Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by clone185 View Post
    RaymondC - did your forks come with the orange decals already on? Were any other colours included? Did they come with the soft and firm springs?

After reading the Ribbon thread it sounds like some people had to order a firm or soft spring separately but in New Zealand it seems that they are included, well thatís what it looks like after checking the Evo cycles website.

By the way what size frame do you have?
    They came with the med spring installed and the soft and firm included and with the orange stickers. My frame is large. They should all come with 3 springs, only the extra soft and extra firm don't come with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How necessary are these chain guides if the chainring is essentially narrow-wide? or am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    Picked up a 2019 C70 in blue today. Spent most of the day tuning the suspension with Shockwiz. What was intersting was the Fox suggestions for the DPS shock were very close, if not perfect in terms of air/rebound. The Float Performance Elite was a very different story. It didnt surprise me that the air was lower. I think Fox recommended was 72psi and I ended up with 60psi with Shockwiz. But the rebound setting on the Fox charts associated with 60psi was WAY different to Shockwiz's finding. Fox wanted 8 clicks out from fully slow. Shockwiz was happy with 1 click out, and I suspect I could go 2 clicks out for different trails. But thats a big difference. Maybe my fork is 'special' !?
    Which shock wiz riding style were you using?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroCO View Post
    Which shock wiz riding style were you using?
    Softest and active

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Alas, my frame has arrived.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Rocky Instinct?-rm-frame.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Congrates Dangling...

Just curious: what bikes/frames were recent (past 6 mo.) Instinct owners cross shopping?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspagat View Post
    Congrates Dangling...

Just curious: what bikes/frames were recent (past 6 mo.) Instinct owners cross shopping?
    I've been riding a 2015 Trek Remedy 9.9 29'er up until beginning of September when a crash compromised the top tube. I would've pro-dealed a 2019 Slash if it weren't for the straight shot and knock block, so I pro-dealed an RM Instict BC instead. I'm hoping I dig it, can't wait for the rest of my parts to start trickling in (fork is here tomorrow).

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Was cross shopping the new Stumpjumper, Knolly Fujitive, before settling on the Instinct.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How necessary are these chain guides if the chainring is essentially narrow-wide? or am I missing something?
    "necessary" I would say. I have ridden other bikes without changuide, lost the chain once or twice, in quite techy terrain...not ews-enduro-type speeds though :-)

When it came on the Instinct, I left it on there. Weighs about nothing, and is extra assurance chain stays on.

My only gripe with it is when taking off the cranks. It is a bit of a pain to have to undo the chainguide just to get the cranks off... small pain, but still a pain.
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Rocky Mountain Instinct C90 BC 2019

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Fair enough. It's just so noisy, clanking as it hits the top of it. Maybe it could feed some felt in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
    "necessary" I would say. I have ridden other bikes without changuide, lost the chain once or twice, in quite techy terrain...not ews-enduro-type speeds though :-)

When it came on the Instinct, I left it on there. Weighs about nothing, and is extra assurance chain stays on.

My only gripe with it is when taking off the cranks. It is a bit of a pain to have to undo the chainguide just to get the cranks off... small pain, but still a pain.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmm, never thought about noise in it, to be honest, except the odd chain rubbing on it in highest or lowest gear, but it isn't too hard to adjust right.

Has it been spaced correctly for you chainrightsize? Could that be part of it?
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I gather so, 32t and they used 2 small black spacers to raise the spirit guide which I'm told is correct
    Hmm, never thought about noise in it, to be honest, except the odd chain rubbing on it in highest or lowest gear, but it isn't too hard to adjust right.

Has it been spaced correctly for you chainrightsize? Could that be part of it?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just remove, see if it works fine for you. If you loose you chain, set it back on.
    As I said, I rode it for probably 2 years on my old stumpy with no device, and older style narrow-wide ring, worked fine, for me.
    You'll even save a few grams
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RX93 View Post
    Was cross shopping the new Stumpjumper, Knolly Fujitive, before settling on the Instinct.

I was looking at the Knolly Fugitive too, but not in carbon yet...

I'm pretty set on the C70 Instinct. But also looking at:

Devinci Troy (Split-Pivot)

Intense Primer (VPP)

All very different bikes and good at different things.

Anyone got any others?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I was looking at the Knolly Fugitive too, but not in carbon yet...

I'm pretty set on the C70 Instinct. But also looking at:

Devinci Troy (Split-Pivot)

Intense Primer (VPP)

All very different bikes and good at different things.

Anyone got any others?
    Their are some nice, new Carbon options that weren't there a year ago when I bought.

