2020 Instinct- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2020 Instinct

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

2020 Instinct

Just got this forwarded to me by a friend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz7j2qWH...=1jz3jroasiksy

Looks like the 2020 bikes may be starting to appear at dealers. Also the 1x12 shimano parts seem to be on the bikes and not holding up deliveries. Here's hoping its not just Australia getting the bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Looks like the Instagram post was removed now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    1. I think we have a really, really healthy thread for the current gen instinct, I'm sure we'd be extremely excited to see it there .

2. Did they remove the Vanderham bike check of the same 2020 colourway? I can't find that anymore either!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky16 View Post
    Looks like the Instagram post was removed now.
    2020 color....I definitely prefer current orange/green style.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Instinct-cf2c4a99-275e-4b66-b580-e1ab568abc3b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by j-t-g View Post
    1. I think we have a really, really healthy thread for the current gen instinct, I'm sure we'd be extremely excited to see it there .

2. Did they remove the Vanderham bike check of the same 2020 colourway? I can't find that anymore either!
    Yeah I know the other thread is there but its very large and thought about creating a new 2020 one. Looks like someone cross posted the first picture already.

As for the the Vanderham bike check. Looks like it was removed also but I believe it was the blue/black colour way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Vanderham's video is no where to be found any longer with the new blue/gold scheme however I saw "peeling" on that vid from the rear chainstay area which looked to be a wrap...maybe a "test" wrap before final paint but I've yet to see him only on the Slayer recently. If you go back to his IG post on June 12 you can see a small section of the Instinct behind him featuring the new blue/gold.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRdWarrior View Post
    If you go back to his IG post on June 12 you can see a small section of the Instinct behind him featuring the new blue/gold.
    Good eye! You can also see it back further on the Mar 28th - Apr 1 posts. Mostly see the matte blue/ matte black combo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Hope

It has to be soon? Anyone know the date?

Page returns an access denied.

2020 Instinct-2019-07-26_11-39-48.png

ups and downs
    2020 Website is live.

Interesting that the Thunderbolt caught up to the 2019 Instinct in travel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Instinct-instinct-bc-2020.jpg  

2020 Instinct-instinct2020.jpg  

2020 Instinct-thunderbolt-2020.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just a shame that the seatube angle is so slack or I'd be arranging a demo on one for sure!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yeah TBolt is now same travel. Basically share the same frame geometry except the 29 vs 27.5 now. Instinct gets a 36 upfront though.

Interesting to see all the reduced offset forks now on all the rides.

Also the Instinct A70 has a pretty sweet build for $1700(CAD) less then the C70.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Interesting that forks are all 36s now (non-BC had 34s before). I like the colours on the BC edition much more than the regular instinct. The blue and gold looks great.
    2018 RMB Element Carbon (custom)
    2017 RMB Element 950 MSL
    1997 RMB Equipe

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Not a professional photographer but here's some pictures of the new bc colors in matte finish... The new instinct white/maroon/orange is killer in person as well...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    That matte blue/black colour scheme looks sweet! At first the white/maroon one looks odd but the more I see it online it looks awesome also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jason04 View Post
    Not a professional photographer but here's some pictures of the new bc colors in matte finish... The new instinct white/maroon/orange is killer in person as well...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    We shall hopefully see a new update/review soon.

Just picked up my "NC" Edition C70 2 weeks ago and l think all 18 and 20 colorways look great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    That matte blue/black colour scheme looks sweet! At first the white/maroon one looks odd but the more I see it online it looks awesome also.
    I need to see that one in person. I can't wrap my head around what I'm seeing with the grey/white and orange/red on maroon. It's either genius or one too many clicks on the colour configuration at RM headquarters.
    2017 RMB Element 950 MSL
    1997 RMB Equipe

