Element: Anyone ditch the lockout- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Element: Anyone ditch the lockout

So I'm loving my 2019 Element.

The only thing I'm not too crazy about is bobbing on smoother climbs with the shock open. I'm running it at 20% sag with max volume spacers and the Ride 9 in the slackest position. It may be more prone to this with the elliptical chainring I'm using.

Has anyone had the shock rebuilt with a new eyelet that has the 3way switch instead of the lockout? I'm thinking of going that way for the set-it-and-forget-it middle position.

Any other suggestions beside the shock rebuild?

Thanks
    The poster formerly known as 800_lb_gorilla

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How long since your shock has had a service? Shocks in need of service often sag more than they should.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks. Behaved that way from new. Excessive sag isnít the problem. Bobbing is.

ups and downs
    I did that with my 2015 Thunderbolt with the lockout shock, but I took a much easier and less expensive approach. Switch the lockout lever to the middle position where it works for you. Take a Sharpie and mark the position of the lockout cable rotator on the shock in reference to the fixed cable stop. Remove the lockout cable and insert a short piece of shifter inner cable into the cable stop and then rotate the lockout valve on the shock until it matches the Sharpie mark, then tighten the set screw for the lockout cable. The short fixed piece of cable takes the place of the lockout cable. You will have the shock in the same middle position without the expense of the lockout valve replacement, and it is reversible when you sell the bike.

Unfortunately I can't find the photos I took of that arrangement.

edit: The shock photos are in this thread

https://forums.mtbr.com/rocky-mounta...l#post13799632
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    why the increase in spacers? that will definitely make the initial travel more active and prone to bob. removing spacers will allow you to increase air pressure and offer more pedalling support, in effect bahving more like the trail setting. Might be worth a go before going to the effort of shock modification. have you tried other ride 9 settings and their effect on the rear shock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks

@rockyuphill, it's a 2-position lockout (open or closed), not the older 3-position lockout. I'd be happy if it were 3-position.

@beardi--good points. For trail riding, things are fine--the suspension is great on techy climbs and the spacers let me run full sag without worrying about bottoming out on the descents. I could use your approach (which would necessarily mean less sag) for racing, but was thinking converting the shock to the 3-way switch would let me make that adjustment on the fly rather than home in the workshop. I suspect the more upright ride-9 settings would give more early stroke support, but I'm digging the lower, slacker geometry. Experimenting over the fall may be the way to go, though.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah I hear you, in regards to the trade-off required by the ride 9. I kind of prefer how the suspension works at the steeper head angles because I couldn't come close to using all the travel, even with 40% sag, in the slackers setting. I'm considering an angleset headset to leave the suspension as I like it but lower the BB and slacken in out to 68 ish.