Instinct BC vs Pivot Switchblade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Instinct BC vs Pivot Switchblade

I need advice and I know I'm posting on the RM fanboy area (count me in!)

I have an altitude C90, bloody amazing bike. But I need another steed.

Here are my choices and reasons why I've chosen them.

Rocky mountain Instinct, BC Edition. It's really cool. I am very close to pulling the trigger on this. My only hold backs on this bike are, it's almost identical geometry to the altitude, that's a lot of cash wrapped up in two bikes that are virtually the same other than wheel size, convince my otherwise please. The other hold back being, it only takes 2.8 tires, I'd PREFER 3.0, though it seems the market s et on 2.8.
    Instinct | Rocky Mountain Bicycles

Pivot Switchblade is another cool bike, feels great, looks great, can take super wheel sizes and that's a plus, the geo is diff from rocky which is a plus, only because, it gives me another option in the quiver vs two bikes being the same as mentioned. The downside for this one is, superboost, is that a bad plan? and a few proprietary parts to consider.
    pretty freakin sweet bike all around.
    Here's a link.
    Switchblade - Pivot Cycles | Pivot Cycles | Performance Redefined

Pivot 429 trail
    I've considered this bike, it's interesting but the cockpit seems outdated. But maybe it's a better choice for my needs. My fear here is wishing I bought a bike that "had more" Here's the link.
    Mach 429 Trail - Pivot Cycles | Pivot Cycles | Performance Redefined

I cannot demo any of these bikes first, tho, I've ridden the switchblade before for minutes, felt great, and have an altitude, love it!

Here are my needs
    -A 29er for summer exercise, this bike will see everything from pavement to trail work
    -27.5+ capable, this will be my winter steed with studded tires for trail riding and the daily exercise grind

Please don't suggest a fatbike, I have one, I find it's neat but... DULL! I live in a snowy part of Canada and tons of people have fat bikes, they pack the trails down so I don't have to, thanks guys! 27,5 plus here i come!

Open to any and all idea for bike choice you may have, even if not listed here... honestly, if they just sold the pipedream, for the cool factor I'd just call that good and go for it. Who wouldn't?
    2018 RM Altitude Carbon 90
    2017 All City Macho King
    2016 Salsa Marrakesh
    Yuba Mundo
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2012 Stumpjumper

Keep on Rockin...
    Talk about super boost.

The Switchblade does not require a proprietary rear hub. That is a common misconception.

Super boost has a traditional 157mm DH hub spacing with the flanges tweaked.

The bike will take a traditional 157 spaced hub or a super boost hub.

My guess is you will see more 29er frames taking the 157 standard in the future.

I do admit re-sale _may_ be challenging as 157 on trail bikes has not gone main stream, yet, or maybe never. I do think it is a better way to build the bike though.

All that said, if I had to buy a 29 right now, I'd likey go the non-BC edition of the RM.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Talk about super boost.

The Switchblade does not require a proprietary rear hub. That is a common misconception.

Super boost has a traditional 157mm DH hub spacing with the flanges tweaked.

The bike will take a traditional 157 spaced hub or a super boost hub.

My guess is you will see more 29er frames taking the 157 standard in the future.

I do admit re-sale _may_ be challenging as 157 on trail bikes has not gone main stream, yet, or maybe never. I do think it is a better way to build the bike though.

All that said, if I had to buy a 29 right now, I'd likey go the non-BC edition of the RM.
    Yes--Buy the Instinct C70, sell everything else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Why would you guys recommend the C70 vs the BC edition? Curious.

and ejj, how on earth can I sell this beauty of an altitude?
    2018 RM Altitude Carbon 90
    2017 All City Macho King
    2016 Salsa Marrakesh
    Yuba Mundo
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2012 Stumpjumper

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nilbert View Post
    Why would you guys recommend the C70 vs the BC edition? Curious.

and ejj, how on earth can I sell this beauty of an altitude?
    Well, that's a bike I'm keen on--but I am a 29er guy. The best money is to keep the Altitude and buy some new wheel sets and tires. 26x2.8 or 3.0.

I rode the Altitude this summer and it was awesome. I'm just obsessed with the freight-train feel of 29ers. I'm not crazy for the Switchblade because it is a BIG bike. The 429 Trail needs new moulds--they are clearly on the list for an update.

The Alti and Instinct are really the same bike with different wheel sizes. I like the RM carbon bikes because they are quite light. The Pivot bikes are really well made and designed--you just need to like the combo of fit and geo.