2019 Pipeline Rear Axle Stuck- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

2019 Pipeline Rear Axle Stuck

Hi, I'm trying to remove the rear wheel on a 2019 Pipeline A50 and I'm not familiar with the rear axle. Firstly I didn't realize that I had to engage both sides of the axle and that the drive side was reverse threaded. So anyway I think I inadvertently tightened it and now it seems to be stuck. But I'm talking about maybe turning it a 1/16th of a turn. I didn't feel or hear anything give but it feels really tight and I am afraid to give it a good push. Any recommendations? I have been adjusting (trying to) from the drive side, should I try turning the non-drive side counter-clockwise? Thanks in advance.

Adam

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I can't remember off the top of my head how I've done this but we have encountered it before. I believe there are specific instructions in the 2018 instinct thread, probably closer to the end rather than the beginning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks for the tip. I looked through the thread and tried what was suggested but no luck.

To clarify the drive side lock nut is extremely tight and doesn't want to turn in either direction but the non-drive side does turn.

Could someone please explain how this rear axle works and provide instructions on how to properly remove it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    https://www.chrissports.ch/content/f...20Handbuch.PDF

Pg 25 and onward should have an explanation of how it works. The problem that happens is people accidentally over tighten the drive-side nut because it looks like something that they need to take off to pull the axle out. All it does is hold the axle on, you shouldn't have to turn it at all to get the axle out (except for the trick where you use an allen key on both sides which I think is outlined in the Instinct thread).

If the axle is turning freely but you can't get it out, then it might be broken inside the frame or your frame could be out of alignment. It might be a bigger issue than the standard "axle is seized" problem on these frames.

And I'm out.
    @ j-t-g : thanks for the link! Been looking for that!!
    And back to retail shop I go. More mountains, more riding!!