2018 Rocky Instinct? - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 1,201 to 1,231 of 1231
    mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Has any one put a rockshox super deluxe on? Theres a 210x55 basically brand new for sale near me.
    Cancel that
    May have found a DVO Topaz T3. Anyone have DVO on their bikes? the diamond looks promising aswell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Posted to the 2020 thread too: https://www.bikes.com/safety-recall

Voluntary safety recall of certain 2018 – 2020 alloy Instinct, Instinct BC and Pipeline front triangles (alloy)

Poster:
    https://www.bikes.com/sites/default/...lPoster_v3.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikbur View Post
    Posted to the 2020 thread too: https://www.bikes.com/safety-recall

Voluntary safety recall of certain 2018 – 2020 alloy Instinct, Instinct BC and Pipeline front triangles (alloy)

Poster:
    https://www.bikes.com/sites/default/...lPoster_v3.pdf
    Yeah I just got a call from my LBS telling me about this recall. I need to take my Instinct in for shock/fork service today and will find out the details but on the phone call he said something about the replacement frame would be color neutral. I imagine that means same color front triangle?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I guess on the colour thing.
    This is my first bike that I have ever particularly cared about the colour on, so if that is the case, I'll not be too thrilled.

Please post back if they tell you what the issue is - eg. what fails.

Edit - and if it is any heavier...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So I just got back from LBS, owner tells me when they built the bike the welds weren't hot enough and "could" get stress fractures and fail. I have a 2018 Instinct A50 and they told me I drop bike off they take pictures of serial # then I wait 4-8 weeks for a replacement front triangle. I have the O.D. green frame and what he told me is they won't color match the new frame, going to do a neutral color. WHAT? This way LBS's will know the color of replaced frames. I am waiting this one our until Nov-Dec. As I was pulling out of the parking lot a dude was wheeling his 2020 Instinct in and I was talking to him, he told me they were replacing his frame right then and upgrading to Carbon, thats alot different from what the owner just told me. So I am waiting this one out to see the facts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I called Rocky Mountain, and got the official line. "It is dangerous, stop riding it now".
    They confirmed that it would be a grey front triangle.

I am not impressed. I know with all that is going on I should just count my blessings, but I've barely even ridden the thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

2018 Rocky Instinct BC

Had my Instinct BC C90 size large over two and half years. Has to be the best bike I have owned in 30 years of MTBing. The bike does everything really well from general trail riding to all out park thrashing. Frame,fork and shock have been totally reliable. Shimano fan here so brakes changed from new. Factory Stans Flow mk3 with dt370 hub has been the only let down. Full credit to the Stans distributor here in NZ they have honoured the 2 year warranty on the mk3 3 times with replacement rim and wheel free rebuild (cracked spoke holes). Setup Fork, 1 token 65psi 8 clicks for rebound and 2 LSC, Rear shock no volume spacer 185psi 2 clicks of LSC. Frame has angled headset from work components 1 degree which takes head angle to 64.9.
    2018 Rocky Instinct?-20190812_130137.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hey guys, how have you guys successfully got the chain-slap quieted down? The chain is so close to the chainstay when in the smallest cog (hardest gear) and I get some fairly loud chainslap. I have the stock rubber protector on there but it doesn't cut it for noise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Recall - RM Instinct Alloy

Recall on the Instinct Alloy (2018-2019) Just announced. Apparent risk for front triangle cracking. Any thoughts on how long replacement would take? I'm sensing a long lead time and not having my bike for a while. Totally frustrating since the trails just dried up here in MO and I bought the bike March. Was starting to have a ton of fun riding and now what, wait 2 months for new frame?

https://www.bikes.com/safety-recall

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBSTV View Post
    Recall on the Instinct Alloy (2018-2019)
    https://www.bikes.com/safety-recall
    2018 - 2020, as below in the thread.

I called RM and they read me the official story - which is stop riding now - no qualifiers.

