2018 Rocky Instinct?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    tvt
    mtbr member
    May 2017

2018 Rocky Instinct?

Does anyone know if there is gonna be a new design for the Instinct coming up? I wanted to get the 2017 970msl because of the great build t has, but I personally don't like the color scheme of that or the BC edition. And might as well wait for the new ones, specially if there is a new design coming up, based on how it is the oldest frame they have at the moment?

chips & bier
    A number of people have had the "be patient" reponse to the question if there's something bigger & badder coming around for next year, so the answer is very likely a yes. I'd think basically a 29" version of an Altitude.

(I'll wait for it, too. Spoke to the dealer yesterday and apparently the carbon size L Altitudes on my side of the pond are already spoken for...pre-orders only apparently. Gotta love those distributors).

ups and downs
    It makes sense, it took about 3 years to transition everything to the ABC bushings, so it will likely take about 3 years to transition everything to the new bearing designs.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Be patient

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I loved my instinct! So fast. Would love another badass one to sit beside my slayer

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If they are updating it, I hope the travel increases.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I don't mind the 140 front/130 rear but would also be cool to see a 'LT' version with 160 front/140 rear. Would also be even cooler if RM surprised us with a June/July announcement of a new Instinct, rather than having to wait another 9 months or so. The new Altitudes look awesome (and ideally suited to my local trails on Sydney's Northern Beaches) but i reckon an Instinct would be enough bike for this 'old guy'.

tvt
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Juz1970 View Post
    I don't mind the 140 front/130 rear but would also be cool to see a 'LT' version with 160 front/140 rear. Would also be even cooler if RM surprised us with a June/July announcement of a new Instinct, rather than having to wait another 9 months or so. The new Altitudes look awesome (and ideally suited to my local trails on Sydney's Northern Beaches) but i reckon an Instinct would be enough bike for this 'old guy'.
    Would they not release it for the August/September annual bike announcement with all the rest? Kind of like how the Element was last year?

tvt
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Would it be a Fall release or have to wait till a mid year release next year round?

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    140/130 was good but most of the competition now is 150/140. If the travel is the same, I'm not sure I would get another one. I love my instinct but there is a lot of good competition now with a bit more travel.

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by tvt View Post
    Would it be a Fall release or have to wait till a mid year release next year round?
    My "be patient" was limited to "until Eurobike".

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yep, i agree there are some very sweet 150/140 29ers around now. Anyway, will just have to wait and see i guess; either way i reckon it will be top of my shopping list!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Rumor has it the 2018 Instinct will be compatible with both 29 and 27.5+ wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm waiting for this thing to be released myself before I pull the trigger on an altitude to go with my slayer

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    155mm travel is the word on the street?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hmmm sounds awesome

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3 View Post
    155mm travel is the word on the street?
    What else do you know haha

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    What else do you know haha
    That's all I have heard lol.. Should also he the usual longer lower slacker thing as with all new bikes these days...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That's all I have heard lol.. Should also he the usual longer lower slacker thing as with all new bikes these days...
    Sounds like a range 29

mtbr member
    Would they not release it for the August/September annual bike announcement with all the rest? Kind of like how the Element was last year?
    Well, they didn't use this approach on the Slayer or the Altitude so don't go by the eurobike date.

If the Instinct revision is ready to be announced by this August, it would mean their Rocky eurobike booth would have 3 new bikes to show that weren't in the previous eurobike (Slayer/Alti/Instinct). For a company with small design dept, that'd be impressive.

Also, be careful what you ask for - the new Altitude770 saw srp go up $500CAD, gained a pound, and its lost Kashima coatings found on the 2016 model. I'm not having any issues with ABC or the 34 stiffness, and I've yet to hear anyone say they're faster as a result of boost spacing or metric shocks. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I will say that going from my '16 altitude bushings to the slayer with bearings the difference in feel is very noticeable. Break away force is all but gone now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Rumor is 155mm travel?? That would be more than the Altitude - how would that make any sense?

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    29 inch wheels make a huge difference in ride so having the same travel as the Altitude seems fine to me.

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy87 View Post
    Rumor is 155mm travel?? That would be more than the Altitude - how would that make any sense?
    Why not? There's clearly a market for long-travel 'EWS level' 29ers. There's also clearly quite a number of riders that would prefer to stick to 27.5, so it makes sense from a business perspective. I think RMB has a lot of bases covered with the risk of some overlap, but most of their bikes also have quite a unique character. I can't ever complain about having more choice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Because it's not an altitude

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Interest peaked

ups and downs
    With the sudden proliferation of 29" DH wheels in the World Cup series, it will be interesting to see how Enduro they get with the Instinct. Obviously they aren't just for trail bikes anymore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    With the sudden proliferation of 29" DH wheels in the World Cup series, it will be interesting to see how Enduro they get with the Instinct. Obviously they aren't just for trail bikes anymore.
    I bet it will be similar to the range

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The range is very burly, almost like the slayer. Cant imagine the instinct going the same route

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The range is very burly, almost like the slayer. Cant imagine the instinct going the same route
    If it has 155 travel it will be

tvt
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Update,
    A bunch of dealers just got the 2018 dealer book in, and man Rocky is stepping up their game. Complete redesign for BOTH the instinct and the thunderbolt. Following the same design as the altitude. Those 2 bikes most likely won't be released until beginning of 2018, similar to the Slayer and Altitude with the instinct going out first.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    sounds good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    mmm can't wait to see what they have in the works

ups and downs
    That's pretty cool, are these local shops that are going to have some early inventory? Photos or it never happened.

Update,
    A bunch of dealers just got the 2018 dealer book in, and man Rocky is stepping up their game. Complete redesign for BOTH the instinct and the thunderbolt. Following the same design as the altitude. Those 2 bikes most likely won't be released until beginning of 2018, similar to the Slayer and Altitude with the instinct going out first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Where did that "2018 Bikes" thread go?!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Good question! Went to check it out after the notification on my phone and it had disappeared!?