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Anyone know when these are to be shipped and available at LBS? Particularly in Canada?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bMTBer View Post
    I need to see that one in person. I can't wrap my head around what I'm seeing with the grey/white and orange/red on maroon. It's either genius or one too many clicks on the colour configuration at RM headquarters.
    You are not alone on this.....I am happy with the 2019 colours for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Interesting that forks are all 36s now (non-BC had 34s before). I like the colours on the BC edition much more than the regular instinct. The blue and gold looks great.
    BC colour is looking great.
    Are they trying to push the ELEMENT more into the trail bike category with no 34 fork option on the Instinct?
    Or other options as discussed in "New Model" thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    >75 deg Esta Is slack

Lol

I think I heard September for availability, it'll be limited so you might have to preorder

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhazard View Post
    Are they trying to push the ELEMENT more into the trail bike category with no 34 fork option on the Instinct?
    Or other options as discussed in "New Model" thread.
    Bingo!

I'll bet we get a bike in between the Element and Instinct or a true "BC Edition" Element with slightly more rear travel and more modern geo... 66.5ish degree hta and steeper sta

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jason04 View Post
    Bingo!

I'll bet we get a bike in between the Element and Instinct or a true "BC Edition" Element with slightly more rear travel and more modern geo... 66.5ish degree hta and steeper sta
    Totally agree! started a post about that a few weeks ago on here about this possibility and I reckon an Element BC Edition (110/130 f/r) would be just what I am after. Will see what happens I guess but looks at least a bit promising now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Make your own element BC edition. Factory warranties are overrated anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Anyone know when these are to be shipped and available at LBS? Particularly in Canada?
    Crankys in Edmonton has a 2020 C70 they posted on Facebook..

mtbr member
    Is the 2020 Instinct too slack for XC tight, twisty, technical riding?

The 36mm stanchions and 42mm offset have me thinking the bike is primarily intended for enduro.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Is the 2020 Instinct too slack for XC tight, twisty, technical riding?

The 36mm stanchions and 42mm offset have me thinking the bike is primarily intended for enduro.
    The BC edition bikes are definitely enduro. The regular Instinct is a 140/140 trail bike regardless of the model of fork. They probably got a bulk deal on Fox 36 forks and thought "F-it. One less SKU."

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Honestly, I think the 36 is brilliant. Stiffer stanchion and more bushing overlap. It doesn't change the geometry of the bike but it WILL Result in a more confident ride for many riders.

Plus you now have the option of over-forking far more easily which is pretty cool. You can spend like 50 bucks swapping air springs to 150 or 160 instead of buying an entirely different fork. Sure, you could go 150 on the 34 but you're looking at pretty minimal bushing overlap at that point. Personally, my favourite instinct set up so far is regular edition out back, BC edition out front. I think the 140mm version uses it's rear travel far more to my preference but I certainly like the longer travel 36 out front. I've ridden my C50 in stock, 160/140, and 160/155 configurations so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    First: No real frame changes for 2020, right?
    Second: If you were going to build one of these up, regular edition + 36 ( or lyrik ) at 160. Would you go short offset or regular?

BB seems like it is very low, but with bigger fork, should raise it a bit, so maybe can run flip chip in middle/neutral setting while retaining 66ish head angle, yes?

Ideas welcome. trying to build one-bike-quiver-light weight trail bike that can still hold its own in steep and technical terrain on the downs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'll be building one similar to this, I prefer the way the bike moves through its' travel in 140mm over 155mm. I've ridden both in "BC Mode" and regular, and there certainly is a noticeable drop in BB height going to the stock 140mm front and rear.

Personally I'll probably run a 150 or 160mm fork and use an angleset to slacken further without negatively impacting the STA or BB height as much as using ride-9 to go slacker. Should end up a little bit slacker than the actual BC edition!

I'm pretty far from completing this project as I'm almost finished frame prep but feeling very uninspired to get the decals done, let alone start spraying.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    First: No real frame changes for 2020, right?
    Second: If you were going to build one of these up, regular edition + 36 ( or lyrik ) at 160. Would you go short offset or regular?

BB seems like it is very low, but with bigger fork, should raise it a bit, so maybe can run flip chip in middle/neutral setting while retaining 66ish head angle, yes?

Ideas welcome. trying to build one-bike-quiver-light weight trail bike that can still hold its own in steep and technical terrain on the downs.
    The 2020 frame is the same as 2018/19. The big changes are the reduced-offset fork, and Shimano drivetrains.

