Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 972
  1. #1
    tvt
    tvt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    11

    2018 Rocky Instinct?

    Does anyone know if there is gonna be a new design for the Instinct coming up? I wanted to get the 2017 970msl because of the great build t has, but I personally don't like the color scheme of that or the BC edition. And might as well wait for the new ones, specially if there is a new design coming up, based on how it is the oldest frame they have at the moment?

  2. #2
    chips & bier
    Reputation: eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,585
    A number of people have had the "be patient" reponse to the question if there's something bigger & badder coming around for next year, so the answer is very likely a yes. I'd think basically a 29" version of an Altitude.

    (I'll wait for it, too. Spoke to the dealer yesterday and apparently the carbon size L Altitudes on my side of the pond are already spoken for...pre-orders only apparently. Gotta love those distributors).

  3. #3
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,471
    It makes sense, it took about 3 years to transition everything to the ABC bushings, so it will likely take about 3 years to transition everything to the new bearing designs.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    206
    Be patient

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    206
    I loved my instinct! So fast. Would love another badass one to sit beside my slayer

  6. #6
    BJF
    BJF is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    452
    If they are updating it, I hope the travel increases.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    109
    I don't mind the 140 front/130 rear but would also be cool to see a 'LT' version with 160 front/140 rear. Would also be even cooler if RM surprised us with a June/July announcement of a new Instinct, rather than having to wait another 9 months or so. The new Altitudes look awesome (and ideally suited to my local trails on Sydney's Northern Beaches) but i reckon an Instinct would be enough bike for this 'old guy'.

  8. #8
    tvt
    tvt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Juz1970 View Post
    I don't mind the 140 front/130 rear but would also be cool to see a 'LT' version with 160 front/140 rear. Would also be even cooler if RM surprised us with a June/July announcement of a new Instinct, rather than having to wait another 9 months or so. The new Altitudes look awesome (and ideally suited to my local trails on Sydney's Northern Beaches) but i reckon an Instinct would be enough bike for this 'old guy'.
    Would they not release it for the August/September annual bike announcement with all the rest? Kind of like how the Element was last year?

  9. #9
    tvt
    tvt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    11
    Would it be a Fall release or have to wait till a mid year release next year round?

  10. #10
    BJF
    BJF is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    452
    140/130 was good but most of the competition now is 150/140. If the travel is the same, I'm not sure I would get another one. I love my instinct but there is a lot of good competition now with a bit more travel.

  11. #11
    chips & bier
    Reputation: eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by tvt View Post
    Would it be a Fall release or have to wait till a mid year release next year round?
    My "be patient" was limited to "until Eurobike".

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    109
    Yep, i agree there are some very sweet 150/140 29ers around now. Anyway, will just have to wait and see i guess; either way i reckon it will be top of my shopping list!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4
    Rumor has it the 2018 Instinct will be compatible with both 29 and 27.5+ wheels.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,288
    I'm waiting for this thing to be released myself before I pull the trigger on an altitude to go with my slayer

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    206
    155mm travel is the word on the street?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,288
    Hmmm sounds awesome

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3 View Post
    155mm travel is the word on the street?
    What else do you know haha

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    What else do you know haha
    That's all I have heard lol.. Should also he the usual longer lower slacker thing as with all new bikes these days...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3 View Post
    That's all I have heard lol.. Should also he the usual longer lower slacker thing as with all new bikes these days...
    Sounds like a range 29

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: islander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by tvt View Post
    Would they not release it for the August/September annual bike announcement with all the rest? Kind of like how the Element was last year?
    Well, they didn't use this approach on the Slayer or the Altitude so don't go by the eurobike date.

    If the Instinct revision is ready to be announced by this August, it would mean their Rocky eurobike booth would have 3 new bikes to show that weren't in the previous eurobike (Slayer/Alti/Instinct). For a company with small design dept, that'd be impressive.

    Also, be careful what you ask for - the new Altitude770 saw srp go up $500CAD, gained a pound, and its lost Kashima coatings found on the 2016 model. I'm not having any issues with ABC or the 34 stiffness, and I've yet to hear anyone say they're faster as a result of boost spacing or metric shocks. YMMV.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    206
    I will say that going from my '16 altitude bushings to the slayer with bearings the difference in feel is very noticeable. Break away force is all but gone now.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    264
    Rumor is 155mm travel?? That would be more than the Altitude - how would that make any sense?

  23. #23
    BJF
    BJF is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    452
    29 inch wheels make a huge difference in ride so having the same travel as the Altitude seems fine to me.

  24. #24
    chips & bier
    Reputation: eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy87 View Post
    Rumor is 155mm travel?? That would be more than the Altitude - how would that make any sense?
    Why not? There's clearly a market for long-travel 'EWS level' 29ers. There's also clearly quite a number of riders that would prefer to stick to 27.5, so it makes sense from a business perspective. I think RMB has a lot of bases covered with the risk of some overlap, but most of their bikes also have quite a unique character. I can't ever complain about having more choice.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy87 View Post
    Rumor is 155mm travel?? That would be more than the Altitude - how would that make any sense?
    Because it's not an altitude

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,288
    Interest peaked

  27. #27
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,471
    With the sudden proliferation of 29" DH wheels in the World Cup series, it will be interesting to see how Enduro they get with the Instinct. Obviously they aren't just for trail bikes anymore.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    With the sudden proliferation of 29" DH wheels in the World Cup series, it will be interesting to see how Enduro they get with the Instinct. Obviously they aren't just for trail bikes anymore.
    I bet it will be similar to the range

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    264
    The range is very burly, almost like the slayer. Cant imagine the instinct going the same route

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy87 View Post
    The range is very burly, almost like the slayer. Cant imagine the instinct going the same route
    If it has 155 travel it will be

  31. #31
    tvt
    tvt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    11
    Update,
    A bunch of dealers just got the 2018 dealer book in, and man Rocky is stepping up their game. Complete redesign for BOTH the instinct and the thunderbolt. Following the same design as the altitude. Those 2 bikes most likely won't be released until beginning of 2018, similar to the Slayer and Altitude with the instinct going out first.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    109
    sounds good!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,288
    mmm can't wait to see what they have in the works

  34. #34
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,471
    That's pretty cool, are these local shops that are going to have some early inventory? Photos or it never happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by tvt View Post
    Update,
    A bunch of dealers just got the 2018 dealer book in, and man Rocky is stepping up their game. Complete redesign for BOTH the instinct and the thunderbolt. Following the same design as the altitude. Those 2 bikes most likely won't be released until beginning of 2018, similar to the Slayer and Altitude with the instinct going out first.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    264
    Where did that "2018 Bikes" thread go?!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy87 View Post
    Where did that "2018 Bikes" thread go?!
    Good question! Went to check it out after the notification on my phone and it had disappeared!?

  37. #37
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy87 View Post
    Where did that "2018 Bikes" thread go?!
    It was deleted because confidential information was posted.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    412
    Now my suspicions are confirmed. there are internet police.
    Seriously, these particular threads are full of speculation, and that is one of the reasons we read them. In the automotive world when we get a spy shot or inside information it is a bonus. So why here do you delete it. If it was so top secret then Rocky should have guarded it better.
    A bike post isn't national security, racist, or offensive to anyone.

  39. #39
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,426
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    Now my suspicions are confirmed. there are internet police.
    Seriously, these particular threads are full of speculation, and that is one of the reasons we read them. In the automotive world when we get a spy shot or inside information it is a bonus. So why here do you delete it. If it was so top secret then Rocky should have guarded it better.
    A bike post isn't national security, racist, or offensive to anyone.
    I'm not a mod for this forum but can see what has been done. Merely relaying info on where the thread went.

  40. #40
    President of the Internet
    Reputation: Widgeontrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    Now my suspicions are confirmed. there are internet police.
    Seriously, these particular threads are full of speculation, and that is one of the reasons we read them. In the automotive world when we get a spy shot or inside information it is a bonus. So why here do you delete it. If it was so top secret then Rocky should have guarded it better.
    A bike post isn't national security, racist, or offensive to anyone.
    I think a pic taken at a race is different than releasing marketing pictures of the product line that isn't supposed to be out yet. It's RM's intellectual property.There were no pics of the Instinct either.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

    Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    412
    If marketing pictures are so private for Rocky then really they shouldn't release them to just anyone. I was just in to my LBS and they don't have the new catalogue yet, or they are smart enough to not show anybody.
    My boss was just at a industry show where they showed the dealers product that is coming out in the Fall. No pictures were allowed and they had provisions to stop it. If you did sneak a shot and posted it you would lose your dealership. I guess the problem in the bike industry is that no one is afraid to lose a brand because there are so many to replace it.
    Why would MTBR delete a thread? I can only guess it is because they sell adds to Rocky?

  42. #42
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,471
    I don't think Rocky advertises on MTBR, I think that's one of the reasons Rocky bikes are never covered in the Interbike featured booth section.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    133
    Curious to the comments from the Slayer owner about wanting a Altitude to complement it. What about the Slayer makes you want to ride the Altitude instead?

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    173
    According to my bike shop, the launch of the new models will be done next week

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    173
    I was at Mont Ste-Anne this weekend for the World Cup and I talked to the Rocky Mountain representative. Here is the additional information I have:

    It will have the same design and improvement as the Altitude with a 140mm\ 140mm
    2 colors: Blue (Altitude) and black with red writing, Orange and Khaki with black writing

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    264
    Plus rumors say there will be a BC Edition with 150/160

  47. #47
    BJF
    BJF is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    452
    Doubt their will be one with different rear travel

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    15
    some people are right about aspects just wait as releases are due soon!

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    713
    of course there will be a BC edition. natch. the guys at the LBS are very excited about this bike and are under embargo from saying anything about it, but they are stoked.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by frampo View Post
    some people are right about aspects just wait as releases are due soon!
    Do you know/can you state when the embargo lifts?

    My lbs gave me lots of info on the new instinct. Even quoted a delivery date for at least one of the first trim levels to be released. I assumed that the embargo lifted on the same date as the delivery date, but that doesn't seem to be the case


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    463
    BC Ed 160ish mm travel w/ no Ride9. only 1 geo setting is what we heard

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825 View Post
    BC Ed 160ish mm travel w/ no Ride9. only 1 geo setting is what we heard

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    How it should be!

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825 View Post
    BC Ed 160ish mm travel w/ no Ride9. only 1 geo setting is what we heard

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    I heard [almost] the exact same thing. 155mm is what I was told.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    264
    Sounds like an enduro race weapon! Wonder why we havent seen it on the EWS....?

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    Do you know/can you state when the embargo lifts?

    My lbs gave me lots of info on the new instinct. Even quoted a delivery date for at least one of the first trim levels to be released. I assumed that the embargo lifted on the same date as the delivery date, but that doesn't seem to be the case


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i have only been told august, remember the slayer was release around the 15th last year!

  56. #56
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,471
    Crankworx Whistler is the new Interbike for product introductions, and it's coming up soon.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charger32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42
    Crankworx kicks off Friday, and RMB usual have a display so would certainly ad up with new bike release. I note there was talk above of the new Thunderbolt model as well, but for those speaking to dealers in the know I assume that release is still a while off yet?

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy87 View Post
    Sounds like an enduro race weapon! Wonder why we havent seen it on the EWS....?
    fair question. moreover, why is the Slayer not seen on the EWS...

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    fair question. moreover, why is the Slayer not seen on the EWS...
    It is

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charger32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    fair question. moreover, why is the Slayer not seen on the EWS...
    Florian Nicolai was on a Slayer for the first half of the EWS season, and wouldnt be surprised to see it back out at Whistler EWS this week (unless its the unveiling of new Instinct instead).

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by charger32 View Post
    Florian Nicolai was on a Slayer for the first half of the EWS season, and wouldnt be surprised to see it back out at Whistler EWS this week (unless its the unveiling of new Instinct instead).

    I have seen seen pics of Flo out there with a coil equipped slayer, so looks like he might be using it for Whistler.

    also take a look at the vid Gully just put up

    https://www.facebook.com/Geoffgulevi...8344056206430/

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by frampo View Post
    I have seen seen pics of Flo out there with a coil equipped slayer, so looks like he might be using it for Whistler.

    also take a look at the vid Gully just put up

    https://www.facebook.com/Geoffgulevi...8344056206430/
    Had a quick testride on both 2018 140/140 Instinct and 160/155 Instinct BC a few days ago.
    Not allowed to Take photos.
    Great pedaling for longish travel, surprisingly good.
    Longer reach, shorter CS, one geo setting for BC at 66 HA.

    Frame is identical, BC has it's own travel link.
    Pipeline is said to have exact same fra as well.
    Pipeline and regular Instinct use a lower headset bearing cup to give slack angle with shorter travel. 66 in slack mode.

    140/140 is on my list, as everything 2017 Instinct was lacking has been added to 2018.

    The "hidden" fsr link from Slayer is slick, gives good heel clearance.

    I am very positive about these bikes.
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Rocky Mountain Instinct C90 BC 2019

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsinore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
    Had a quick testride on both 2018 140/140 Instinct and 160/155 Instinct BC a few days ago.
    Not allowed to Take photos.
    Great pedaling for longish travel, surprisingly good.
    Longer reach, shorter CS, one geo setting for BC at 66 HA.

    Frame is identical, BC has it's own travel link.
    Pipeline is said to have exact same fra as well.
    Pipeline and regular Instinct use a lower headset bearing cup to give slack angle with shorter travel. 66 in slack mode.

    140/140 is on my list, as everything 2017 Instinct was lacking has been added to 2018.

    The "hidden" fsr link from Slayer is slick, gives good heel clearance.

    I am very positive about these bikes.
    Wow, that sounds like one hell of a versatile frame. If you could get your hands on an extra link you could switch back and forth from 140-155 travel.

    Really looking forward to this release. The Instinct BC may replace my 17' Enduro 29 if it pedals well.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    264
    Too bad they didnt go slacker on the BC Edition. Would have welcomed a 65 - 65.5 HA. Maybe throwing a 170mm fork on it to make it really burly?

    155/170 with 65.5 HA doesnt sound too bad I think.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Wow, that sounds like one hell of a versatile frame. If you could get your hands on an extra link you could switch back and forth from 140-155 travel.

    Really looking forward to this release. The Instinct BC may replace my 17' Enduro 29 if it pedals well.
    The BC edition may also have a longer stroke shock in addition to the bespoke linkage. Would still be cool to be able to run it in either configuration, but it might not be as low-cost as it seems


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    109
    Am hoping they go down the Altitude route and have both carbon and alloy models too. I am not an anti-carbon guy at all - an alloy model(s) means I may just be able to afford one as it sounds like the bike fits my needs exactly for the odd marathon and stage race, plus the techy trails around home. Counting down the days now!

  67. #67
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,338
    From what I have heard about the frame, I am considering selling both of my bikes to get it.

    It all depends on colourway and price. I haven't been able to ride nearly enough this year (a whopping 9 times on the trail), and I feel really down about that. I want to get out and ride but the weather has been crappy when I am not working or taking day trips with family.

  68. #68
    President of the Internet
    Reputation: Widgeontrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    790
    I'd like to see more Eagle drivetrains.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

    Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

  69. #69
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    I'd like to see more Eagle drivetrains.
    I'm pretty positive there will be some on the higher end alloy and carbon models.

  70. #70
    Danger Zone
    Reputation: GoldFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    246
    It's a bummer that Rocky generally has high prices for the specs you get. I got a good deal on a used Instinct a while ago, but buying used has now bit me in the butt with a crack in the frame. If the prices are consistent with what they have been in years past I'm moving closer to a Jeffsy as my next ride.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Juz1970 View Post
    Am hoping they go down the Altitude route and have both carbon and alloy models too. I am not an anti-carbon guy at all - an alloy model(s) means I may just be able to afford one as it sounds like the bike fits my needs exactly for the odd marathon and stage race, plus the techy trails around home. Counting down the days now!
    As far as I know they do not offer the BC in alu, mind you, this is in europe so it may be different in other countries.
    Regular Instinct does come in alu, quite a bit cheaper as you would expect.
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Rocky Mountain Instinct C90 BC 2019

  72. #72
    President of the Internet
    Reputation: Widgeontrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I'm pretty positive there will be some on the higher end alloy and carbon models.
    Right. The 990 has it currently. A GX model would be nice.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

    Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

  73. #73
    ejj
    ejj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    447
    I'm sure the next Instinct will be branded like the Altitude. A and C models with different kits. i.e. the A70 will likely be the nicest aluminum bike with GX Eagle, the C70 will likely be the same kit with carbon frame, for about $900 more. I'm sure all of their new bikes will have this system. My guess is $5k for the C70.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    I'm sure the next Instinct will be branded like the Altitude. A and C models with different kits. i.e. the A70 will likely be the nicest aluminum bike with GX Eagle, the C70 will likely be the same kit with carbon frame, for about $900 more. I'm sure all of their new bikes will have this system. My guess is $5k for the C70.
    Yeah, i hope so. I am keen on the 140/140 aluminium models - mainly due to how expensive these things are here in Australia. Way over priced, really, but then so are pretty much all the more boutique brands (RM, SC, Yeti, etc.)
    Hopefully the announcement is soon!
    Cheers,
    JW

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Juz1970 View Post
    Yeah, i hope so. I am keen on the 140/140 aluminium models - mainly due to how expensive these things are here in Australia. Way over priced, really, but then so are pretty much all the more boutique brands (RM, SC, Yeti, etc.)
    Hopefully the announcement is soon!
    Cheers,
    JW
    There are similar equiped alu versions of the regular Instinct, but I have not seen them for BC version(160/155)

    Called Instinct Carbon 30/50/70 and Instinct 30/50/70, similar/same as Altitude.
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Rocky Mountain Instinct C90 BC 2019

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    264
    BC Edition is equipped with Code R and GX Eagle if I remember correctly. Saw a pic and the catalouge and specs this morning. Retails for CHF 7000.-

  77. #77
    BJF
    BJF is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    452
    It's Friday! Where's the announcement!

  78. #78
    ejj
    ejj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    447
    Ha. Who said the announcement would come on Friday? I do know the Instinct is being released in the next week or so. They have some Carbon 70 spec bikes that are being shipped to dealers for immediate sale/demos. Carbon 70 will likely be a top seller for Rocky this year. $5000 for Fox 34 Elite fork and Float Elite shock, GX Eagle build, Fox dropper, DT 370 hubs with Arch MK3 rims, Forkaster rear tire. Two color options--both pretty sharp. One features Orange, the other features Billy Ocean Blue. Cant remember the rest.

    Pretty good competition for the Hightower style bikes out there.

  79. #79
    BJF
    BJF is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    452
    Some reason I thought it would be released Friday at crankworks

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    Ha. Who said the announcement would come on Friday? I do know the Instinct is being released in the next week or so. They have some Carbon 70 spec bikes that are being shipped to dealers for immediate sale/demos. Carbon 70 will likely be a top seller for Rocky this year. $5000 for Fox 34 Elite fork and Float Elite shock, GX Eagle build, Fox dropper, DT 370 hubs with Arch MK3 rims, Forkaster rear tire. Two color options--both pretty sharp. One features Orange, the other features Billy Ocean Blue. Cant remember the rest.

    Pretty good competition for the Hightower style bikes out there.
    I heard olive with orange and billy ocean/black with red lettering.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  81. #81
    President of the Internet
    Reputation: Widgeontrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    Ha. Who said the announcement would come on Friday? I do know the Instinct is being released in the next week or so. They have some Carbon 70 spec bikes that are being shipped to dealers for immediate sale/demos. Carbon 70 will likely be a top seller for Rocky this year. $5000 for Fox 34 Elite fork and Float Elite shock, GX Eagle build, Fox dropper, DT 370 hubs with Arch MK3 rims, Forkaster rear tire. Two color options--both pretty sharp. One features Orange, the other features Billy Ocean Blue. Cant remember the rest.

    Pretty good competition for the Hightower style bikes out there.
    That sounds about perfect.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

    Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    I heard olive with orange and billy ocean/black with red lettering.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Confirmed. I saw the actual color samples recently, did not get to see bike pics though.
    Sent from my VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER using Vanatalk

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    380
    Having seen both, they look awesome. Also they use the hidden fsr-link seen on the Slayer. And the shock mounting/geo adjustment parts looks sooo much cleaner than the old one.

    And 2018 geometry.
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Rocky Mountain Instinct C90 BC 2019

  84. #84
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,338
    I am excitedly waiting for the release...

    Any idea when Rocky will unveil it?

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I am excitedly waiting for the release...

    Any idea when Rocky will unveil it?
    This comming thursday/friday, I have heard. Not confirmed, and depending on timezones :-D
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Rocky Mountain Instinct C90 BC 2019

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    206
    Damn son! what a bike!



  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3 View Post
    Damn son! what a bike!


    YES! Now just have to wait for them to land in numbers Down Under.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Juz1970 View Post
    YES! Now just have to wait for them to land in numbers Down Under.
    There's already a demo in large kicking round k Victoria

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3 View Post
    There's already a demo in large kicking round k Victoria
    Thought there might be with the Oz distributor down there. I need some time to save the dosh anyway so can wait (a little while anyway).

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Juz1970 View Post
    Thought there might be with the Oz distributor down there. I need some time to save the dosh anyway so can wait (a little while anyway).
    I'm so happy with my slayer, but Mt old instinct 999 was unreal for plowability* I'm tempted to try the BC model

  91. #91
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,471
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    173
    I hesitate between carbon 50 and 70.
    There is a good price difference (1250 CAD). what I can see the difference is that the 70 to:
    - carbon back
    - Fox 34 Float Performance Elite vs Fox 34 Float Performance (50)
    - Fox Transfer Performance Elite vs. Race Face Aeffect Dropper (50)
    - Stans Arch MK3 rim vs Sun Düroc 30 rim (50)

  93. #93
    President of the Internet
    Reputation: Widgeontrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    790
    What is a tooled rear axle? Not a QR?

    It's odd the the Carbon 90 only comes in the BC edition...
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

    Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    61
    I'm not sure you get a lot of value for that $1250.

    I'm assuming the 70 gets a 34 with Fit4 and the 50 with a Grip dampener. They say the Grip is still a great dampener.

    The one area where the 70 comes out ahead in my opinion is the wheels. Lots of reports of the Duroc 30s being soft. A friend of mine just wrote one off. But, you can buy a lot of aluminum rims with $1250.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3 View Post
    I'm so happy with my slayer, but Mt old instinct 999 was unreal for plowability* I'm tempted to try the BC model
    If i wasn't doing the BCBR next year (and riding a pile of events as training) the BC Edition would def. be the go for me i reckon. The 140/140 should still be awesome but there's nothing like plowing through stuff, I must say!

  96. #96
    President of the Internet
    Reputation: Widgeontrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    790
    I wonder, is the Stylo crank just a re-branded GX crank? It looks the same...
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

    Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

  97. #97
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,471
    The family relationship between the Instinct and Pipeline is very obvious now that the Pipeline can run 29" wheels and the Instinct can run the 27.5+ wheels. The Pipeline has an external headset cup in the lower headset cup in the head tube which lifts the A2C height and slackens the head tube angle, but otherwise... even the chainstays are the same length, and the angles are the same with the same size wheels and they are both 140mm travel.

    2018 Rocky Instinct?-web_pipeline_c70_c1_profile.jpg

    2018 Rocky Instinct?-web_instinct_c70_c2_profile.jpg

    2018 Rocky Instinct?-2018-instinct-275-.jpg

    2018 Rocky Instinct?-2018-pipeline-275-.jpg
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 08-24-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Portti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    234
    Instinct looks like an interesting bike. However since Rocky Mountain doesn't seem to offer the regular non-BC Instinct as a frame only I was wondering what would it take to convert the BC edition frame into regular 140 version.

    Are the only differences the longer stroke shock and suspension links or are there also some other differences? If these are the only differences then would you think that Rocky Mountain would sell the suspension links at a reasonably price to enable the conversion? A shock with a different stroke could then be bought from somewhere.

    By the way has RM published the shock measurements on both versions? I didn't spot them on RM website.
    Last edited by Portti; 08-24-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Typo
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    125
    On a minor note the 70 is speced with DHR front/Forekaster rear. Why not DHF for the front?

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    On a minor note the 70 is speced with DHR front/Forekaster rear. Why not DHF for the front?
    Dhr is a pretty good front tyre too

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rocky Mountain Instinct MSL
    By BATTLE AXE in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM
  2. Rocky Mountain Element 970 MSL vs Instinct 970
    By stinkyto in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 08:25 PM
  3. Anyone Ridden the 2013 Rocky Mountain Instinct 950
    By Richard43 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM
  4. 2013 Rocky Mountain Instinct
    By sh0rty in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 06:00 AM
  5. SPAM: Vintage Rocky Mountain Instinct
    By Buster in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 09:38 PM

Members who have read this thread: 472

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.