-The new full carbon 29er Troy looks VERY nice. Its a bit heavier tho. I have zero issues with my BB but there is something a bit nicer about threaded. In XL (my size) their is a touch more reach (like 4mm) but the wheelbase is 10mm longer (I don't like).

-Evil Offering seems to get a lot of press/hype. I'm not an Evil fan (as a tall guy the following sucked) but they cloned the Transition Smuggler geo (which is nice for tall guys mostly) so I'd def want to demo it. Maybe its a blast...tho I don't like the way they pedal up and they don't pay the premium for factory tolerances like Pivot does I'm guessing. Lots creaking there with a zillion bolts. Heavy bikes too. Still it could be a blast.

-Switchblade is a sweet bike and I'm expecting an update this April.

-Something tells me the Stumpy was a little over-hyped but I didn't ride it.

-Should be a new SC Hightower with the extra reach as well.

-New Yeti SB130 is probably an amazing bike and should def be demo'd

-Norco Sight 29 should def be demo'd. It's heavier tho.

(I REALLY like how light my XL 29er Instinct is...29lbs even with Fox 36/DPX2). My buddies XX1 Switchblade with DPS is noticeably heavier. For a mid-travel bike that costs a fortune...why not have the best of all worlds and get it light AND functional. Instinct is good for that.

-Intense has ugly colors and the HTA is steep by todays standards. Frame is pretty heavy too (6lbs without a shock??). I've heard its a great bike tho, so take that for what it's worth but I'd pass on it. I'd want more than 130mm of travel.

Of course I'm bias as I'm rolling a ridiculously nice X01 Instinct with 140mm DPX2/ 150mm Fox36 Grip2, carbons hoops with DT240's, 2.4/2.5 minions and anything else fancy... and can't imagine any of these being much better than that.

My demo card would be these tho: Instinct 140mm, Yeti SB130, Troy 29er, Offering, Ripmo (its a bigger bike than I want but Ibis did well here and DWLink is the best).

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks svinyard,

Yea, forgot to list the SB130. Seems like a lively bike with some chops...

Pivot's DW link is too good... their 29ers are so glued to the ground. Too heavy feeling..., even the Trail 429.

The Intense Primer is due for an update, and yea... the current geo is not exactly what I'm looking for.

I've been demo'ing a stock C70 Instinct and and Troy. The Instinct is a fun fast bike for having 140mm. It has a XC feel.

The Troy is better at climbing big rocks, as we have in New England, but its just not as fast and poppy as the RM...

I want both...

Jii
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Congrates Dangling...

Since I ordered mine in march a lot of now available bikes weren't on my list. At the time I was also looking at the Norco Sight and the SC Hightower, but I can't say I seriously considered getting either over the RM. The Bird Aeris AM9 was also a very interesting option, but I was hankering for a carbon frame.

In the time between ordering and finally getting the Instinct I did pay a lot of attention to new releases in the same class of bikes, and if I had a shortlist now it would be the Stumpy, the Offering and the Yeti SB130. Maybe the Propain Hugene too, but very few reviews available on it sadly. Wouldn't spit the Norco Sight in the face either, but it wouldn't be my first pick in the litter. Don't know why but the Troy seems too burly in comparison to the others (probably all in my head). If considering alloy, the Bird Aeris AM9 is an amazing bike - a bit burlier though but super nice to ride. I would probably give the Pivot Trail429 a chance as well, even though it's probably not quite as capable as the Instinct on rougher stuff (again, probably only in my head).

Very happy still with my Instinct and it feels like it hits exactly the spot that I wanted from my bike. Absolutely smashes it on the trails and I've raced two enduro races on it as well so it can definitely dabble into that territory with relative ease. Coming from a full on enduro/bike park rig it just is so much better as a do it all-bike for me, even though I'm fully aware that I have to pick my lines a bit more carefully when the going gets steep and rocky.

Funny thing is, the ride9-chip was one of the main reasons I picked the Instinct but I haven't touched it since the ride feels so balanced in the neutral position. Was a bit worried about the fork's stiffness too but it's been really good.

Anyway, the terrain I ride makes me kind of biased towards the lighter spectrum of the mid-travel wagon wheelers, not much of the good old gnar over here. Mostly natural trails with lots of roots and rocks, manicured trails are literally non existent.
    Last edited by Jii; 10-09-2018 at 12:41 AM.
    RM Instinct C70 2019
    Trek Emonda SL8
    Trek Crockett disc
    Pelago Hanko

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    2018 Rocky Instinct?-20181009_151458.jpgAlmost there. Still waiting on cranks, bb, pedals and dropper and then going to trim brake lines and probably put some heat shrink tubing to tidy up the front end.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181009_151458.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	1220011Almost there. Still waiting on cranks, bb, pedals and dropper and then going to trim brake lines and probably put some heat shrink tubing to tidy up the front end.
    Lovely!!!

