Converted my 2016 Thunderbolt to 1x- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Converted my 2016 Thunderbolt to 1x

Decided to convert my bike to a one by and learn more about bike maintenance at the same time.

Started with lots of research on gearing and chainlines and things seems to have worked out. Didnít want to loose any lower gears, actually wanted to be able to go a little lower.

Ended up ordering:
    - Race Face 30T Narrow Wide (104BCD)
    - Sun Race MX3 10 speed 11-46T Cassette
    - Goatlink 10 speed derailleur extender
    - Longer b screw

The swap was fairly straight forward and with just one slightly stuck chainring bolt it came part and cleaned up. Old big ring was missing a couple teeth

After assembly I realized that the size of the cassette big ring (and actually the second last too) was too tight I found out a out the GoatLink and managed to find one in town at a local bike store. Still found after that was installed that it was slight right on the large 46T ring. Found a longer b screw screw courtesy of a another local bike shop and now it works very well.

First ride out and it held up nice. Did find the b screw loosened out a bit so added a little blue lock tight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juched View Post
    Decided to convert my bike to a one by and learn more about bike maintenance at the same time.

Started with lots of research on gearing and chainlines and things seems to have worked out. Didnít want to loose any lower gears, actually wanted to be able to go a little lower.

Ended up ordering:
    - Race Face 30T Narrow Wide (104BCD)
    - Sun Race MX3 10 speed 11-46T Cassette
    - Goatlink 10 speed derailleur extender
    - Longer b screw

The swap was fairly straight forward and with just one slightly stuck chainring bolt it came part and cleaned up. Old big ring was missing a couple teeth

After assembly I realized that the size of the cassette big ring (and actually the second last too) was too tight I found out a out the GoatLink and managed to find one in town at a local bike store. Still found after that was installed that it was slight right on the large 46T ring. Found a longer b screw screw courtesy of a another local bike shop and now it works very well.

First ride out and it held up nice. Did find the b screw loosened out a bit so added a little blue lock tight.

Lengthen your chain! Holy shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    This is it on the smallest gear. Canít really go to much longer. But will do.

ups and downs
    Page 12 of this Shimano manual shows how to size the chain properly

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RD0004-09-ENG.pdf
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member

Converted my 2016 Thunderbolt to 1x

Quote Originally Posted by juched View Post
    This is it on the smallest gear. Canít really go to much longer. But will do.
    Seeing this is 1x. you want your derailleur to have zero chain tension on it in the smallest gear. Run the chain thru and connect it so it has a slight bit of tension on the cage.

I did this for my 1x11 10-46 and it works flawlessly and mine is a hardtail. If you bottomed in that big ring it would be nasty.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Seeing this is 1x. you want your derailleur to have zero chain tension on it in the smallest gear. Run the chain thru and connect it so it has a slight bit of tension on the cage.

I did this for my 1x11 10-46 and it works flawlessly and mine is a hardtail. If you bottomed in that big ring it would be nasty.
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    I did something very similar on my '14 Thunderbolt. Ordered a RaceFace 30T Narrow-wide chain ring, a new clutch derailleur and a new chain and cassette. I stuck with a standard 11-34 10sp cassette but I have never wanted for range in riding Ontario/Vermont trails. As far as I am concerned no mountain bike should ever have a front derailleur any more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Got a new chain. While the measurement from the old chain matched what a normal sizing asks for (plus two links) from the pic you can see it looks short.

So I tried 4 links but on the smallest cog the chain hung loose slightly. Removed one more link and now it seems tight enough.

Shifting with a new chain is much more spot on. I should have never reused the old chain, even though my chain stretch tool didnít show it was worn out. Glad to have leaned a lot doing this conversion.