BB height in the lowest Ride-9 setting might be on the low side for chunky trail, but it's not a Stumpy Evo or anything. Having been on a reduced-offset fork back-to-back with a 51 offset, the reduced offset can make a slack bike feel more "playful". That's the best way I can think of to describe it.

If I was going to get one, I'd go with the regular Instinct and extend the 36 to 160mm travel [hooray for cheap air shafts]. The BB comes up a hair, the HA goes to ~65 in full-slack mode, and the reduced offset lets it keep some nimbleness.

I'm going to take the same approach to my wife's bike - extend the fork by 20mm and leave the suspension in "low" mode. It's an easy, fully-reversible $60 change.

Jii
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I love the way my -19 Instinct (140) rides with a 150 mm 51 mm offset Lyrik, regular headset. Personally wouldn't want anything bigger up front.

I've been using the flip chip in position 5 and 3. Position 3 for enduro racing and 5 for general trail riding. Can't say that there's a significant change in pedal strikes between the two positions.

Did The EWS100 In Les Orres in july, and was really happy with how the bike performed.
    RM Instinct C70 2019
    Canyon Grail AL 7.0 SL
    Octane One DJ
    Pelago Hanko

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanks for all the thoughts on forks/builds. now just have to find a 2019 frame on sale

mtbr member
    Does anyone have the 2020 Instinct (not BC) in the black/green colour? Would love to see some pics of it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Unfortunately pictures won't do it justice really... it does look quite different than the website.

mtbr member
    Do you have one that you could try to take pics of? Does the green stand out more or less than on the website?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Can anyone tell me if the 2020 c70 hubs are 6 bolt or centerlock? Thanks!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the 2020 c70 hubs are 6 bolt or centerlock? Thanks!

6 Bolt
    Director of Product
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Gracias. Pulling the trigger on one.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I didn't realize I managed to get this photo so blurry on my little phone screen. Now that it's on the big screen it's clearly crap and blurry. Oh well, it should give you an idea of the colour at least.

It's quite a bit more green than on the website. Oddly enough, in the catalogue I strongly preferred this one over the red/grey one but IRL I actually like the red/grey version more which I did not expect at all.

2020 Instinct-instinctgreen.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for that!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	instinctgreen.jpg 
Views:	951 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	1289807
    What size is it ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I think that's an S or an M. It's the store's not mine.

mtbr member
    It looks like the carbon green/black is a bit different than the aluminum green/black?

The carbon has a black headtube as well as underside of the downtube. Not sure the aluminum version has that color feature.

mtbr member
    The 2020's carbon green, carbon white, black, orange, and carbon teal and black are all sharp in person. I always thought RM's website leaves much to be desired, especially accurately showing their color's along with different bike angles. Still glad i got the 2019 Inst BC in brown though. Its like dirt with stripper glitter mixed in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    When did the Carbon 99 hit the website? Just noticed it now:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Instinct-web_my20_instinct_c99_bc_profile.jpg  

2017 RMB Element 950 MSL
    1997 RMB Equipe

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    When did the Carbon 99 hit the website? Just noticed it now:
    Never mind... looks like I missed all the press releases from midday: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rocky-...carbon-99.html
    2017 RMB Element 950 MSL
    1997 RMB Equipe

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Digging in the specs of the Instinct, my budget could allow me to buy a C70 or a C50 and upgrade the wheels. I did some comparisons and if I understand well the transmission and the small parts differences, I cannot understand the differences in the suspensions. I need some help. Some details could be different, as this are the specs for Switzerland (but should be almost the same worldwide I think).

The shocks :
    C50 : Fox DPS EVOL performance
    C70 : Fox DPS EVOL performance elite
    What's the difference ?

The forks
    C50 : Fox 36 Float EVOL GRIP Performance
    C70 : Fox 36 Float EVOL FIT4 Performance Series
    - OK, not the same damper cartridge, not a GRIP2 but a simpler GRIP vs. a FIT4. Is the FIT4 really better ?

