The 2021 Instinct Speculation Thread- Mtbr.com
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

The 2021 Instinct Speculation Thread

Heard a rumor there are some test mules out in the wild.
    Figured we have almost a year to speculate, so why not start a thread!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    OK, I will play. I've owned the last two generations of the BC Edition so this will be what I hope for the BC. Of course we are getting longer, lower and slacker, but I'm hopping not much lower. I really like the higher BB the Instinct has over most of the competition, pedal strikes suck! I'm hoping a head angle 1 to 1.5 degrees slacker(64.5 to 65 degrees). Thinking the same change for the seat angle of 1 to 2 degrees steeper, this with a longer reach to give a similar to slightly longer top tube length then it currently has. I hope they keep the frame weight down so under 30 lbs real world builds are still achievable.

It seems that everything coming out at the end of last year was super long and slack like the Norco Sight which is great for steep terrain, but I need a quiver killer that will be just as good and fun on epic singletrack days as it is at the bike park.

The last couple weeks the competition has released two bikes, the Pivot Switchblade and the Ibis Ripmo. These are more inline of what I'm hoping for. Light, aggressive geo, but not to the extreme that it hurts climbing ability and the need for super steep terrain to bring it to life, but will be a bit faster and more stable then the current model.

I'm not a big fan of DW link bikes, but the Ripmo is an excellent bench mark to shoot for. A bike that can be fun anywhere, can be a lightweight or can be built to compete at the highest level of Enduro racing while still be able to climb like a shorter travel bike. Sounds like the current Instinct! I trust the engineers at Rocky to evolve this current great bike into an even better bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcyr View Post
    OK, I will play. I've owned the last two generations of the BC Edition so this will be what I hope for the BC. Of course we are getting longer, lower and slacker, but I'm hopping not much lower. I really like the higher BB the Instinct has over most of the competition, pedal strikes suck! I'm hoping a head angle 1 to 1.5 degrees slacker(64.5 to 65 degrees). Thinking the same change for the seat angle of 1 to 2 degrees steeper, this with a longer reach to give a similar to slightly longer top tube length then it currently has. I hope they keep the frame weight down so under 30 lbs real world builds are still achievable.

It seems that everything coming out at the end of last year was super long and slack like the Norco Sight which is great for steep terrain, but I need a quiver killer that will be just as good and fun on epic singletrack days as it is at the bike park.

The last couple weeks the competition has released two bikes, the Pivot Switchblade and the Ibis Ripmo. These are more inline of what I'm hoping for. Light, aggressive geo, but not to the extreme that it hurts climbing ability and the need for super steep terrain to bring it to life, but will be a bit faster and more stable then the current model.

I'm not a big fan of DW link bikes, but the Ripmo is an excellent bench mark to shoot for. A bike that can be fun anywhere, can be a lightweight or can be built to compete at the highest level of Enduro racing while still be able to climb like a shorter travel bike. Sounds like the current Instinct! I trust the engineers at Rocky to evolve this current great bike into an even better bike.
    I have a feeling that the new normal instinct will be a lot like what you describe here.

From what I hear the new BC is going to be a ‘proper enduro bike’
    I think the factory guys will be racing it at some point soon and I bet it’s a lot longer and slacker than the current BC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Interesting.... I see on Instagram that Jessie and Remi are riding Slayers with air suspension right now, but Jesse says he is undecided on what bike he will race this season. I figured it was between the current BC and the Slayer, but the new BC maybe a factor then. These guys seem to stick to one bike model for the whole season so they are good and comfortable on it, so we maybe seeing the new BC sooner then later?

Having a nice day!
    Seems like going bigger with the Instinct would leave a big gap between it and the Element on the 29er offerings. And I'm with bcyr...pedal strikes suck! So please don't go stupid low!

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    as far as i know the instinct will get a geo update, suspension will 140mm (150mm) front 140mm rear!

the altitude changed to 29 "wheels! so this will replace the place of the instinct bc

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Heard that too.
    Will probably get the new Altitude, but not until I actually ride one.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Having a nice day!
    Hmmm, may have to keep my eye out for some deals on 27.5 Altitude frames...

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Hey, are there new rumours, pics or infos? I am really looking forward to a rocky alternative to the new norco optic, Kona process or Santa tallboy...and my first 29er after 2019 thunderbolt still is 650b. Or will there be a Thunderbolt 29er Update? Guess not as this would be the instinct.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Any link to info about the 2021 altitude and it having 29r wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    No more info here...

In august we go to the dealerdays 2021 ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am 100% buying a RM Instinct in the next 12 months. What I don't know is if I should jump on a 2020 or wait for the 2021 frame...? The black and dark green is ok, but they might have a different, better color next year. I'm really not a fan of the maroon and cream color combo.
    Anyone have any idea what colors we might see next year?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I have seen glimpses at my local bike shop. Matt black front with gloss black RM writing and sky blue like colour on the rear. Looks great. I would wait for 2021 but not because of the colour schemes but rather an updated geometry - gonna be longer and slacker! Carbon 50 will come with xt brakes and gears, which has a new shifting under load feature. Smaller sizes will come in 27.5 wheel size and larger in 29.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Jesse appears to be riding a prototype on his insta.

rjl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by leicha View Post
    Jesse appears to be riding a prototype on his insta.
    I'm guessing that's more likely the new Altitude, which will be taking the spot of what used to be the Instinct BC. Although Jesse said in the comments it's just a wrap on his bike.

The new Altitude will probably be announced in August, and available in September.

From what I've gathered, the new Instinct won't be available until 2021.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Bike shop prelook-ish

At my local bike shop, I was able to see the 2021 instinct on computer, and it will be coming with a purple and beige match or a green and black match. My shop said that they had did something to the frame of the instinct for this year, but the specs I would assume that they haven't released yet, though the price for the A50 this year is going to be over 4,000.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Now that the new Altitude has been announced, any updates on the New Instinct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatpancakes View Post
    Now that the new Altitude has been announced, any updates on the New Instinct?
    The Instinct will be no more, according to one first look videos on YouTube regarding the Altitude...

Think it was on Pinkbike...??

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    The Instinct will be no more, according to one first look videos on YouTube regarding the Altitude...

Think it was on Pinkbike...??

Well no, Pinkbike said that Rocky combined the Instinct BC with the Altitude. There was no mention of the Instinct going away.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    the instinct abides, covid/trade war delays on release

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeeyeemtb View Post
    Well no, Pinkbike said that Rocky combined the Instinct BC with the Altitude. There was no mention of the Instinct going away.
    Oh you're right...

It's now called the 'Altitude'!!

"Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    I pre-ordered Instinct 2021. Resellers have the characteristics on their computers. in France the availability of instinct is for February 2021.
    150 front and 140 rear travel.
    the color blanks are YT blue and black ....