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    It was deleted because confidential information was posted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Now my suspicions are confirmed. there are internet police.
    Seriously, these particular threads are full of speculation, and that is one of the reasons we read them. In the automotive world when we get a spy shot or inside information it is a bonus. So why here do you delete it. If it was so top secret then Rocky should have guarded it better.
    A bike post isn't national security, racist, or offensive to anyone.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    Seriously, these particular threads are full of speculation, and that is one of the reasons we read them. In the automotive world when we get a spy shot or inside information it is a bonus. So why here do you delete it. If it was so top secret then Rocky should have guarded it better.
    I'm not a mod for this forum but can see what has been done. Merely relaying info on where the thread went.

President of the Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    I think a pic taken at a race is different than releasing marketing pictures of the product line that isn't supposed to be out yet. It's RM's intellectual property.There were no pics of the Instinct either.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If marketing pictures are so private for Rocky then really they shouldn't release them to just anyone. I was just in to my LBS and they don't have the new catalogue yet, or they are smart enough to not show anybody.
    My boss was just at a industry show where they showed the dealers product that is coming out in the Fall. No pictures were allowed and they had provisions to stop it. If you did sneak a shot and posted it you would lose your dealership. I guess the problem in the bike industry is that no one is afraid to lose a brand because there are so many to replace it.
    Why would MTBR delete a thread? I can only guess it is because they sell adds to Rocky?

ups and downs
    I don't think Rocky advertises on MTBR, I think that's one of the reasons Rocky bikes are never covered in the Interbike featured booth section.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Curious to the comments from the Slayer owner about wanting a Altitude to complement it. What about the Slayer makes you want to ride the Altitude instead?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    According to my bike shop, the launch of the new models will be done next week

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I was at Mont Ste-Anne this weekend for the World Cup and I talked to the Rocky Mountain representative. Here is the additional information I have:

It will have the same design and improvement as the Altitude with a 140mm\ 140mm
    2 colors: Blue (Altitude) and black with red writing, Orange and Khaki with black writing

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Plus rumors say there will be a BC Edition with 150/160

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Doubt their will be one with different rear travel

mtbr member
    May 2016
    some people are right about aspects just wait as releases are due soon!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    of course there will be a BC edition. natch. the guys at the LBS are very excited about this bike and are under embargo from saying anything about it, but they are stoked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frampo View Post
    some people are right about aspects just wait as releases are due soon!
    Do you know/can you state when the embargo lifts?

My lbs gave me lots of info on the new instinct. Even quoted a delivery date for at least one of the first trim levels to be released. I assumed that the embargo lifted on the same date as the delivery date, but that doesn't seem to be the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    BC Ed 160ish mm travel w/ no Ride9. only 1 geo setting is what we heard

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825 View Post

How it should be!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825 View Post

I heard [almost] the exact same thing. 155mm is what I was told.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Sounds like an enduro race weapon! Wonder why we havent seen it on the EWS....?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    Do you know/can you state when the embargo lifts?

My lbs gave me lots of info on the new instinct. Even quoted a delivery date for at least one of the first trim levels to be released. I assumed that the embargo lifted on the same date as the delivery date, but that doesn't seem to be the case

i have only been told august, remember the slayer was release around the 15th last year!

ups and downs
    Crankworx Whistler is the new Interbike for product introductions, and it's coming up soon.

mtbr member
    Crankworx kicks off Friday, and RMB usual have a display so would certainly ad up with new bike release. I note there was talk above of the new Thunderbolt model as well, but for those speaking to dealers in the know I assume that release is still a while off yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sounds like an enduro race weapon! Wonder why we havent seen it on the EWS....?
    fair question. moreover, why is the Slayer not seen on the EWS...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    It is

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    Florian Nicolai was on a Slayer for the first half of the EWS season, and wouldnt be surprised to see it back out at Whistler EWS this week (unless its the unveiling of new Instinct instead).

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by charger32 View Post
    Florian Nicolai was on a Slayer for the first half of the EWS season, and wouldnt be surprised to see it back out at Whistler EWS this week (unless its the unveiling of new Instinct instead).

I have seen seen pics of Flo out there with a coil equipped slayer, so looks like he might be using it for Whistler.

also take a look at the vid Gully just put up

https://www.facebook.com/Geoffgulevi...8344056206430/

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frampo View Post
    I have seen seen pics of Flo out there with a coil equipped slayer, so looks like he might be using it for Whistler.

also take a look at the vid Gully just put up

https://www.facebook.com/Geoffgulevi...8344056206430/
    Had a quick testride on both 2018 140/140 Instinct and 160/155 Instinct BC a few days ago.
    Not allowed to Take photos.
    Great pedaling for longish travel, surprisingly good.
    Longer reach, shorter CS, one geo setting for BC at 66 HA.

Frame is identical, BC has it's own travel link.
    Pipeline is said to have exact same fra as well.
    Pipeline and regular Instinct use a lower headset bearing cup to give slack angle with shorter travel. 66 in slack mode.

140/140 is on my list, as everything 2017 Instinct was lacking has been added to 2018.

The "hidden" fsr link from Slayer is slick, gives good heel clearance.

I am very positive about these bikes.
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Rocky Mountain Instinct C90 BC 2019

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
    Had a quick testride on both 2018 140/140 Instinct and 160/155 Instinct BC a few days ago.
    Not allowed to Take photos.
    Great pedaling for longish travel, surprisingly good.
    Longer reach, shorter CS, one geo setting for BC at 66 HA.

Frame is identical, BC has it's own travel link.
    Pipeline is said to have exact same fra as well.
    Pipeline and regular Instinct use a lower headset bearing cup to give slack angle with shorter travel. 66 in slack mode.

140/140 is on my list, as everything 2017 Instinct was lacking has been added to 2018.

The "hidden" fsr link from Slayer is slick, gives good heel clearance.