For the wheels, the only difference is the rim. The Race Face ARC30 rims are a bit lighter than the WTB of the C50. Not a deal breaker as I would buy a nice, tough and light wheel set with the price difference between C50 and C70.

Maybe someone can help me regarding this suspensions ?

Jii
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think the fork is a Performance Elite and not a Performance on the C70 (so basically a Factory without the Kashima Coating) - worth it IMHO. Can't comment on fit4 vs GRIP. Don't like the DPS so would possibly allocate upgrade money towards a DPX2 (have one on my '19 C70 and it is soooo much better than the stock DPS). Guess the wheels are pretty equal.

Guess you know that the C50 has aluminum stays vs carbon on the C70?

To be honest, between the two (with 2020 specs) I would probably go for the C50 and upgrade the shock with the difference.
    RM Instinct C70 2019
    Canyon Grail AL 7.0 SL
    Octane One DJ
    Pelago Hanko

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'd also agree with a c50 and upgraded shock, as well as pads and rotors right away.

I think the stock wheels are fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the reply guys. Went for a short ride with a friend this Sunday morning. Was like BC in the Swiss Jura (low mountains).

And thanks also for the advices. Think to go with C50 and do some upgrades. Shock is one, better fork cartridge is another (but will ride the fork a little to build my own idea). The last one is wheels. But yeah, seems to be exactly the kind of bien Iím looking for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've been consistently impressed by the non-upgraded GRIP damper that I've owned a few bikes with it stock and have yet to upgrade one. Sure, if I'm going aftermarket I'll get the higher end model but I've had a few GRIP forks and they are really nice. Hard to spend the money upgrading nice.

As with all Fox forks, they do need a healthy dose of slick honey or SRAM butter on the seals/dust wipers and the o-rings need a full bath to get soaked before the first ride though.

I can't stress enough how much of an upgrade moving to SLX rotors and a higher end pad is on the brake system the c50 comes with though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    For the brakes I cannot understand why RM went with lower level discs. The pads are without ďradiatorsĒ right? Iím running now XT 2 pistons rear and XT lever with zee 4pistons front (XT from M8000 version) having the moving bite point on the rear brake. Pretty sure the SLX would be enough.

Having now a Manitou Mattoc fork, and really happy after four years with it, Iím a SRAM butter convinced. This thing can withdraw all suspension sensitivity problem if you use enough from it.

Also nice to hear good reviews about the GRIP damper. Sometimes less is more. Easier, no mess with lots of tuning possibilities. Just set and ride, Iím fan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey guys, Just picked up a 2020 RM instinct BC edition A70

I'm wondering where everyone is at on suspension settings.

I've only got a couple of short rides on it but I haven't had a bike with Fox suspension in a while. I'm running everything (shock and fork) super open and wondering if that's normal for fox stuff on this bike. I feel like I've got the fork pretty dialed but the shock feels odd.

The rear end of this bike feels ultra plush - almost too plush if I'm honest

I'm coming from a gen 3 SC nomad, so very similar travel but 27.5. I've got that bike dialed and it's a ripper for sure. This bike has a much better climbing position for me. It feels to be better in the ultra-chunky stuff but it seems to want to plow into stuff versus pop over stuff.

I demo'd every bike rocky sold in 2019 and found the instinct non-bc (rode both) to be the one I prefered but I wasn't 100% sure on things because it was a demo and I hadn't messed with the shock/fork. I also use 100% of my travel on my old bike so I wanted to keep the same amount.

as for the folks questioning the brakes/ 12 speed XT. They're both awesome.

I've ridden GX since it came out. I couldn't tell a tangible difference between GX-X01 eagle. Shimano 12 speed feels much better in every way. It shifts under load better than any groupset i've used (7 speed to current stuff). The brakes are a perfect mix between Guides and normal XTs. They have the power and modulation I like. (previous brake of choice was guide RSC/ultimate) I haven't used them on ultra steep stuff yet and probably won't get to until next year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Obligatory picture
    2020 Instinct-rmbca70.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Suspension settings -

Fox 36 - never ever lock out, very close to stock settings, but with a token added and dropped a few PSI.