What stem and tires are these?

Here is my Instinct BC....

with new Hope Pro 4 hubs & China carbon rims

Plan is to swap rear tire to new 2019 Hans Dampf Addix Soft and switch front brake from Formula Cura to Formula Cura 4. Parts are already here....just need take my time to do it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwulf View Post
    Lovely!!!

What stem and tires are these?

Here is my Instinct BC....

with new Hope Pro 4 hubs & China carbon rims

Plan is to swap rear tire to new 2019 Hans Dampf Addix Soft and switch front brake from Formula Cura to Formula Cura 4. Parts are already here....just need take my time to do it.
    Thanks mrwulf, them stem is anvl swage stem, the wheels are Bontrager Line Pro and the tires are Bontrager SE4 in a 2.6 width.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks mrwulf, them stem is anvl swage stem, the wheels are Bontrager Line Pro and the tires are Bontrager SE4 in a 2.6 width.
    I have another friend who is recommending the se4's. I'm really enjoying the instinct so far. I have tried the #3 setting and the 5. I kinda like the 3 better. But had to really focus to avoid pedal strikes. So I have considered maybe some 2.6's, or a budget 150 fork, maybe 170 cranks.. I scratched a Cornia this morning with a contact and have a couple of days for tinkering.. What are any of you guys running budget fork?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Don't get a budget fork... Get cheap 170 cranks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Upgrading to a kickass lyric or 36 is pretty awesome but if you are just trying to be rid of some pedal strikes there are a few easy things. First, check your shock sag etc and maybe add a volume spacer. It might help you ride higher. Check rebound too. You can also swap to some very skinny pedals. I'm running Diety blade runners and they are super dope until they pull flesh out of my leg.

Easiest solution tho... just throw in the dang headset cup! It's designed to be used with pipeline to raise the BB appropriately. Your deal can hook you up. Easy button.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Upgrading to a kickass lyric or 36 is pretty awesome but if you are just trying to be rid of some pedal strikes there are a few easy things. First, check your shock sag etc and maybe add a volume spacer. It might help you ride higher. Check rebound too. You can also swap to some very skinny pedals. I'm running Diety blade runners and they are super dope until they pull flesh out of my leg.

Easiest solution tho... just throw in the dang headset cup! It's designed to be used with pipeline to raise the BB appropriately. Your deal can hook you up. Easy button.
    Awesome and yes emailed this morning about the lower headset cup. That should handle the problem.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    2018 Rocky Instinct?-20181015_184758.jpg2018 Rocky Instinct?-20181015_184729.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Has anyone ridden an XL Instinct and also some of these new-geo-long-reach bikes like SB130/SB150/Ripmo/Offering/Mega?

I'm just curious what the tall guys think of the new geo. Part of me sometimes wonders if the steep HTA and long reach stuff is that big of a deal vs the more contemporary Instinct for a non-Enduro bro. I like the sound of it on paper, tho I also worry about the extra length these new bikes have in XL.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have an XL instinct, coming from a slightly overforked XXL Turner Spot. Love the new geo for climbing - no more fighting to keep the front wheel down. The bike is big but I only notice when loading it into and out of my basement. Haven't ridden any other new school geo bikes, so can't compare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice looking set up there danglingmanhood, I have just dropped a deposit on a new 2019 instinct C70, after a demo on C50, I'm coming off a 2015 Trek remedy 27.5 & the best way I can describe the Instinct is Its like riding my Remedy with 29 inch wheels only lighter & faster & So much fun...Ö But im looking at putting some carbon wheels on it & wondering how your line pros are on your Rocky ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Name:	20181009_151458.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	1220011Almost there. Still waiting on cranks, bb, pedals and dropper and then going to trim brake lines and probably put some heat shrink tubing to tidy up the front end.
    Nice looking set up there danglingmanhood, I have just dropped a deposit on a new 2019 instinct C70, after a demo on C50, I'm coming off a 2015 Trek remedy 27.5 & the best way I can describe the Instinct is Its like riding my Remedy with 29 inch wheels only lighter & faster & So much fun...Ö But im looking at putting some carbon wheels on it & wondering how your line pros are on your Rocky ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Would love to know the approx wheelset weight of these 2019 C70's. Bloody hard to find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aforestfan View Post
    I took my Instinct out for it's maiden voyage yesterday, was impressed with how well the BC climbed. The two main things I took away from the Line Pro wheels were the super fast engagement and the stiffness (especially coming from the Sram Roam 40 on my Remedy 9.9 29er). Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So im on 2019 C70 and even with lowish air pressure in the fork I'm measuring a tad greater than 150mm of exposed stanchion. Interesting for a supposedly 140mm bikey.

