2021 Element- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2021 Element

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

2021 Element

Does anyone know whether the 2021 element models are going to go through some geometry changes? Platform redesign? Frame changes?
    I own a 2019 Element C50 that was totaled in a car accident (while transporting the bike) and I need a new bike.

I compared it to the new KTM Scarp MT Master (https://www.ktm-bikes.at/nc/en/biked...mt-master.html), and it seems that the Rocky is getting a bit old and the competition is moving to more updated geometries.
    Any information would help me to make a decision.
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    There's nothing so far to suggest that there will be a platform update.

Go get a Top Fuel or something.

ccm
    aka Taprider
    I heard not until 2022
    I wouldn't say the other brands are more updated just more trendy.
    You can always experiment with an angle adjust headset. I have but I find that I really have to extra weight the front tire to keep it from washing out on flat corners, so there is a limit to how slack and long you can go
    Last edited by ccm; 06-27-2020 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The new Kona Hei Hei might be an option of interest to you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I ended up buying a 2020 Element C70.
    I'm very satisfied with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I ride a 2018 Element C70 and demoed the Revel Ranger, heavier than my Element that weighs in at 23.5#but peddled better IMO and had a firmer platform than the 4 bars Horst link Element.

if you're looking at a Down Country Bike, I work at Specialized dealer and the new
    Epic EVO without the brain shock is very intriguing.

https://www.revelbikes.com/our-bikes/ranger/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi ccm,
    Im thinking about an angleset on my 2018 c50. I prefer the suspension performance in the steepest ride 9 setting but of course would prefr a slightly lacker HA. Which headset did you fit and how do you find the bike now? Any insight would be appreciated

ccm
    aka Taprider
    I got the Works Components one. You have to mail order because local bike shops don't carry them.
    Installation was pretty easy. I got the 1.5 degree one. I can see the difference of where the front axle is while pedaling, but it didn't make a night and day difference, I quickly adjusted to the difference in turning radius and other small differences. I have yet to go back to neutral to see if it really feels better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ccm View Post
    I got the Works Components one. You have to mail order because local bike shops don't carry them.
    Installation was pretty easy. I got the 1.5 degree one. I can see the difference of where the front axle is while pedaling, but it didn't make a night and day difference, I quickly adjusted to the difference in turning radius and other small differences. I have yet to go back to neutral to see if it really feels better.
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I was thinking 1.5 would be nice so I'll give the works a go. Cheers

ccm
    aka Taprider
    Funny timing this thread. My Works started making lots of noise today and needs new bearings, so my original Cane Creek just went back on. Lets see if my bike is now unrideable tomorrow ;-)

ccm
    aka Taprider
    OK I just finished North Shore ride on Fromme in greasy conditions. I didn't miss my Works headset (67.5 degrees) when I went back to my original headset (69 degrees).

Maybe the 69 degree head angle let me get more grip on the slimy roots in the tight corners, maybe my fork worked better...

There is more to a bike than just head angle and front centre. Yes there is a benefit to slacker as the downhill gets steeper and faster, but also need to change more such as fork travel, tire size etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    ccm, as I recall, your original intention was to run steep ride-9 setting with HA slacker, than 70. Did you try this combo?

ccm
    aka Taprider
    Quote Originally Posted by ionivan View Post
    ccm, as I recall, your original intention was to run steep ride-9 setting with HA slacker, than 70. Did you try this combo?
    No, my intention was always to be longer lower and slacker. I put extra short seat stays on an Element in 2002 to make it lower and slacker and more BC XC (I been doing the down country thing way before it became a thing).

Plus, my fork and shock are tuned really plush when open, and I just frequently use the remote lock out to get a pedaling platform
    Last edited by ccm; 07-16-2020 at 10:02 PM.