The back was harder to dial in, but I was also using an X2. I would rarely feel the need to use the climb switch at all, even when I was running it with too much sag.

I'm running both compression settings roughly halfway and about 20% over body weight for psi

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i ended up dropping some air spring pressure on the shock and making some adjustments to the shock settings. I'm roughly in the middle and the parking lot test feels like the shock rebounds too slow, compresses too slow and my sag is normal at 30% or so. Rides so much better. I got a few rides on it before I had to pull out my Blizzard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Received today !

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Weight, according to home balance with pedals without tubes, size M : 12kg

mtbr member
    Beauty!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    First ride! Snappy, responsive, light, forgiving. Just need to add some air in the shock, bottomed it a few times without big air time....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I realise this has been asked before regarding the green/dark grey color way but does anyone have 'real-world' photos of the red/cream white 2020 frame? About to pull the trigger on a frame but can't get to see the colours in real life before purchase. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

2020 Instinct C90

2020 Instinct-20191210_132245.jpg

not the best photo, but a killer bike. not 'done' yet. more upgrades to come and will look killer in its final version. stoked on the build so far though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Went for some water biking today. This bike is awesome. Just two throwbacks. First, the tires, minion dhr 2 front and rear are not so stable, at least, in the mud. Second, I think I can put as much air pressure in the rear shock, Iíll use all the travel.

Iím 70kg almost 150 lbs and put 190 Psi on the rear shock. Despite it Iím using all the travel on relatively small jumps. Any clues ?

Time is not a road.
    I'd put a DHF on the front, it seems to track better when steering. The DHR is good for "rough" terrain, but doesn't track well in softer terrain. Plus, it's a bit sluggish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Put an Assegai on the front, you'll never have to think about another front tire ever again.
    I've got the lighter EXO Maxxterra on the front of mine and it's a huge step up in traction from the DHF. I'm now thinking about moving that one to the rear and using a Maxxgrip version up front.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hi guys. I have a chance to get a 2019 rocky mountain instinct brand new at a smoking deal. However it is a size large i have only really rode size mediums. I am 5'9" with a 31 in seam? any suggestions on whether i should get it? its winter here so i cant really give it a good test ride. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Made some changes before todayís ride. Removed 2 from 4 tokens in the fork. Changed ride9 from neutral to position 3 and check the pressures.

Had a muddy ride... need one more, a drier one, to make some conclusion on the changes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I'm a shade smaller than you and I wouldn't consider a Large. In my case, I would consider a Small or Medium. (I have always leaned towards smaller bikes)

Having said that, Ricky Mountain's sizing chart shows 5'9" as being pretty much in the middle of Large. https://www.bikes.com/sites/default/...Chart_v1_4.pdf

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Has anybody weighted the wheels ? I'm already asking myself how to improve my '20 Instinct C70...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The wheels on the c90 were 1900 grams together

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The c70 ones will be slightly heavier than that too, but not by much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The c90 had a dt350 rr hub
    C70 might be a 370???

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Correct, which I can't imagine is a huge weight difference. The 90 runs ARC 30's and the 70 runs AR 30's which are like 15 grams heavier per rim. It's something I guess.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    So, it's home...the only thing I am waiting on is the XTR four pot brakes, and four titanium bolts.

It is pimp.
    Full XTR drivetrain, DT 240's on LB 33mm rims, X2...27.5 without brakes and pedals, so i think easily under 30 complete with real tires.

But I already have my eye on the '21 Altitude...

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    2020 Instinct-20200225_114521.jpg

Completed 2020 instinct c90
    Xtr pedals
    Garmin mount - k edge
    Ti cage
    Fox 34 factory
    Next sl crank
    Silverado w carbon rails
    We are one faction rims on i9 hydra hubs
    Total weight as pictured 27 lbs size large

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Nice build! How does the carbon Silverado feel compared to a lower end model Silverado? Really considering it for mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambam720 View Post
    Nice build! How does the carbon Silverado feel compared to a lower end model Silverado? Really considering it for mine.
    Not sure. I've never ridden the lower end model, but I would suspect that if the shape works for your bits then any of that model are good. The only real difference would be the weight and possibly some compliance as the shell may be a bit different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Gorgeous builds Aaron and Rideit. I think the colourway on that C90 regular Instinct is my favorite this year. Maybe the million dollar 99 one might top it, but I'm not sure. Seeing the little bit of raw carbon peek through in person on the forest/raw frame is a nice touch.