I am very positive about these bikes.
    Wow, that sounds like one hell of a versatile frame. If you could get your hands on an extra link you could switch back and forth from 140-155 travel.

Really looking forward to this release. The Instinct BC may replace my 17' Enduro 29 if it pedals well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Too bad they didnt go slacker on the BC Edition. Would have welcomed a 65 - 65.5 HA. Maybe throwing a 170mm fork on it to make it really burly?

155/170 with 65.5 HA doesnt sound too bad I think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Wow, that sounds like one hell of a versatile frame. If you could get your hands on an extra link you could switch back and forth from 140-155 travel.

Really looking forward to this release. The Instinct BC may replace my 17' Enduro 29 if it pedals well.
    The BC edition may also have a longer stroke shock in addition to the bespoke linkage. Would still be cool to be able to run it in either configuration, but it might not be as low-cost as it seems

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Am hoping they go down the Altitude route and have both carbon and alloy models too. I am not an anti-carbon guy at all - an alloy model(s) means I may just be able to afford one as it sounds like the bike fits my needs exactly for the odd marathon and stage race, plus the techy trails around home. Counting down the days now!

29ers Forever
    From what I have heard about the frame, I am considering selling both of my bikes to get it.

It all depends on colourway and price. I haven't been able to ride nearly enough this year (a whopping 9 times on the trail), and I feel really down about that. I want to get out and ride but the weather has been crappy when I am not working or taking day trips with family.
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

I'd like to see more Eagle drivetrains.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    I'd like to see more Eagle drivetrains.
    I'm pretty positive there will be some on the higher end alloy and carbon models.
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

Danger Zone
    It's a bummer that Rocky generally has high prices for the specs you get. I got a good deal on a used Instinct a while ago, but buying used has now bit me in the butt with a crack in the frame. If the prices are consistent with what they have been in years past I'm moving closer to a Jeffsy as my next ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Am hoping they go down the Altitude route and have both carbon and alloy models too. I am not an anti-carbon guy at all - an alloy model(s) means I may just be able to afford one as it sounds like the bike fits my needs exactly for the odd marathon and stage race, plus the techy trails around home. Counting down the days now!
    As far as I know they do not offer the BC in alu, mind you, this is in europe so it may be different in other countries.
    Regular Instinct does come in alu, quite a bit cheaper as you would expect.
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I'm pretty positive there will be some on the higher end alloy and carbon models.
    Right. The 990 has it currently. A GX model would be nice.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm sure the next Instinct will be branded like the Altitude. A and C models with different kits. i.e. the A70 will likely be the nicest aluminum bike with GX Eagle, the C70 will likely be the same kit with carbon frame, for about $900 more. I'm sure all of their new bikes will have this system. My guess is $5k for the C70.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    I'm sure the next Instinct will be branded like the Altitude. A and C models with different kits. i.e. the A70 will likely be the nicest aluminum bike with GX Eagle, the C70 will likely be the same kit with carbon frame, for about $900 more. I'm sure all of their new bikes will have this system. My guess is $5k for the C70.
    Yeah, i hope so. I am keen on the 140/140 aluminium models - mainly due to how expensive these things are here in Australia. Way over priced, really, but then so are pretty much all the more boutique brands (RM, SC, Yeti, etc.)
    Hopefully the announcement is soon!
    Cheers,
    JW

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, i hope so. I am keen on the 140/140 aluminium models - mainly due to how expensive these things are here in Australia. Way over priced, really, but then so are pretty much all the more boutique brands (RM, SC, Yeti, etc.)
    Hopefully the announcement is soon!
    Cheers,
    JW
    There are similar equiped alu versions of the regular Instinct, but I have not seen them for BC version(160/155)

Called Instinct Carbon 30/50/70 and Instinct 30/50/70, similar/same as Altitude.
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    BC Edition is equipped with Code R and GX Eagle if I remember correctly. Saw a pic and the catalouge and specs this morning. Retails for CHF 7000.-

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It's Friday! Where's the announcement!

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ha. Who said the announcement would come on Friday? I do know the Instinct is being released in the next week or so. They have some Carbon 70 spec bikes that are being shipped to dealers for immediate sale/demos. Carbon 70 will likely be a top seller for Rocky this year. $5000 for Fox 34 Elite fork and Float Elite shock, GX Eagle build, Fox dropper, DT 370 hubs with Arch MK3 rims, Forkaster rear tire. Two color options--both pretty sharp. One features Orange, the other features Billy Ocean Blue. Cant remember the rest.

Pretty good competition for the Hightower style bikes out there.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Some reason I thought it would be released Friday at crankworks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ha. Who said the announcement would come on Friday? I do know the Instinct is being released in the next week or so. They have some Carbon 70 spec bikes that are being shipped to dealers for immediate sale/demos. Carbon 70 will likely be a top seller for Rocky this year. $5000 for Fox 34 Elite fork and Float Elite shock, GX Eagle build, Fox dropper, DT 370 hubs with Arch MK3 rims, Forkaster rear tire. Two color options--both pretty sharp. One features Orange, the other features Billy Ocean Blue. Cant remember the rest.

I heard olive with orange and billy ocean/black with red lettering.

That sounds about perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I heard olive with orange and billy ocean/black with red lettering.

Confirmed. I saw the actual color samples recently, did not get to see bike pics though.
    Sent from my VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER using Vanatalk

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Having seen both, they look awesome. Also they use the hidden fsr-link seen on the Slayer. And the shock mounting/geo adjustment parts looks sooo much cleaner than the old one.

And 2018 geometry.
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway

29ers Forever
    I am excitedly waiting for the release...

Any idea when Rocky will unveil it?
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I am excitedly waiting for the release...

Any idea when Rocky will unveil it?
    This comming thursday/friday, I have heard. Not confirmed, and depending on timezones :-D
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Damn son! what a bike!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Damn son! what a bike!