My thoughts for me (my judgement, my risk) is that I'll keep riding for now. I'm not sending it or riding the bike to a fraction of its ability, nor am I particularly heavy.
    I live in Ontario, not BC.

They told me the weld that was in question is the head tube to top tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Hey guys, how have you guys successfully got the chain-slap quieted down? The chain is so close to the chainstay when in the smallest cog (hardest gear) and I get some fairly loud chainslap. I have the stock rubber protector on there but it doesn't cut it for noise.
    Yep I didn't like the chain slap so used a tube for about 2 years then the new Slayer came out and I brought the new Slayer frame protection kit, the chain stay protector fits real good on my C90. Noise gone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Rocky Instinct?-20200622_141648.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tenpointfive View Post
    Yep I didn't like the chain slap so used a tube for about 2 years then the new Slayer came out and I brought the new Slayer frame protection kit, the chain stay protector fits real good on my C90. Noise gone.
    Ah very cool man. I found the protection kit for the 2020 slayer that has that chainstay protector. Its 50$ or so tho. Did you get it via a different way that was cheaper or just buy the whole kit?

Looks promising. I have the old flat rubber protector (not super quiet) but this looks sweet. Is it really super quiet now?? Thatd be awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I have read it could take one to two months for the new frame to get to our local dealers, any confirmation of this?Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    that's what I was told 4-8 weeks on 2018 Instinct. 2020 were available now. I am waiting for November. Don't feel like riding a hard tail all summer

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Brought it of the Rocky shop page, Ive fitted both the chain stay protector and the seat stay protector from the Slayer kit and used grey sealant to fix both. The rubber is softer than the Instinct's original protector and thicker. The chain stay protector also runs down the inside of the chain stay, my chain was hitting there also where the chain stay bends. Bike runs very quiet now. No problems with clearance in 10t cog with 32t chainring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Question for BC owners with 8.5x2.5/216x63 Coil shock:
    What is your weight and which spring do you use?
    I am planing to upgrade Instinct to BC. Putting 160 fox 36 at front and DHX2 at back. But i do not know which spring should i chose 425lbs or 450lbs?
    I weigh 190lbs/86kg.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Anyone running a 140mm 210-55mm Fox Factory DPX2 on their Instinct? I'm curious as to what settings you are running.

1- Volume Spacer size
    2- Custom tune?
    3- PSI
    4- Rebound clicks
    5- Compression clicks (from closed)
    6- Ride9 setting
    7- Your weight

Here is my setup:
    1- Smallest Volume spacer
    2- Off the shelf shock tune - DHHF I think is my code
    -2019, FLOAT DPX2, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj, Evol LV, FOX, AM, 210, 55, 0.2 Spacer, CM, DRM, Rezi A F M+
    3- 235psi
    4- LSR rebound - 1 click from open
    5- LSC compression (via 3mm key) - 5 clicks from closed
    6- Ride9 setting 3 or 5 - I cant recall which
    7- 180lbs without kit - I'm an average rider but not stuck to the ground by any means.

I'm running one and its great overall I'm just curious as to what others are doing as I'm not an expert in setup.

One thing I do notice is that when I setup/test the rebound settings and do the old "curb test" and couple of things happen...I'm wondering whats typical or not.

1- When I roll off a small curb slowly, in the fasted rebound setting (wide open), the bike goes through some travel and then never comes back up fast enough to "buck me" a little. It will oscillate (up and down) a bit.

I was under the impression that the rebound should be fast enough to come back quickly and "buck" me butt off the saddle slightly when dropping the curb. From their I'd dial the rebound back a bit. Is that not a great way to tune the LSR rebound? I saw Thomas Vanderham talk about how this bike likes faster rebound speeds.

