2021 Altitude Speculation Thread.- Mtbr.com
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

2021 Altitude Speculation Thread.

As Ben1988 pointed out, word on the street is that the Altitude will be an aggressive 29-er.
    Post what rumor tidbits you have as you get them here!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Why not just have a 2021 speculation thread? The element is getting an update too so you'd better run and make a post about that too.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Probably a good idea...But I am most interested in the lighter, Long travel 29-er options...

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by j-t-g View Post
    Why not just have a 2021 speculation thread? The element is getting an update too so you'd better run and make a post about that too.
    the last update I received is that the element will not receive an update in 2021!

the update will come later end will be 120mm front end rear 120mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Can confirm I heard this too, Element will be a 2022 refresh, as Rocky usually does 5 year cycles according to LBS. Instinct and Altitude are getting refreshes this year according to them, so I think the 2 threads is perfect.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    However, the last Instinct and Altitude refreshes were for ‘18, so things are changing rapidly enough to change that timeline, IMO.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

rjl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Guessing this is it.

Probably see her, Jesse, and Remi racing it tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/A0UPGqZhvk4?t=444

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    you can see it uncovered in the background of the photos of all the other bikes on pinkbike.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Got a link?
    Which article?
    Heard some cool rumors...

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

rjl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It's on the top right in all these pictures:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/10-end...er-series.html

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    You mean the blue on blue splash painted one?
    It’s pretty blurry.
    And FUGLY

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Clipped and put a few filters on this from Jesse's practice video. Can't see much more than the pinkbike photos though

2021 Altitude Speculation Thread.-newrocky.jpg

Off the back...
    Altitude goes 29 for 2021, replacing the Instinct BC bikes. All new frame. Not surprisingly, the Instinct gets an update as well. TBolt will stay 27.5, but without any carbon or high-end builds.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    “Corporate authorized” spy shots

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/spotte...er-series.html

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I heard ALN in an interview say that her bike was 170/150, so I am assuming that the new Altitude has 150 in back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Really hope this bike comes out soon, favorite 27.5 bike I had ridden was the Altitude, now I just want it with modern Geo and big wheels so I can swap parts over. I got excited this morning when they posted the 2021 colorways but still no new bike.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRCD47 View Post
    Really hope this bike comes out soon, favorite 27.5 bike I had ridden was the Altitude, now I just want it with modern Geo and big wheels so I can swap parts over. I got excited this morning when they posted the 2021 colorways but still no new bike.
    Fingers crossed it will come out sometime this week or next. My bet is next Monday it will go live, if not Friday.
    Judging by the bikes they've been racing in British Columbia, it's gonna be rad.

I am going to sell my BC Edition (which is waiting on a new front triangle, but the frame is in perfect condition), and get one of these. That is my plan anyway...
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

Has a cycling disorder
    Not long now...
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

Has a cycling disorder
    I've seen it and it is wicked.
    www.frameskin.com
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy2807 View Post
    I've seen it and it is wicked.
    Tomorrow right? I saw the spec list the other day. Can't decide if I should get the C50, or just suck it up and get the C70...
    Not a big fan of the colors to be honest, would love to get a ride wrap like the enduro team are running, looks so good in that light blue/camo design

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah...it’s released now.
    But colors are more than boring. Waited so eagerly for that new Altitude but will nor switch from my orange, green Instinct BC to an terrible black or dark blue black bike.
    I’ll wait for the 2022 colors

Has a cycling disorder
    www.frameskin.com
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

ups and downs
    Bigger wheels for bigger people, bigger travel

https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/altitude/2021-0
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    it's also now a seven thousand dollar opening price point for carbon in Canada. Gee wiz!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey guys, I was stoked to stumble across this thread last night while I was posting my write up about this bike. This article should answer a bunch of questions folks might have about this bike, it's got a lot more actual info than my video: https://jeffkendallweed.com/a-lifelo...great-sponsor/

The video is much more of a vlog than any kind of review or anything, but maybe you'll enjoy it as well!

FWIW, Im 5'8" and am riding a size medium. It's a great fit, and the bike handles tight and awkward backcountry trails very well. I have limited bike park experience with it, but it seems to be quite capable there as well. I'd love to try a Slayer and see how the two differ- though I can say the Altitude feels pretty similar to my Ripmos in overall trail mannerisms. Just a little steeper seat angle feel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by j-t-g View Post
    it's also now a seven thousand dollar opening price point for carbon in Canada. Gee wiz!
    I was going to get a frame only, but apparently RM is a dentist brand now, $3700 for a frame only? At least with other dentist brands you can still sell them for a decent price, my brother bought his 2018 Altitude frame used for $1200.