YES! Now just have to wait for them to land in numbers Down Under.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    YES! Now just have to wait for them to land in numbers Down Under.
    There's already a demo in large kicking round k Victoria

mtbr member
    May 2012
    There's already a demo in large kicking round k Victoria
    Thought there might be with the Oz distributor down there. I need some time to save the dosh anyway so can wait (a little while anyway).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thought there might be with the Oz distributor down there. I need some time to save the dosh anyway so can wait (a little while anyway).
    I'm so happy with my slayer, but Mt old instinct 999 was unreal for plowability* I'm tempted to try the BC model

ups and downs

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I hesitate between carbon 50 and 70.
    There is a good price difference (1250 CAD). what I can see the difference is that the 70 to:
    - carbon back
    - Fox 34 Float Performance Elite vs Fox 34 Float Performance (50)
    - Fox Transfer Performance Elite vs. Race Face Aeffect Dropper (50)
    - Stans Arch MK3 rim vs Sun Düroc 30 rim (50)

What is a tooled rear axle? Not a QR?

It's odd the the Carbon 90 only comes in the BC edition...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm not sure you get a lot of value for that $1250.

I'm assuming the 70 gets a 34 with Fit4 and the 50 with a Grip dampener. They say the Grip is still a great dampener.

The one area where the 70 comes out ahead in my opinion is the wheels. Lots of reports of the Duroc 30s being soft. A friend of mine just wrote one off. But, you can buy a lot of aluminum rims with $1250.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm so happy with my slayer, but Mt old instinct 999 was unreal for plowability* I'm tempted to try the BC model
    If i wasn't doing the BCBR next year (and riding a pile of events as training) the BC Edition would def. be the go for me i reckon. The 140/140 should still be awesome but there's nothing like plowing through stuff, I must say!

I wonder, is the Stylo crank just a re-branded GX crank? It looks the same...

ups and downs
    The family relationship between the Instinct and Pipeline is very obvious now that the Pipeline can run 29" wheels and the Instinct can run the 27.5+ wheels. The Pipeline has an external headset cup in the lower headset cup in the head tube which lifts the A2C height and slackens the head tube angle, but otherwise... even the chainstays are the same length, and the angles are the same with the same size wheels and they are both 140mm travel.

2018 Rocky Instinct?-web_pipeline_c70_c1_profile.jpg

2018 Rocky Instinct?-web_instinct_c70_c2_profile.jpg

2018 Rocky Instinct?-2018-instinct-275-.jpg

2018 Rocky Instinct?-2018-pipeline-275-.jpg
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 08-24-2017 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Instinct looks like an interesting bike. However since Rocky Mountain doesn't seem to offer the regular non-BC Instinct as a frame only I was wondering what would it take to convert the BC edition frame into regular 140 version.

Are the only differences the longer stroke shock and suspension links or are there also some other differences? If these are the only differences then would you think that Rocky Mountain would sell the suspension links at a reasonably price to enable the conversion? A shock with a different stroke could then be bought from somewhere.

By the way has RM published the shock measurements on both versions? I didn't spot them on RM website.
    Last edited by Portti; 08-24-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Typo
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    On a minor note the 70 is speced with DHR front/Forekaster rear. Why not DHF for the front?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    On a minor note the 70 is speced with DHR front/Forekaster rear. Why not DHF for the front?
    Dhr is a pretty good front tyre too

mtbr member

2018 Rocky Instinct?

BC edition or regular Instinct ? Who's getting what. I can't decide

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    BC edition or regular Instinct ? Who's getting what. I can't decide

Most likely regular for me - has to be my "one bike" (although i still have a hardtail )
    BC Edition looks seriously killer though.

mtbr member
    Most likely regular for me - has to be my "one bike" (although i still have a hardtail )
    BC Edition looks seriously killer though.
    Same situation for me. But I am having a hard time deciding. The BC keeps calling my name

29ers Forever
    If I could afford either, I'd get my hands on a BC Edition.
    But I will stick with my 2017 950 for a while longer.
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Also interested in seeing the weight of the alloy frames. Being a Clydesdale it doesn't really matter but would still like to have something not overly beefy - a bummer they don't sell the alloy frames separately but as a business case i guess it doesn't make much sense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anybody know what the shock size is on both the regular and BC 2018 Instinct?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I was told by my dealer that these things are supposed to be arriving soon. I'm tempted to place on order, but I am reluctant to do so before at least a few ride reports from Pink Bike and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamfromCanada View Post
    I was told by my dealer that these things are supposed to be arriving soon. I'm tempted to place on order, but I am reluctant to do so before at least a few ride reports from Pink Bike and the like.
    There is a very positive review of the new Altitude in the latest Bike mag. I imagine the bikes have to be quite similar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Same situation for me. But I am having a hard time deciding. The BC keeps calling my name

What I would do (seeing as it comes with both headset cups) is buying the BC edition and running the stock 29" wheels with some XC tyres and getting some aggressive 27+ wheels and tyres for enduro. You may be able to buy the standard linkage later on and pick up a secondhand shock for full XC duties.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    What I would do (seeing as it comes with both headset cups) is buying the BC edition and running the stock 29" wheels with some XC tyres and getting some aggressive 27+ wheels and tyres for enduro. You may be able to buy the standard linkage later on and pick up a secondhand shock for full XC duties.
    Funny you should say that. I have been in talks with Rocky Mountain. They suggested the same thing. They said I could get the standard linkage and another shock. So that's my plan now. I will get ordering the orange and green BC edition size large frame. Maybe this week if I make it to my dealer. I plan on getting an MRP Ribbon fork. It goes to 160mm travel in 29er form. I love my MRP Stage and can't wait to try the Ribbon. This will be a good compliment to my Canfield EPO. Just sold my Ibis Ripley frame to make room in my stable. I will need to pickup a boost wheel set as well. ✌️

mtbr member
    Here is a short review from Dirt Rag Mag
    http://dirtragmag.com/first-ride-roc...n-instinct-29/