The setup I have (based on Yeti's Shock guide) is working pretty well I think. At times I do think that the shock is going down into its travel a bit much on climbs that have some bumps etc. I see the travel band dip to around 60% travel on climbs that have a little undulating terrain and some rocks and roots. It has a fair amount of pop once I dialed the LSC up...that's pretty fun. So I dunno...any red flags here? It does seem like maybe I could use a larger .4 Spacer instead of the little .2 that I have now in there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    @svinyard

I do not think the lowspeed rebound will have the ability to buck you off your saddle. I think the point is that in a slow/slower rebound situation it should not overshoot and try to bring you back to your sag point. My guess is if you could mess with the HSR and crank that fully open, on a bigger curb you might get more of an overshoot.

But that's just my educated guess? I could be totally off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cmuell89 View Post
    @svinyard

I do not think the lowspeed rebound will have the ability to buck you off your saddle. I think the point is that in a slow/slower rebound situation it should not overshoot and try to bring you back to your sag point. My guess is if you could mess with the HSR and crank that fully open, on a bigger curb you might get more of an overshoot.

But that's just my educated guess? I could be totally off.
    Roger that, thanks...maybe I'll dial it back a bit.

What about the shock using approx 60% travel on flat ground, undulating terrain climbs? Is that considering wallowing into the travel or appropriate? I'm not like smashing climbs or anything. Not a huge amount of rocks or whatever either. I'm thinking I'd like to try the .4mm volume spacer to see if that perhaps changes things for the better?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fmendes View Post
    I don't know if this had happened to anyone else, but my rear triangle broke recently:

I had a bike shop to service it under warranty, no major issues. However I expected a decent price for upgrading to carbon. The LBS charged me $780 for the upgrade, including the discount of the aluminum parts to be warrantied. The difference between the C50 and C70 is ~1000 USD, and difference in build packages are the rear triangle, brakes and drivetrain (SLX level x XT level, sometimes Shimano, sometimes SRAM). I calculated the price of the replacement of the rear triangle in ~724 USD, not counting the discount for replacement.

Honestly I don't like much parts in cast aluminum in bikes, but may just be me. But a Slayer broke during test for Pinkbike, in the same region (also aluminum rear triangle):
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-...carbon-90.html

This is not to trash Rocky Mountain. The bike is still great, but I expected less for the upgrade. Emailed them directly about the price, but got no response in two weeks. And, of course, this post is to set historical data on failure of the rear triangle.

Quoting myself to keep track of the weird stuff that had happened to my bike. Maybe I bought a lemon, who knows.

So I had the seat stay broken as the previous post. Got a new replacement part from RM under warranty (no complaints here) in about 1-1/2 weeks. Got it replaced; my LBS charged USD70 for the service that I could have done myself, but seems that, in order to keep warranty, the LBS has to do it, or so I've been told.

About two weeks later, the shock (stock FOX DPS) broke as well. Fox also replaced under warranty, but this was weeks before the 1-year warranty of the shock had expired. If it breaks again, I need to pay for repair.

Then this week, while removing the bottle cage that I don't use, I saw this weird bump on frame, around one of the threaded inserts. The other one is flat. Is this common? I don't remember seeing this bump before. It seems as stiff as the rest of the frame, at least trying to press with my thumb.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Rocky Instinct?-20200628_123112.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I couldn't say. I think if you're pumping into the bike with a good amount of your weight, 60% doesnt seem crazy. Is it constant, or do you just sort of notice that its 60% after rolling along for a bit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    No pumping. It uses about 60% of travel when I casually, slow roll over a speed bump (not a thin abrupt one either). 240psi for my 180lbs with 5 clicks of LSC from closed. Sag is right about 16mm for the 210x55mm shock...so about 30%. I guess I could keep just jacking more air into it...maybe yank the spacers entirely too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I think removing spacers would not make you use less travel. Spacers control the progression / ramp-up and don't have as much effect on the initial stroke.

https://mrblackmorescorner.blogspot....-mountain.html

Notice the anti-squat and anti-rise curves of the Instinct. The anti-squat numbers are not huge for the 50 tooth ring, and are even flatter in the 10 tooth cog. This could mean pedaling in an intermediate gear and going through rollers and small bumps pushes more readily into the mid-stroke than ideal. Also notice that the anti-rise in the Rocky actually drops off fairly steeply after the sag point. So its possible in rollers, without enough LSC you're pushing through some of the travel before you get into the support provided by the ramp up curve and the fairly progressive linkage design. Maybe try keeping the spacers you have and shooting closer to 20-25 percent sag and a big more LSC? But if the rear feels good, gives good support and traction, and handles big hits without harsh bottom outs, sounds like its probably fine.