I think your tire choice might give away an XC background

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The tires I'm running are the stock tires from an older instinct. 2.4 ardent and 2.35 ikon. Faster rolling for the early season and pedalling. May swap up to the stock tires for bike park season. Certainly an xc guy at heart but this bike will make the bigger epic rides more fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Whatís about the damper air pressure you have in relation with you weight? Iím 70 kg/154 lbs full equipped and using all the travel on every single ride without big impacts.
    The bike is a stock 2020 C70.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No rides in the bike yet but I'm running about 180 in the rr shock and I'm 160 lbs. Sag is not where I want it and I think I'll be in the same spot as you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I think 15-20% over body weight in pounds is where I landed on this bike. The X2 wanted more than the standard shock if I recall though. If you want to maintain the same sag/small bump compliance, then add some tokens to your rear shock. They're cheap and its easy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Anyone here up the air shaft too 150? Just ordered a C50. Going to up the travel but then get the cane creek adjustable headset to slacken it out, and maybe get that seat tune a bit slacker at modern numbers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I'm 6' (182cm) and 164lbs.
    I'm not sure whether to go with a L or an XL. Anyone able to weigh in? The geometry chart puts me on the upper end of L or in lower end of the XL size range

Comparing the geometry to the 2020 Norco Optic
    Optic L:
    RC 435
    FC 800
    WB 1235
    Stack 629
    Reach 480
    HTA 65
    STA 76
    Instinct L:
    RC 436
    FC 770
    WB 1207
    Stack 621
    Reach 455
    Instinct XL:
    RC 436
    FC 801
    WB 1237
    Stack 630
    Reach 482

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Iím 186cm tall with 90cm legs and I am more than happy with my size L Instinct BC.

mtbr member
    My husband is 6í and had a Norco Torrent. He has ridden the Instinct a number of times and would get a large if he were to order one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Ok thank you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Awesome! Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just to throw a bit of confusion into this: I am 6ft and just sold my Large as it was too cramped/short.
    I should explain this further by saying i have a high ape index (long torso/longer arms) and found it all a bit tight. Still rode it for a while, tried a 60mm stem, etc., but in the end sold it and am going XL. They are a great bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono_SK View Post
    Awesome! Thank you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Hmmm appreciate an opinion from the other corner!
    That might be my situation too - also got those apishly long arms.

2-1 = this makes it trickier haha!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mLeier View Post
    My husband is 6í and had a Norco Torrent. He has ridden the Instinct a number of times and would get a large if he were to order one.
    The old torrent is an absurdly small fitting bike so no wonder he'd pick a large over an XL.

I would ask this: What do you want to do with the bike? What future mods will you run? What kind of terrain?

Anything you do that makes the bike more DH capable is going to shrink the reach. Longer fork? Reach shrunk. Slacker Ride-9? Smaller reach. Shorter stem? Same. The instinct already wasn't a terribly long bike to begin with compared to some of the stuff coming out in 2020. Going for an XL would give you room to play around in the future assuming you'll be comfortable on it now. There's a couple more things you can do to play around with rocky mountains but most people don't have the reach to make it work. You could even do a forward offset seat post to keep the STA steep while in the slacker modes (which obviously shrinks reach too). There's large bikes from today with reach numbers pretty damn close to the XL instinct (but with steeper STAs, they'll feel a bit shorter).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    This! Going XL definitely gives a 6-footer room to tweak things on the Instinct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Four months now with my Instinct C70. Not as much rides as I wanted, but with the weather we had I could not and now with the virus Iím just riding along. Not time to need an hospital visit....