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I noticed your question to the writer and i wondered the same thing re what bike he actually rode as he references 140mm suspension and the Fox Float. Looking forward to seeing/reading some more comprehensive reviews soon.

mtbr member
    I noticed your question to the writer and i wondered the same thing re what bike he actually rode as he references 140mm suspension and the Fox Float. Looking forward to seeing/reading some more comprehensive reviews soon.
    So I looked at the article again and noticed the photos towards the end show the author riding a non piggy back Shock Instinct and they show the Ride9 linkage. So I am guessing they used some of the press release photos. Aaron Chamberlain is sited in a couple photos and he also shoots photos for Pink Bike.

mtbr member
    Funny you should say that. I have been in talks with Rocky Mountain. They suggested the same thing. They said I could get the standard linkage and another shock. So that's my plan now. I will get ordering the orange and green BC edition size large frame. Maybe this week if I make it to my dealer. I plan on getting an MRP Ribbon fork. It goes to 160mm travel in 29er form. I love my MRP Stage and can't wait to try the Ribbon. This will be a good compliment to my Canfield EPO. Just sold my Ibis Ripley frame to make room in my stable. I will need to pickup a boost wheel set as well. ✌️

Holy Crap. Really?
    That is a game changer. If they sell the link as well this is the most versatile bike out there! I'm cancelling my new E29 order tomorrow if this is the case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Holy Crap. Really?
    That is a game changer. If they sell the link as well this is the most versatile bike out there! I'm cancelling my new E29 order tomorrow if this is the case.
    Truth. Via email RM told me the BC edition could be converted back to regular design by running a shorter shock and link!

mtbr member
    Looks pretty nice.

Is the 2018 Instinct BC edition coil friendly?

Can it handle a 29 x 2.5" tire in the rear? If not what is the max size in measured width?
    Last edited by vikb; 08-29-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yep, they look like press pics for sure plus i also noticed those images showing the non-piggy back shock. Either way it's all good - as i said before, I/we just need to hang in and wait for the longer reviews to start landing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Looks pretty nice.

Is the 2018 Instinct BC edition coil friendly?

Can it handle a 29 x 2.5" tire in the rear? If not what is the max size in measured width?
    29 x 2.6"

mtbr member
    Truth. Via email RM told me the BC edition could be converted back to regular design by running a shorter shock and link!

This is good info and answers some of my questions a couple of message earlier on this thread. Next step would be to know what are the shock measurements on both the BC and non-BC versions. Also the pricing of the non-BC version suspension links would be good to know.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    29 x 2.6"
    Awesome. Generous tire clearance is important to me.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Also, does the BC frame-only come with the headset spacer used for the Pipeline?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Maybe someone can check if the link for the BC edition is the same which is used by the normal instinct with Ride 9 and the only change is that the link is fixed in the slacket position 1?

I'm thinking about getting some offest bushings to reduce the E2E and lower the BB height.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone know when the Instinct BC will become available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k_onbike View Post
    Anyone know when the Instinct BC will become available?
    Available now in limited supply with a full release in mid October

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan0103 View Post
    Maybe someone can check if the link for the BC edition is the same which is used by the normal instinct with Ride 9 and the only change is that the link is fixed in the slacket position 1?

I'm thinking about getting some offest bushings to reduce the E2E and lower the BB height.
    I speculate the BC link is a link fixed in the slack position 1. Still waiting to hear back from RM on the availability and price of the regular link

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Available now in limited supply with a full release in mid October

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

I can confirm the BC Link is the same as the regular link, but fixed in Position 1.

I'd be careful using an offset bushing, make sure you check tire clearance to the seat tube at full bottom out. Depending on your tire choice, there could be some interference.

Also for those of you wondering, the Regular Instinct uses a 210x55mm shock and the Instinct BC uses an 8.5x2.5" shock

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So theoretically we could just stay in position 1 on the regular Instinct and opt for a Fox 36 in 150/160 up front? But would we still need a different/longer-stroke shock or not? Maybe not?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    So theoretically we could just stay in position 1 on the regular Instinct and opt for a Fox 36 in 150/160 up front? But would we still need a different/longer-stroke shock or not? Maybe not?
    Technically you could, but you would still only have 140mm travel in the rear.

Using the standard shock in Position 1 and a 150mm fork would give you a 65.5 HTA, 33mm BB drop, 74 STA, 10mm shorter Reach than neutral ride 9 with 140 fork (same geo as pipeline in position 1)

Using the standard shock in Position 1 and a 160mm fork would give you a 65 HTA and 30mm BB drop, 73.5 STA, 15mm shorter reach than neutral ride 9 with 140 fork

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLeslie View Post
    ...Also for those of you wondering, the Regular Instinct uses a 210x55mm shock and the Instinct BC uses an 8.5x2.5" shock
    Thanks for the info.

The 210x55 mm size seems to be something that might be difficult to source at least at the moment. I looked at Fox and RockShox sites and they didn't list any air shocks on size 210x55 mm and neither did couple of webshops which I looked at.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member

2018 Rocky Instinct?

Quote Originally Posted by Portti View Post
    Thanks for the info.

The 210x55 mm size seems to be something that might be difficult to source at least at the moment. I looked at Fox and RockShox sites and they didn't list any air shocks on size 210x55 mm and neither did couple of webshops which I looked at.
    210x55 is the new metric sizing. Not popular yet. Cane Creek carries this size though. DB Air [IL] That's a good thing.

mtbr member
    Looks like a Cane Creek DB Coil will fit the BC Edition. Hopefully the suspension kinematics play nice with a coil.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

2018 Rocky Instinct?

I demoed a 2018 C90 Altitude. Holy efff. I was blown away. Such a fast bike. Acceleration was insane. So agile and playful. The new pedal platform is legit. Perfect balance of plushness and pop. The bike was so stable but still lively. I can't wait to try the Instinct when my LBS gets it in. These new RM bikes are so gooooooooooodddddd

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I would also like to ride that bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    someone knows the difference in weight between carbon 50 and carbon 70.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anxious to hear any ride reviews of the Instinct BC edition, especially in regards to pedaling performance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Coils fit and work great on the Instinct FYI. The new generation frames were designed to fit all makes and models of air and coil shocks. The Vivid Air and Float X2 shocks together have the most clearance concerns and even those fit without issue.