In truth, I'm no expert just going off my engineering / nerd background and arm-chair reading know-how. Btw, I reached out to you on PB about the Float X2 etc,. I'll let you know if that thing wallows like a sonnova-gun given how linear it is compared with your DPX2.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    No pumping. It uses about 60% of travel when I casually, slow roll over a speed bump (not a thin abrupt one either). 240psi for my 180lbs with 5 clicks of LSC from closed. Sag is right about 16mm for the 210x55mm shock...so about 30%. I guess I could keep just jacking more air into it...maybe yank the spacers entirely too.
    whats sort of riding do you do most and what sort of suspension feel are you after? sounds like a candidate for a larger volume spacer to me. My suggestion would be go up a volume spacer size, and unless you're mainly descending, try 27% sag.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    If a single speed bump is doing that to your suspension at slow speed, that sounds like too little LSC and maybe not enough air. Try 5-10 psi more and a little more lsc to resist slow compression in the first two thirds of the stroke.

Take my internet advice with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm riding a bit of everything aside from anything super gnarly. Adding more air might just be the ticket (I've heard removing the spacers could help it not be too harsh deeper into the travel and that they don't have much of an impact on the mid-stroke support).

Nevertheless, I also found an old PB article where Mike setup the DPX2 that I have (or close to). He is 160lbs and was running 220PSI on an active bike. I'm guessing its just PSI I need for now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Hello. I got a great deal on 2019 Instinct BC frame. I finished building it a couple weeks ago, and have been riding it almost everyday. So far, I love it!!
    2018 Rocky Instinct?-img_0901.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Foolish build super sharp

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Question to all Instinct BC owners - do you get full travel out of the rear?

I can literally huck to flat from a drop (1,7m) and I won‘t use more that 58mm of the 63mm stroke of the DPX2 shock.

Sag is set 35% as recommended by Rocky for the BC Edition.

Rear suspension feels great though I don‘t mind not using full travel. But I really wonder if anyone does use it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwulf View Post
    Question to all Instinct BC owners - do you get full travel out of the rear?

I can literally huck to flat from a drop (1,7m) and I won‘t use more that 58mm of the 63mm stroke of the DPX2 shock.

Sag is set 35% as recommended by Rocky for the BC Edition.

Rear suspension feels great though I don‘t mind not using full travel. But I really wonder if anyone does use it?
    I have the 140mm version with DPX2. I reached out to Avalanch to see what their perspective was. They said that the BC edition (and mine to an extent) has a really high leverage curve in the beginning and is super progressive in the end (based on their charts). He said that the bike was fairly ideal for a coil shock, but not necessarily an air shock and that they had some options that would work well.

I've had good results based on some feedback by another guy on here. I yanked the spacer entirely (the progressive suspension kind of has it built in a bit sorta) and then added some extra PSI. In theory this helps ease the progressiveness of the end stroke, boost the mid-stroke a bit (extra air) and is still soft off the top (horst link + high leverage suspension). So far its worked well, is pedaling better (was already good) and seems great over the chunder while having some for sure. I have the factory DPX2 with LSC adjuster.

Fwiw you should try out the settings from Yeti's shock guide for their SB140 bike. Its runs a DPX2 stock with zero spacers.

Right now my 210x55 is running 240psi (I'm 185lbs), LSC 5 clicks in from closed and the LSR rebound at 3 clicks from open (slightly faster than Yeti...I saw Thomas Vanderham say that the bike likes faster rebound).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Alpin ride !!!!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567