Demo Day - Pipeline & Thunderbolt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Demo Day - Pipeline & Thunderbolt

There's a Demo day here in DFW on Valentine's day. I ride a Small in almost any model. So, I have my choice of Pipeline, Thunderbolt and Altitude in Small. I'm very interested in a FS 27.5+ bike that is lively. I have a '17 Stache 5 which is a blast. I'm thinking I'll give the Pipeline and Thunderbolt a go. I just don't know that I have a need for the Altitude here in N. TX. Realistically, I don't think I'd go further than Central TX or Bentonville, AR. Neither of which I've ridden, but locals and family seem to indicate that a 120-140mm suspension is more than enough.

I'm 27.5+ curious b/c I'm having such a good time on my 29x3.0 tires. Anyone have insights on the Pipeline vs Thunderbolt. Obviously, I'll get some time on each this week. But curious how folks would consider the strengths of each. Thx!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    If you get a chance, try that altitude. It might surprise you with how nimble it is.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had a short demo on a medium 27.5 thunderbolt recently and wasn't a big fan. Admittedly, I think everything that could be incorrectly set up on the bike was. The one thing I didn't care for that may not have been setup or 27.5vs29 related was the stack - it felt super low to me. Maybe it was in the steepest configuration or something?

contains quinine
    I occaisionally ride my wife's thunderbolt, it's a nice cross-country oriented bike, but I really like my Pipeline. Traction for days with the big tires. I've got it set up with 29er wheels, and like that a ton as well.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    I demo'ed a Pipeline 27.5+ only today. After a half hour on the bike, I really like it. Spoke with the RockyMountain rep about the other bikes, Thunderbolt and Altitude. Given my time and fitness, I felt I got a solid feel for the Pipeline and it's 140mm of travel. What I found interesting was the explanation that the Pipeline could be taken out to 150mm in the rear and a 160mm in the front. This combined with the 27.5, 27.5+, and 29 wheel options gave me the impression that it would be a solid start or ending point.

The 27.5+ wheels felt as expected, the C70 bike felt lighter and spun up easier. On some short climbs, I felt a very small amount of pedal bob and it didn't really bother me. I'm sure it could be adjusted out with a proper set up.

With limited time, I made sure I'd have time to get in an equal amount of time on my Stache. I immediately felt at home on my Stache. While the Pipeline felt lighter under body (side-to-side), the Stache felt sharper at turning. The larger wheels really kept the momentumn much better, but then I felt it in the climbs. The Pipeline's GX build and XT brakes, but my Stache's Deore and M315 (what are those?) brakes to shame. If nothing else, the demo sold me on a drivetrain upgrade.

The RockyMountain crew were awesome. I'll definitely give the Pipeline strong consideration when it's time to add a FS to the stable. Thanks all for the input.

mtbr member
    YEAH, the RM Crew are some good fellas and Parker is a Really solid guy with tons of knowledge. The cool thing about the RM is you can change the geometry relatively easy with the ride9 setup. If you decide you want a RM make the trip out to Weatherford and Josh (Unspoken Bike Shop) will get you set up and even has financing options.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    YEAH, the RM Crew are some good fellas and Parker is a Really solid guy with tons of knowledge. The cool thing about the RM is you can change the geometry relatively easy with the ride9 setup. If you decide you want a RM make the trip out to Weatherford and Josh (Unspoken Bike Shop) will get you set up and even has financing options.
    RIGHT!? Parker is half the reason I purchased Rocky. Hes awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Parker and Camden are AWESOME fellas. Those two sold me on the Rocky brand last year when I got my Instinct. A year later I made it a point to just show up at their Houston demo to catch up with them and get a lap in rolling as their caboose. Those guys can ride!