The only thing we could not rectify is getting full size (750ml) water bottles in the frame with a piggyback shock, but a standard 620ml / 21oz bottle fits.

2018 Rocky Instinct?-lots-instinct-bc-edition-coil.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich24 View Post
    someone knows the difference in weight between carbon 50 and carbon 70.
    About .9lbs / 420grams

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB-PM2 View Post
    Coils fit and work great on the Instinct FYI. The new generation frames were designed to fit all makes and models of air and coil shocks. The Vivid Air and Float X2 shocks together have the most clearance concerns and even those fit without issue.

The only thing we could not rectify is getting full size (750ml) water bottles in the frame with a piggyback shock, but a standard 620ml / 21oz bottle fits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOTS - Instinct BC Edition with coil.jpg 
Views:	3414 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	1157412
    Thanks for the info. A 620ml bottle is fine. It's a lot of moving parts to fit into a frame and maintain lowish standover!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Will the BC Edition Frame-Only option come with an extender headset cup as standard?

Will we be able to buy the Ride-9 link separately?

mtbr member

Can you share your dhx2 settings? I have my shock ready just patiently awaiting the BC Edition!

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by ctw55 View Post
    Can you share your dhx2 settings? I have my shock ready just patiently awaiting the BC Edition!
    +1. I'd be interested in hearing any setting recommendations. Will be going for a DHX2 when I order by Instinct as well. The shock will have to be custom ordered anyway so might as well get it right first time around.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Someone found a full review of the 2018 Instinct carbon 70 or 50?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    i like the plain blue coloured frame. how did u get it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

pretty tame looking terrain, is it even worth mountain biking there? ;]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks! What it's the weight difference between the c70 and the a70?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by celli View Post
    i like the plain blue coloured frame. how did u get it?
    Works for RM Bikes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    This isn't adding much substance to the discussion, but I really want to ride this bike! Looking to replace my Mojo 3 with a mid-travel 29er and this appears to be a serious contender.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruinane View Post
    Thanks! What it's the weight difference between the c70 and the a70?
    1.5lbs between the two, C70 being the lighter one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cool, thanks. Going to outerbike in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping they'll have a new small instinct for me to try out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Awesome, thanks for sharing your insight! What do you think of the Instinct's climbing capabilities? I'm particularly interested in the BC Edition, but haven't heard much about how it climbs in comparison to the regular model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hi,
    someone knows the BB height for the BC Edition?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hi,
    I contacted RM about the BB height earlier this week, and they told me that it's a measurement they don't have on file due to its dependency on factors such as rim width, tire type, and tire pressure. However, the BC Edition geometry seems to be pretty similar to the new Orbea Rallon which has a BB drop of 28mm and a height of 343mm, so I'm guessing that it's roughly the same.

mtbr member
    Hi,
    BB Drop is listed as 19mm. I have some 29er wheels here I'd use on it [35mm rims with a Conti Trail King 2.4" tire mounted] that are ~378mm tall at the axle so 378-19 = 359mm with that rim/tire combo.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I demoed a 2018 C90 Altitude. Holy efff. I was blown away. Such a fast bike. Acceleration was insane. So agile and playful. The new pedal platform is legit. Perfect balance of plushness and pop. The bike was so stable but still lively. I can't wait to try the Instinct when my LBS gets it in. These new RM bikes are so gooooooooooodddddd

Cool. Which bikes have ridden in past to compare to? Where I am, I don't think the LBS even stocks it...special order only.

The Riddler
    Anyone know the shock size and stroke on the new BC edition? Hoping I can pull the shim from my existing Topaz and use that at 200x57.

Thx!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo View Post
    Anyone know the shock size and stroke on the new BC edition? Hoping I can pull the shim from my existing Topaz and use that at 200x57.

Thx!
    From a few posts higher on the page...

Quote Originally Posted by SLeslie View Post
    Also for those of you wondering, the Regular Instinct uses a 210x55mm shock and the Instinct BC uses an 8.5x2.5" shock
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Cool. Which bikes have ridden in past to compare to? Where I am, I don't think the LBS even stocks it...special order only.
    I now own this bike. I rode a lot of 29ers. I still have and love my Canfield EPO. Had an Evil the Following and Ibis Ripley LS before this full squish. I just love how much fun this Altitude is. I can get enough. It's my first 27.5 bike and I am stoked.
    2018 Rocky Instinct?-img_4422.jpg2018 Rocky Instinct?-img_4423.jpg

high pivot witchcraft
    I now own this bike. I rode a lot of 29ers. I still have and love my Canfield EPO. Had an Evil the Following and Ibis Ripley LS before this full squish. I just love how much fun this Altitude is. I can get enough. It's my first 27.5 bike and I am stoked.

Name:	IMG_4422.jpg 
Views:	967 
Size:	261.0 KB 
ID:	1159091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4423.jpg 
Views:	1270 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	1159092

Instinct, Altitude, Slayer...

Rocky seems to be absolutely killing it right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    For those wondering where to source a 210x55 rear shock....

http://www.dvosuspension.com/product...-t3-air-shock/

2018 Rocky Instinct?-topaz1-528x528.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So anybody have a new Instinct yet? Reviews?

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    So anybody have a new Instinct yet? Reviews?
    I think a few bikes are just arriving at dealers right now. I also heard that several of the trim models wouldn't be in shops until Feb.

The Instinct should be a pretty good seller, with a light frame and a 34 on the front, it keeps it pretty sporty, vs the bigger heavier 140ish bikes with a 36...