29ers Forever
    I will put my name down on an Alloy 70. I thought the color would be different, but the spec looks dialed. The only thing I am stuck on is sizing.
    I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam, and I am concerned that the Medium is too small, but the Large will be too big. I used to ride large bikes before the geometry revolution, and my past three bikes have been mediums. My BC edition is a medium and it is a tad bit short in reach. The new bike claims to have about a 25mm longer reach, which would be good (except the stem is about 5mm shorter), so I worry that it will actually be a smaller bike.
    I just want to make sure I understand what "reach" means on a geo chart before getting another bike that's too small.
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Lol!!

OP's user name threw me off there for a second!

Rocky Mountain bikes have historically run short along the TT (according to the interwebs).

My Spidey senses also confirm the above (never actually ridden one, eyeball measurement FTW, YMMV).

Jesse Melamed certainly makes them come to life.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I will put my name down on an Alloy 70. I thought the color would be different, but the spec looks dialed. The only thing I am stuck on is sizing.
    I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam, and I am concerned that the Medium is too small, but the Large will be too big. I used to ride large bikes before the geometry revolution, and my past three bikes have been mediums. My BC edition is a medium and it is a tad bit short in reach. The new bike claims to have about a 25mm longer reach, which would be good (except the stem is about 5mm shorter), so I worry that it will actually be a smaller bike.
    I just want to make sure I understand what "reach" means on a geo chart before getting another bike that's too small.
    Hey there, from having a couple weeks on the medium now, and being a hair over 5'8", I'd say go large. At 5'10" the medium would probably be a tad small. If anything, consider a shorter stem for that large.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenweed View Post
    Hey there, from having a couple weeks on the medium now, and being a hair over 5'8", I'd say go large. At 5'10" the medium would probably be a tad small. If anything, consider a shorter stem for that large.
    Thank you for your advice!
    I saw your post that you said the bike fits you perfectly, which is what concerned me. I haven't had a "stretched out" feeling on a bike in a while, and I am kind of used to the shorter reach, snappier feeling in a bike.

I haven't ridden a Large mountain bike since the 2016 Instinct, which had a reach of 427 (plus a 60mm stem and 785mm bar). I could only run a 125mm post in the 470mm seattube.

My current (M) BC Edition has a reach of 431 (plus a 45mm stem and 800mm bar), and I can easily run a 150mm post in the 432mm seattube.

The new Altitude has a reach of 455mm (plus a 40mm stem and a 800mm bar), and has a 420mm long seattube. That means I can probably run a 170mm post in that for my relatively "short" legs.

The only comparison to a bike I have ridden recently that is a size Large is my dad's 2020 Slayer in 27.5", which has a reach of 472 (plus a 40mm stem and 780mm bar). I feel like that reach feels as long as I would like to go, so I am not sure how that will translate to the Altitude.

Compared to all of this, the Large Altitude has a reach of 480, which even if I slap a 35mm stem on, would be longer than my dad's bike, and I would want a 800mm bar on it. If the numbers are accurate to how the bike feels, I worry it would be too stretched out. The seattube length is even longer than my current bike, which would mean I have to stick with a 150mm post as well.
    While I know that I can fit on a Large, I hope the 19mm longer reach will be enough to make up the "too small" feeling I have on my current bike, but I think a nearly 2 inch longer reach might be slightly too much for some of the more aggressive riding I like to do. Maybe I just don't understand how a bike should fit or I am severely misinterpreting numbers on a bike. I just don't want to spend $5k on a bike that doesn't fit right, and for some reason I can't stop thinking that I ordered the wrong size.

I will talk to my LBS again when I go to pick up my BC after the new front triangle is put on, but I wish I could compare the two without worrying that they're going to sell out before I make a decision. I want to keep this bike for a long time, especially since I just bought a car and I won't have much of a bike budget moving forward, and this is my last big purchase that I have put money away for.

EDIT: I have a Salsa that I made the mistake of getting in too small of a size, its a M with a 426mm reach. I have been riding it a lot and it feels super responsive without compromising in the climbs. When I had a 70mm stem on it (I swapped that for a 50mm), and a 785mm bar, it felt like it fit perfect for me.
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenweed View Post
    Hey guys, I was stoked to stumble across this thread last night while I was posting my write up about this bike. This article should answer a bunch of questions folks might have about this bike, it's got a lot more actual info than my video: https://jeffkendallweed.com/a-lifelo...great-sponsor/

The video is much more of a vlog than any kind of review or anything, but maybe you'll enjoy it as well!

FWIW, Im 5'8" and am riding a size medium. It's a great fit, and the bike handles tight and awkward backcountry trails very well. I have limited bike park experience with it, but it seems to be quite capable there as well. I'd love to try a Slayer and see how the two differ- though I can say the Altitude feels pretty similar to my Ripmos in overall trail mannerisms. Just a little steeper seat angle feel.

Hey Jeff.....been a longtime ibis rider and was looking for something new to move from my HD4. While the Ripmo is an obvious choice, something a bit more burly has my interest. Was leaning towards a megatower or slash, slayer. Now this Altitude may be the ticket. Giving me some of that all day pedaling, with more aggressive DH than the HD4?