I checked my Fox DPS shock, just in case as RM had throw some volume spacers in it (they putted 4 in the fork). There isnít any. And as Iím using to much travel I want to try with volume spacers. But omg they are expensive. Do anybody know what size is the best to try?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Expensive?? where are you buying them from? The official fox one should cost only a couple bucks each from your local store (although many don't stock them).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I checked it again. I can buy the complete set for ~ 30 bucks. You are wright, not so expensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi there! Iím back with my shock questions. Had a little time to ride it, and as it is very very dry, I could push it a bit harder. Didnít receive any volume spacers until now and therefore still tinkering with pressure.

I upped the pressure to 220 psi for my 67 kg. I will mesure the sag and come back.

I discussed this question with a Swiss mtb suspension specialist, at least he is selling a lot of suspension specific products (Vorsprung for example). He told me that RM is pretty known for having ideas and trying to use some special tunes in the shocks they specs for there bikes but unfortunately not making the good choices.

Can you, dear fellow Instinct riders, tell me the pressure you put in your shock and your weight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Samos View Post
    Hi there! Iím back with my shock questions. Had a little time to ride it, and as it is very very dry, I could push it a bit harder. Didnít receive any volume spacers until now and therefore still tinkering with pressure.

I upped the pressure to 220 psi for my 67 kg. I will mesure the sag and come back.

I discussed this question with a Swiss mtb suspension specialist, at least he is selling a lot of suspension specific products (Vorsprung for example). He told me that RM is pretty known for having ideas and trying to use some special tunes in the shocks they specs for there bikes but unfortunately not making the good choices.

Can you, dear fellow Instinct riders, tell me the pressure you put in your shock and your weight?
    When my C70 was stock I used around 225psi and I'm 78kg.
    Bike RM Instinct, Lives In Whangarei, New Zealand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    2018 Instinct BC Large with DPX2 Shock, stock 0.4 spacer, 81kg, 180 psi, ~35% sag as recommended by Rocky for the BC Edition.

Dreamy plush ride, but not using all the travel despite 1,50m drop jumps on my home trails here. The BC Edition Suspension curve is quite progressive.
    So for me nothing more to wish.

Step from Fox 36 Fit4 fork to 36 Grip2 made the front significantly better so itís now matching the rear end performance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono_SK View Post
    Hmmm appreciate an opinion from the other corner!
    That might be my situation too - also got those apishly long arms.

2-1 = this makes it trickier haha!
    One more vote for XL here. I'm a notch over 6' with long arms and I test rode a Large BC edition...easily too small. I knew as soon as I jumped on the bike. Just got my XL frame built up and it feels correct (pics coming soon). Now I can finally ride a bike with 40-50mm stem and have the seat in a neutral position.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RaymondC View Post
    When my C70 was stock I used around 225psi and I'm 78kg.
    Small ride yesterday www.strava.com/activities/3341374072. I have carefully set 220psi in the shock, cycling it 20 times through its travel all 50psi. And that made a huge difference. It was a mild ride and I didnít used all the travel. But..... it is way to harsh now and it makes me loose a lot of grip. So now thinking of decreasing the pressure (I will check my sag this time) and adding a volume spacer (there is one stock, the smallest 0.2 in3), maybe 0.4 or 0.6in3. This is quickly done and donít cost that much.
    Does anybody already put a bigger volume spacers than the stock one?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Message supprimť, dťsolť

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    ce message est supprimť

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jii View Post
    I love the way my -19 Instinct (140) rides with a 150 mm 51 mm offset Lyrik, regular headset. Personally wouldn't want anything bigger up front.

I've been using the flip chip in position 5 and 3. Position 3 for enduro racing and 5 for general trail riding. Can't say that there's a significant change in pedal strikes between the two positions.

Did The EWS100 In Les Orres in july, and was really happy with how the bike performed.
    hello
    According to your Ride-9 settings description, you have a '19 Regular Instinct (not BC).

On the picture, I see that you have a DPX2 shock absorber. Can you tell me its dimensions 210x55 or 8.5x2.5" and especially the setting. I have the same INSTINCT model in size M.
    I would like to install a DPX2 instead of the DPS (my weight is about 67 kilos/150lbs

What pressure do you put in your shock absorber?

