ideas on how to mount another water bottle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ideas on how to mount another water bottle?

Hi

How will you mount the second waterholder in this element frame...
    I was think of using a larger bolt with some washers to take the gap of the braze from the front der...
    Should I be concerned about the weight of the bottle against the frame with a "langer than normal" bolt?...or it`s just fine?...

thanks a lot!
    bye
    Attached Images Attached Images

chips & bier
    Some bottle holders will even pass over the derailleur clamp. That or you could make a cutout (which would work on the Elite holders I use). Washers should be fine as well, IMHO.

ups and downs
    An ideal washer would be something like the thick convex/concave spacer/washer combo from a V-brake pad so it self centres and aligns with the frame's bolt insert and the cage. Usually the only thing that will damage a WB bolt insert is a very long bolt in a single insert with lots of leverage, or extreme overtightening of a bolt.

mtbr member

element clearance

My bottle cage (BBB brand) clears the deraileur clamp because the bolt holes aren't flush, but rather outboard. If you want to use a bottle cage that has flush bolt holes, the classic trick is to get the valve stem nut from a presta inner tube and insert it between the bolt head and the frame. There's enough flat area on the frame that this works without the need to get fancy concave washers.

Couple other thoughts on Element clearance issues I've noticed on my 19.0 frame:

1) The top of the seat tube water bottle (small) just barely clears the suspension pivot mount. Even still, the bottom of the bottle then rubbed my downtube (in the spot where they place the size sticker). So everything **just** fits on a 19" frame. I put protective tab in the rub areas.

2) More of question: why does Rocky alway spec a bottom swing front deraileur ? Anyone know if there's a clearance issue between a top-swing deraileur and the lower waterbottle bolt ??

3) All the RMB team riders seem to use metal bottle cages on their elements. Haven't seen them with profile plastics or elite carbons etc....

ups and downs
    It looks like it would be pretty close for potential interference between the bottom boss bolt and a wide clamp top swing FD. A narrower band clamp top swing FD like XTR likely has enough clearance.

I have a gazillion V-brake washer/spacer sets from years of accumulated pads and parts and have no use now that all my bikes are disc equipped, I'm always trying to find uses for all these spacers.

Some of the Team hardtails are using plastic bottle cages.(pic from St.Felicien from my summer vacation) It must be a rider preference thing.I use a Camelback all the time to carry all the other stuff (pumps, tubes, tools, batteries, ...oh yeah water too) I got tired of having water bottles act like depth charges launched from a PT boat.

mtbr member
    Here's an alternative, great for those mid ride Tim Horton's double double's ......... camera phones are great.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpipes
    Here's an alternative, great for those mid ride Tim Horton's double double's ......... camera phones are great.
    Ooooo cup holders. Must be a Lexus...

Seamus McGrath, Max Plaxton, Raphael Gagne and Jean Ann McKirdy use metal cages, Matt Hadley and Marie-Helene Premont run plastic cages.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 12-12-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0