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Is it just me or do the geo numbers on reach and top tube seem pretty short? Rocky's sizing suggestions put me squarely on a small but the numbers seem pretty tight. Overall, the small instinct looks smaller size wise than my small django 29, which already feels too small.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deserat View Post
    Is it just me or do the geo numbers on reach and top tube seem pretty short? Rocky's sizing suggestions put me squarely on a small but the numbers seem pretty tight. Overall, the small instinct looks smaller size wise than my small django 29, which already feels too small.
    The reach on a large instinct BC Ed is 0.5" shorter than the reach on my current bike and I am running a 50mm stem on the current bike. So it's not crazy short, but it's not as long as it could be.

I tend to ignore Eff TT these days as it's so hard to know what it actually means at my saddle height.

The challenge with designing long travel 29ers is that if you make them long in reach the WB get long and you start to run into issues when trails get tight.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Name:	IMG_4422.jpg 
Views:	967 
Size:	261.0 KB 
ID:	1159091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4423.jpg 
Views:	1270 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	1159092

Cool. What size/height/weight are you? I'm on a old 26er and only 5'5"/145lbs. At first I was deadset on 27.5 for my new bike, but now with more and more 29er or hybrid 29/27.5+ bikes like the Instinct coming out I'm curious. So are you liking 27.5+ better than 29er? Ripley and Following are top of the top 29ers out there, albeit less travel then some of the new ones.

high pivot witchcraft
    Sorry if I missed this. Does anyone have a sense as to what the BC Edition will weigh stock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Sorry if I missed this. Does anyone have a sense as to what the BC Edition will weigh stock?
    Instinct Carbon 90 BC Edition complete: 29.5lb (13.4kg), size Medium

2018 Rocky Mountain Instinct - Its FINIALLY Here!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

high pivot witchcraft
    Instinct Carbon 90 BC Edition complete: 29.5lb (13.4kg), size Medium

2018 Rocky Mountain Instinct - Its FINIALLY Here!
    Nice. Easily reducible from there quite a bit. Perfect. Thank you.

EDIT: Just looked at it again more closely. Hmmm...maybe not so easily. And maybe not quite a bit. Wheels, crank and cockpit, but at a cost. I wouldn't mess with the rubber. Still though, the stock weight is acceptable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    At 5'5" the issue for you and me will be standover. Both the instinct and altitude have high standovers. Test ride an altitude in Park City. Loved it but wanted to ride both it and the Instinct in technical terrain before deciding whether or not I could live with it. Hopefully they'll have a small Instinct at Outerbike next week otherwise I'll probably get a Following and call it good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Nice. Easily reducible from there quite a bit. Perfect. Thank you.

EDIT: Just looked at it again more closely. Hmmm...maybe not so easily. And maybe not quite a bit. Wheels, crank and cockpit, but at a cost. I wouldn't mess with the rubber. Still though, the stock weight is acceptable.
    Med RM Instinct 2018 frame + shock + small parts = ~6.2lbs. So getting a build under 28lbs is a reasonable goal, but I'd start with a frame/shock and build from there that would be easier than revamping a complete. As long as you have time to hunt some deals you can do a custom build that competes with a complete in price.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    The BC is likely heavier than the 70 with wider rims, code brakes, Fox 36, DPX2 shock...

Put all that stuff on a bike and it will get heavy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Been on my 70 now for a week and about 100kms. I've owned the last gen instinct bc and altitude rally and this bike is my favorite of the bunch likely due to the longer reach. I spent all summer on a new banshee rune with similar length numbers(absolutely a bull dozer of a bike), but even with the 140/140 I'm loving this new instinct more. Felt comfortable from the first ride.

Only changes I've made were swapping the DHR II to the rear and put a DHF 2.5 up front. Weights about 29lbs with HT X2 pedals for an XL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Rocky Instinct?-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Cool. What size/height/weight are you? I'm on a old 26er and only 5'5"/145lbs. At first I was deadset on 27.5 for my new bike, but now with more and more 29er or hybrid 29/27.5+ bikes like the Instinct coming out I'm curious. So are you liking 27.5+ better than 29er? Ripley and Following are top of the top 29ers out there, albeit less travel then some of the new ones.
    Size Large, 6'1", 35" inseam, 170 pounds ready to ride. I am liking the 27.5 more right now. The playfulness, acceleration and traction of the 27.5 is amazing. I was going to wait and Demo an Instinct when my dealer got one. I ended up riding this Altitude and it instantly felt perfect. I love the perfect blend of stability and pop of the bike. I think 29ers have there place too, as long and slack bikes. It all depends on your trail systems. For me the longer wheelbase 27.5 is more fun and easier to get around the tight twisty trails of the east coast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Any issues with chain slap? The chain looks really close to the chain stay when it is in the small cassette cog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Nothing out of the ordinary I don't think. Did wrap the stay with rubber tape and I didn't really notice it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Awesome thanks!

mtbr member
    So at the moment the RM site only shows the BC Ed Instinct as a frame only. Do you think you'll be able to buy a non-BC Ed frame + shock in carbon down the road or is the BC Ed likely the only instinct frame + shock option that will be available?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    So at the moment the RM site only shows the BC Ed Instinct as a frame only. Do you think you'll be able to buy a non-BC Ed frame + shock in carbon down the road or is the BC Ed likely the only instinct frame + shock option that will be available?
    I emailed RM this same question. There response was that the BC edition is the only option for frame only purchase. They said I could get the regular link from them with the ride 9 chip and source a shock to bring the BC frame back to 140mm travel if I wanted a regular frame only option.

mtbr member
    I emailed RM this same question. There response was that the BC edition is the only option for frame only purchase. They said I could get the regular link from them with the ride 9 chip and source a shock to bring the BC frame back to 140mm travel if I wanted a regular frame only option.
    Okay thanks. Ya I knew that about the shock and links, but spending $$ on top of $$$$ to get a new bike setup the way I wanted makes it less likely I'll pull the trigger.

