Instinct Alloy 70 or Carbon 70 Pro's vs Cons- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Instinct Alloy 70 or Carbon 70 Pro's vs Cons

1st let me say its Amazing that a company would spec out a Aluminum frame bike with the equipment that the Alloy 70 has !!! so it's kinda got me looking that way but wanted to see what you guys thought about the two bikes since they are the same except the frame and wheel set ??

I have not seen weight posted but you can bet it's only a pound or two difference between the two... Pricing is $ 1100.00 more for the Carbon.

Instinct Alloy 70 $ 4199.00

Instinct Carbon 70 $ 5299.00

Your thoughts...

ups and downs
    $1000 is about the cost difference you'd expect for the carbon frame, there's a bit of an upgrade to the wheel set, but the bulk of that is the frame. It's likely about 1.5 pounds difference in frame weight if it was a large.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky1528 View Post
    1st let me say its Amazing that a company would spec out a Aluminum frame bike with the equipment that the Alloy 70 has !!! so it's kinda got me looking that way but wanted to see what you guys thought about the two bikes since they are the same except the frame and wheel set ??

I have not seen weight posted but you can bet it's only a pound or two difference between the two... Pricing is $ 1100.00 more for the Carbon.

Instinct Alloy 70 $ 4199.00

Instinct Carbon 70 $ 5299.00

Your thoughts...
    I like the wheels on the C70 better - much better (albeit a little heavier) rim. Other than that you're looking at a carbon front triangle vs an aluminum front triangle. All else is identical.

If you've got the $5300, get the A70 and a nice set of wheels. Otherwise, the A70 is a great bike as is for a LOT less money. I doubt you'd notice a difference in the ride.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Note the C70 is a full carbon frame. Not just a front triangle upgrade.
    Director of Product
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I vote for the A70. I love mine, but did have to get new wheels built up. Destroyed the stock rims within a month, but Flows laced to the stock hubs cost about $350.

I have pretty much decided to stick with aluminum from now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've owned a number of carbon bikes and now ride aluminum. I can ride the same trails at the same pace and haven't once thought my bike would be better in carbon. Get the A70 and upgrade the wheels when you trash them.

mtbr member
    I bought the A70 and love it. Went through same thought process. Previous 3 bikes were carbon. Back in love with aluminum. Can't feel the weight penalty to be honest. My backpack weighs 3 times as much.... only thing I am bummed about is not being able to bump Fox 34 fork from 140 to 150 or 160mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Doesn’t the A70 also come with a DPX2 PE vs the C70’s DPS PE?

I bought a C70 because of a deal I couldn’t pass up, but the value of the A70 is hard to ignore at MSRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Anybody know the weight of the A70? At $4199 you'd expect a carbon frame, but it does come with a great build kit. I wanted the C50, but there are none available through my local bike shop at the moment, only A70's. Given Rocky's shorter warranty period, I want the most durable Instinct I can get.

BigSki
    Jan 2014
    I know this is not too timely...I picked up my 2018 A70 last year for $400 under list--LBS was great to work with. My XL with saddle and pedal weighed just over 30lbs. Love the bike and looking forward to really dialing it in this year.