Thank you for your next answer and have a good weekend.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    His frame is running 210x55, which places at him at 140mm travel, not the BC edition.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well, I had time yesterday for a small humid ride. Two or three crashes later, I can say that 210 psi for my almost 70kg, respecting the stages at 50 psi when inflating, gave me a really good rear suspension. I rode almost all the time in open mode. Maybe a little to much trail chatter (tire or shock settings). I think a slightly bigger volume spacers and 5 psi less could make the deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just before the bridge. Choose your path...

Jii
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    C70 DPS 215 psi and DPX2 223 PSI 96 kg in riding gear. Can't remember what spacer I had in the DPS but in the DPX2 I have the biggest one (0,6 in3)
    RM Instinct C70 2019
    Canyon Grail AL 7.0 SL
    Octane One DJ
    Pelago Hanko

Jii
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smirnoff1964 View Post
    hello
    According to your Ride-9 settings description, you have a '19 Regular Instinct (not BC).

On the picture, I see that you have a DPX2 shock absorber. Can you tell me its dimensions 210x55 or 8.5x2.5" and especially the setting. I have the same INSTINCT model in size M.
    I would like to install a DPX2 instead of the DPS (my weight is about 67 kilos/150lbs

What pressure do you put in your shock absorber?

Thank you for your next answer and have a good weekend.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
    Hi, the DPX2 is 210x55 so same dimensions as the original DPS. I weigh 96 kg in riding gear and have 223 PSI in the shock and the biggest spacer installed.
    RM Instinct C70 2019
    Canyon Grail AL 7.0 SL
    Octane One DJ
    Pelago Hanko

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jii View Post
    Hi, the DPX2 is 210x55 so same dimensions as the original DPS. I weigh 96 kg in riding gear and have 223 PSI in the shock and the biggest spacer installed.
    Thank you for your answer. Just one more question. Can you communicate to me the 4-digit code from FOX as you can see on https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.p...ike&ref=topnav in the HELP section. Very thanks

Jii
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hi, I could but it would be of no use because it was a take off from another bike and has been tuned to match the Instinct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So folks, I installed a bigger volume spacers, the green one, 0.4 in3 and I checked my fork lowers (36 fit4........). First the lowers were not lubricated with the 40/10cc of 20wt, really not. Maybe 5cc on each side. And the foams were just drier than dry.... Iíll see next time I ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by squads View Post
    One more vote for XL here. I'm a notch over 6' with long arms and I test rode a Large BC edition...easily too small. I knew as soon as I jumped on the bike. Just got my XL frame built up and it feels correct (pics coming soon). Now I can finally ride a bike with 40-50mm stem and have the seat in a neutral position.
    Jono did you ever end up going Lg or Xl? I'm a hair under 6ft (205 lbs) and am torn between the two for the BC Edition. I ride in the rockies mostly, so a bunch of tight switchbacks. But when I test rode the Lg the reach definitely feels short compared to modern-geo. This would be for a do-it-all trail bike so maybe I need to be conservative and stick with the Lg.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Personally I'd get an XL and a forward offset 9.8 seatpost if I was in between sizes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Not sure the best place for this, but: https://www.bikes.com/safety-recall

Voluntary safety recall of certain 2018 Ė 2020 alloy Instinct, Instinct BC and Pipeline alloy front triangles

Poster:
    https://www.bikes.com/sites/default/...lPoster_v3.pdf
    Last edited by Mikbur; 06-18-2020 at 05:18 PM. Reason: add Alloy and link to PDF

nbaczek
    May 2018
    Mine is actually arriving today, can't wait. I will take some pictures of it. I heard it real sweet color combo. Matte black on lower half and dark gloss green with gold flake in it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is that for the Instinct or Instinct BC? I was under the impression that the colors and graphics were staying the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I think they are doing way fewer colours to save time/money and made to match more of the old ones.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Had an epic ride in the Alps, in Arosa, region GraubŁnden yesterday. The Instinct is a real killer in such environment. Singletrails full of rocks, very steep terrain or long and flowy partially shaped trails.