With my tires of choice the BC Ed will have a a ~14" BB which is higher than I want.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    With my tires of choice the BC Ed will have a a ~14" BB which is higher than I want.
    I'd double check those calculations against real-world measurements when you have an opportunity. 14" seems very high.

mtbr member

2018 Rocky Instinct?

BC Edition only has 19mm of BB drop. If you run tall tires like a Conti MK, that will put the BB at 14"/356 mm

mtbr member
    BC Edition only has 19mm of BB drop. If you run tall tires like a Conti MK, that will put the BB at 14"/356 mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    I'd double check those calculations against real-world measurements when you have an opportunity. 14" seems very high.
    I did measure a wheel in my office and subtracted the 19mm BBD listed on the RM website. I actually get 14.1"**. And yes that's high, but it sort of makes sense. That puts the non-BC Ed BB at ~13.4" accounting for its 36mm BBD. They took the non-BC Ed and jacked it up to get the increased travel out of it.

That's why I was thinking I'd rather have the standard edition Instinct and throw a 150mm fork on it. Keeps the BB reasonable and provides a bit more fork up front.

** - I've got 2.4" tires on the some 35mm rims that measure 62mm wide so they are the same size as a Maxxis 2.5" tire.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    ---
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I did measure a wheel in my office and subtracted the 19mm BBD listed on the RM website. I actually get 14.1"**. And yes that's high, but it sort of makes sense. That puts the non-BC Ed BB at ~13.4" accounting for its 36mm BBD. They took the non-BC Ed and jacked it up to get the increased travel out of it.

That's why I was thinking I'd rather have the standard edition Instinct and throw a 150mm fork on it. Keeps the BB reasonable and provides a bit more fork up front.

** - I've got 2.4" tires on the some 35mm rims that measure 62mm wide so they are the same size as a Maxxis 2.5" tire.
    That's a great idea about getting the Non BC Edition and putting a 150mm fork on it. Does anyone know what you would need to do to lengthen the 140mm fork to 150mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    That's a great idea about getting the Non BC Edition and putting a 150mm fork on it. Does anyone know what you would need to do to lengthen the 140mm fork to 150mm?
    About $40 for a different length air shaft and a half hour of your time (remove fork lowers, swap out air shaft, reassemble fork).

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Unfortunately, it's a new fork. 29er Fox 34 maxes out at 140.

Explore 34 Bike Forks | FOX

mtbr member

2018 Rocky Instinct?

Unfortunately, it's a new fork. 29er Fox 34 maxes out at 140.

Explore 34 Bike Forks | FOX
    Could be.

Do we know if the 150 shaft is incompatible with current 34 forks? Or, is it just not available for purchase as a complete fork in 150 config?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    You may be confused by the fact that the 27.5 fork goes to 150.

mtbr member

2018 Rocky Instinct?

You may be confused by the fact that the 27.5 fork goes to 150.
    I'm not confusing the 27.5 forks.

My question is, does the 150 shaft fit in the current Fox 34 29er fork? I understand you can't purchase the fork as a 150 for a 29er. But can you, for example, take a 140 29er fork and swap in the longer shaft? This was absolutely possible on the 2017 forks. Is it now not possible for the 2018 models?

Sorry for derailing the thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Not derailing at all. This is pertinent information regarding options for the 2018 Instinct that I think most would be interested in knowing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    Been on my 70 now for a week and about 100kms. I've owned the last gen instinct bc and altitude rally and this bike is my favorite of the bunch likely due to the longer reach. I spent all summer on a new banshee rune with similar length numbers(absolutely a bull dozer of a bike), but even with the 140/140 I'm loving this new instinct more. Felt comfortable from the first ride.

Only changes I've made were swapping the DHR II to the rear and put a DHF 2.5 up front. Weights about 29lbs with HT X2 pedals for an XL.
    Sorry, I missed that it was an XL.
    Last edited by cbgoring; 10-09-2017 at 12:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

I suppose that the opposite will be also possible? To convert the version 140/140 in version BC edition?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Bluenose, how efficient would you say it is at climbing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I would say it's a slight improvement over the last design from what I can remember, but I haven't really taken it on anything particularly long yet. The suspension is active but feels efficient. I currently have it set up in the middle ride 9 setting and will probably leave it there for the home trails I ride.

I've spent most of the last 2 years on bigger bikes/hardtails, this thing feels like a rocket, so I'm probably not a good one to comment yet lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smirnoff1964 View Post
    I suppose that the opposite will be also possible? To convert the version 140/140 in version BC edition?
    I would agree. As long as RM would supply you with the BC link.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I would agree. As long as RM would supply you with the BC link.

From what I've read, the BC link is the same as the standard link, but just permanently set in the slackest position. So if you have the standard version, you just need a longer shock.

I don't see why they don't just give you the standard link with the BC Edition. Can't cost that much more. The only reason I can think of is if you try to use the steeper positions with the longer BC shock, you might get interference with the seat tube and seatstays. But I think people would figure that out before they did any damage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    From what I've read, the BC link is the same as the standard link, but just permanently set in the slackest position. So if you have the standard version, you just need a longer shock.

I don't see why they don't just give you the standard link with the BC Edition. Can't cost that much more. The only reason I can think of is if you try to use the steeper positions with the longer BC shock, you might get interference with the seat tube and seatstays. But I think people would figure that out before they did any damage.
    You would think. But I bet RM's warranty department feels/knows otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    You would think. But I bet RM's warranty department feels/knows otherwise.

If you were to run the bike with the BC edition shock in position 2 or 3 on the regular link, you would run the risk of having the tire hit the seat tube at full compression (depending on tire choice) damaging your frame. Making the BC link single position prevents anyone from having any issues from incorrect set up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Kinematic analysis of the new Instinct and Instinct BC Edition:

https://mrblackmorescorner.blogspot....-mountain.html

PD: thanks @SLeslie for the info about shock sizes

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast