Element weight??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Element weight??

I ride a RM Element RSL970 with Fox Performance 34 fork and 180mm rotor up front 160mm at back on XT brakes and shifters + 11-46 cassette and Raceface Turbine crank + handlebar and with a Rockshox dropper. I bought this to be my XC/marathon bike but Iím a bit dissapointed with the weight (= around 25,5pounds/12,4kg).

When I startend searching the internet for other Elements, I found several owners claiming their rigs weigh around or less than 23pounds.

Trying to put the bars in Carbon and removing the dropper + switching from XT to XX1 or XTR + SC34 factory instead of the performance will get the bike down to a sub-23 pounds bike?? No matter how hard I try to find all the weights of the products, I really canít seem to get it to a sub-23 bike, although some claim to have it like that WITH a dropper installed!

So are there some element-owners who like to show their rig on the scale and the according build? This could help me not to buy the wrong stuff for my bike because normally all frames have the same weight since 2017, donít they??

Iím on a Large.

ccm
    aka Taprider
    are the sub 23 bikes with or without pedals?
    also the scale queens usually have narrow carbon rims, light sidewall with small knob tires, ~100gm non-marathon & non-taint friendly saddles, ESI or lighter foam grips, and Fox SC32 instead of a 34

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Indeed ccm, them wweighnies do crazy stuff to go as low as possible, but upgrading your bike costs money, so I just want to buy the right stuff = not going for absolute minimal weight, because it must stay safe if you go down rough stuff.
    So, go weigh your elements and post your pic here, maybe mine isnít the heaviest one out there + if you can post your gear with it so I know what to do.

ccm
    aka Taprider
    Your bike is lighter than my 26.1 lb, even though I have XTR. But mine is set up for Marathon and bikepack racing (Arch rims, Nobby Nics with snake skin and full amount of sealant, 2x11, and dropper). I built it up from the frame and chose everything individually, so I would not suggest doing anything to make your bike lighter, just ride it since it's light enough to not handicap you (unless you are an World Cup XC racer, in which case you would not be paying for those carbon rims and cranks anyway)

mtbr member
    I have a med frame 2019 Element C50, out of the box with pedals was 26.0lbs, this is my 2019 XC race bike and I put it on a simple diet to cut easy weight.

New Rotors Ashima 160mm
    New Carbon Seat and seat post
    New Carbon bars and Renthal 30mm Stem

I'll toss it on the scale tomorrow and see what it weighs now.

Would love to have some super sweet lightweight XC wheels, but dont have the extra cash for that YET!

Its much easier for you to lose weight than it is cutting weight on a bike.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I just built a bike on a 2018 Element full carbon frame, Fox 34 performance elite, carbon wheels, xt gears. It ended up at 11.4 kg with dropper post. A bit heavier than I hoped but that fork is quite heavy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have just built up a 2017 Element T.O frame with a 120mm Pike, XX1, eeWing cranks, DB Air IL shock, Stand Crest on DT350, Ikon/Ardent Race, carbon bar, alloy post and stem, Gobi saddle, silicone grips and CB Candy Ti pedals. Weight is 24.5lb with the pedals and Garmin mount.
    Large frame with shock was 5.35lbs.
    I think sub 23 would have to have some serious weenie kit on!

mtbr member
    I saw a 2019 C90 Element XCO put on the scale last night...
    WITH TUBES , NO PEDALS 23.03lbs

MY 2019 C50 Element sets right at 26.4lbs, with big 2.35 Ikon rear and a 2.25 Rekon both tubeless with 4 plus ounces of sealant.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    I saw a 2019 C90 Element XCO put on the scale last night...
    WITH TUBES , NO PEDALS 23.03lbs

MY 2019 C50 Element sets right at 26.4lbs, with big 2.35 Ikon rear and a 2.25 Rekon both tubeless with 4 plus ounces of sealant.
    Here's my Element:
    Frame 2017 TO
    Fork Fox 34 Kashima
    Fox DPS with remote
    Next bar and cranks
    TLM Level Brakes
    Sram gx 11v transmission
    Reverb drop post
    Space Carbon Wheels
    Rekon EXO 2,25 and Aspen Exo 2,25
    two bottle cages
    XTR pedals
    11,2 kilos in large..
    i think it could get under 11 kilos switching to a 34 stepcast and going without the exo protection (and yes, eagle transmission), but I don't care that much

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Stock C70 build without pedals and with a tube in front: 26.1lbs

Tubeless DHF/Aggressor 2.3 3C Exo setup without pedals: 27lbs.

I could definitely shave a lot of weight in the crank, bars, cassette, etc but leaving as-is for now. I wanted a trail version for long rides in the high country so I wonít mind the heavy tires. Can always go back to scary tires when I want.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    My 2019 C50 XCO, With Stans Valors, Fox Factory 32 SC forks, Truvativ Carbon Flat bar, Ritchey Stem, Full XX1 Eagle DUB drivetrain, Dropper, 2.25 Aspens front and rear is at 11.51kg... (25.38lbs)

Pretty lardy to be honest... Considering I have a 2019 Giant Anthem Adv Pro1 with identical spec and it 10.46kg... (23.06lbs) front and rear

I cant lie though, even with the extra "phat" it is faster almost everywhere than the Anthem???? I just think its balance is better. It surprises me every ride. It never feels as fast, but usually is faster. MAybe its the not on the ragged edge feeling??

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just got my c90 built up. Pretty much stock build with 12 sp xtr, changed fr ring to a 34T, swapped wheels to a set of We Are One Revives with centerlock 240 hubs, added a fox transfer post and the weight with xtr pedals is bang on 24lbs. Heavier than I was hoping for, but much more flexible of a bike with the dropper and ride 9. Not a lot of weight in the wheels too, so I am sure it will pedal like a lighter bike.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by adub1978 View Post
    Just got my c90 built up. Pretty much stock build with 12 sp xtr, changed fr ring to a 34T, swapped wheels to a set of We Are One Revives with centerlock 240 hubs, added a fox transfer post and the weight with xtr pedals is bang on 24lbs. Heavier than I was hoping for, but much more flexible of a bike with the dropper and ride 9. Not a lot of weight in the wheels too, so I am sure it will pedal like a lighter bike.
    What size do you have?
    I have access to a carbon rear end, and Im trying to decide if it will be worth it...
    Im a Large at the moment. There is obviously more than a 250-300g weight savings in the carbon rear end if my porker is at 11.51 (you are 10.89kg) with a similar build to yours but with an Alloy rear end???
    What colourway did you get.
    I love the thing though

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXJIM View Post
    What size do you have?
    I have access to a carbon rear end, and Im trying to decide if it will be worth it...
    Im a Large at the moment. There is obviously more than a 250-300g weight savings in the carbon rear end if my porker is at 11.51 (you are 10.89kg) with a similar build to yours but with an Alloy rear end???
    I love the thing though
    I'm a size L. I can't see the carbon rr end being that much of a savings. The wheels are quite a bit lighter than stock.
    I'm the red and black guy

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by adub1978 View Post
    I'm a size L. I can't see the carbon rr end being that much of a savings. The wheels are quite a bit lighter than stock.
    I'm the red and black guy
    Hmm, Im a Large too. Orange and Grey though
    Word from Rocky was a suspected 250g(ish) saving with the carbon rear end, along with it being much stiffer.
    Im running Stans Valors Pro (not too many lighter wheelsets out there at 1290g) with Aspens. I do have a 120mm Giant contact Dropper Post, but its only 80g heavier than the Fox Transfer. My stock SLX brakes are 170g heavier than your XTR levers and calipers, but it still doesnt add up with the roughly 500 g savings it puts me right at 11kg...
    Maybe the orange paint job is heavier ha ha. (it would maybe explain why none of the "team" riders are on one??)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am running the stock ikons and my weight does include a k edge mount and ti water bottle cage.
    Maybe my sealant has an effect on the weight.
    I'l shoot a pic soon

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Element weight??-20190615_064807.jpgElement weight??-20190615_064857.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2019
    They are a pretty bike! They ride as good as they look too.
    Im running 60mls of Stans in the back and maybe 40-50mls in the front. Also ESI grips. Aspens are good chunk lighter than the Ikons too.Element weight??-img_7857.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeahman, yours looks rad

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXJIM View Post
    What size do you have?
    I love the thing though
    I had to replace a cracked 2018 C50 rear aluminum triangle size large and upgraded to to carbon

Aluminum with bearing 967 grams
    Carbon with Bearing 636 grams
    331 grams 0.73 # I have pictures on the scale was a larger weight savings than I expected.

Size Large Frame weight 2329 grams without derailleur hanger and seat clamp

mtbr member
    Hello all!

Sorry to take this a little sideways, but since many of you are riding a Large, I was curious as to sizing. I'm 5-9 and seem to be right in the middle of a M and L... I hate to ask online, I just don't have a dealer near me to check in person. (and I realize there are many other factors to sizing, just trying to ballpark it)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tar wheels View Post
    Hello all!

Sorry to take this a little sideways, but since many of you are riding a Large, I was curious as to sizing. I'm 5-9 and seem to be right in the middle of a M and L... I hate to ask online, I just don't have a dealer near me to check in person. (and I realize there are many other factors to sizing, just trying to ballpark it)
    I'm 5'10" and Ride a Large with 70mm stem, 2018 Element set at Ride 4 setting has shorter reach than most 2020-21 100mm bikes at 446mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Im 5'8" and ride a large with a 50mm stem. I do have long legs for my height. I cant really imagine riding a medium even though i have in the past with other brands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beardi View Post
    Im 5'8" and ride a large with a 50mm stem. I do have long legs for my height. I cant really imagine riding a medium even though i have in the past with other brands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle View Post
    I'm 5'10" and Ride a Large with 70mm stem, 2018 Element set at Ride 4 setting has shorter reach than most 2020-21 100mm bikes at 446mm
    Thank you! Great to know.