Altitude or Thunderbolt ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Altitude or Thunderbolt ?

Hi all.

not really knowing the Rocky mountain brand here in the UK. I can get some really good deals on the 18 models.

The two that are standing out are the altitude carbon 70 or the thunderbolt BC edition. They are roughly the same weight (27lbs) but the altitude has 20mm more travel, which would be the better all round bike ? I ride mainly trail centres, with a blue/red run bike park trip occasionally and the odd all day adventure thrown in.

thanks for helping out this confused Brit, as you things are really CONFUSING over here at the mo

ups and downs
    The Altitude would be better for bike park days and still do just fine on the trail centre and all day adventures.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've heard people compare the Altitude and Tbolt BC Edition before and for me it comes down to this.

If you feel like you need/want the capability of the Fox 36 wouldn't you also want to pair that fork with an equally capable shock? The dpx2 on the Altitude out performs the dps basically everywhere and still has plenty of pop to liven up any trail. For me, the Altitude is the clear and easy choice.

If your riding style or terrain don't require the Fox 36, get the Carbon 70 Thunderbolt as it will feel more snappy and playful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks for your replies.

Ive just ordered the Altitude carbon 70 2018, at $2600 (2000) off retail, it was a no brainer.

What also swung the decision was the dirtwire YouTube review and he said if you a 40+ yr old and worried about head angles and suspension travel, just buy this bike and dont worry about it

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mendipAl View Post
    Thanks for your replies.

Ive just ordered the Altitude carbon 70 2018, at $2600 (2000) off retail, it was a no brainer.

What also swung the decision was the dirtwire YouTube review and he said if you a 40+ yr old and worried about head angles and suspension travel, just buy this bike and dont worry about it
    Having ridden with Tom of "dirtwire tv" I can tell you he is an excellent rider with decades of riding and racing. Very good info on his channel all be it a little goofy at times.

I rode the Altitude Carbon 70 last season and loved it! Best 27.5 wheel size trail bike available right now in my experience!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Any difference in kinematics / climbing ability that anyone can comment on?