shocks i would recommend but thing you would be better with a coil shock on the maiden.