The FOX code is CLJC which correctly comes up as a 140mm 29er. Maybe there's a trick to how you measure the stanchion!?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    So im on 2019 C70 and even with lowish air pressure in the fork I'm measuring a tad greater than 150mm of exposed stanchion. Interesting for a supposedly 140mm bikey.

The FOX code is CLJC which correctly comes up as a 140mm 29er. Maybe there's a trick to how you measure the stanchion!?
    You fork is fine, there is a hard stop at 140mm. Exposed stantion does not equal usable travel. If you want to see it, air your fork all the way down (slowly). Just make sure you know how to air it up correctly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    You fork is fine, there is a hard stop at 140mm. Exposed stantion does not equal usable travel. If you want to see it, air your fork all the way down (slowly). Just make sure you know how to air it up correctly.
    good to hear, thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Got my BC built up. Now I gotta ride it.

Frame Rocky Mountain Instinct BC Edition Size L
    Fork: Fox 36 Float EVOL 3 pos GRIP Performance 160mm
    Shock: Fox Float DPX2 EVOL Factory 216x63 155mm
    Headset: Cane Creek ZS44/ZS56
    Stem: Easton Haven 55mm
    Handlebar: Chromag Furbars OSX 780mm 31.8mm 25mm rise
    Grips: Race Face Lock On
    Brakes: Shimano XT RT86 203mm front / RT86 180mm rear
    Brake Levers: Shimano XT
    Shifter: Shimano XT
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT
    Cranks & Chainrings: Shimano SLX M7000 175mm 30T
    Bottom Bracket: Wheels Mfg Thread together Angular Contact Bearings
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11-46
    Chain: KMC 11speed
    Front Hub: DT Swiss 350 Boost 15mm
    Rear Hub: DT Swiss 350 Boost 148mm
    Spokes: DT Swiss Champion Double Butted brass nipples
    Rims: DT Swiss XM 481 32h
    Tires: Maxxis Minion DHF 29 x 2.5 / Maxxis Aggressor 29 x 2.3
    Seatpost: X-Fusion Maniac 150mm x 30.9mm
    Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster
    Pedals: Chromag Contact
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Rocky Instinct?-lg-instinct.jpg  

Last edited by G-Ryder; 10-29-2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: add photo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I changed my tyres on my C70. Felt they were lethal. Went to Maxxis Ardent 2.4 / Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35. Grip up front and awesome rolling resistance in the rear. Feels amazing

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I changed my tyres on my C70. Felt they were lethal. Went to Maxxis Ardent 2.4 / Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35. Grip up front and awesome rolling resistance in the rear. Feels amazing
    nothing says lethal like an Ardent . What did you have on their before and what wasn't working? I'm running 2.4/2.5 DHR2/DHF 3c so more on the burly side tho I enjoy the bit of confidence as I'm not a great rider and don't mind the extra effort pedaling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Ryder View Post

Cranks & Chainrings: Shimano SLX M7000 175mm 32T

Trying to upload a photo but it keeps showing up upside down? WTF?
    Sounds like a nice build, show her off!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Has anyone tried 29x2.6Ē on the current generation instinct? Iím thinking of trying a Schwalbe Hans Damphf 29x2.6 front and Nobby Nic 29x2.6 rear soon but would love to hear thoughts on frame clearance first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by abomofo View Post
    Has anyone tried 29x2.6Ē on the current generation instinct? Iím thinking of trying a Schwalbe Hans Damphf 29x2.6 front and Nobby Nic 29x2.6 rear soon but would love to hear thoughts on frame clearance first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Currently running Bontrager SE4 2.6 on my Instinct and I have no issues with clearance. 2018 Rocky Instinct?-instinct-sf.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I run a specialized Butcher2.6 up front and purgatory 2.6 on back. Specialized 2.6 is a bit generous. I'd call it more 2.4-2.5.

I have a weird frankenbike setup though. MRP Ribbon up front at 150mm, Cane Creek DB IL coil in back. Coil takes this bike to another level. I'm thinking I need to try converting the fork to coil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post
    I run a specialized Butcher2.6 up front and purgatory 2.6 on back. Specialized 2.6 is a bit generous. I'd call it more 2.4-2.5.

I have a weird frankenbike setup though. MRP Ribbon up front at 150mm, Cane Creek DB IL coil in back. Coil takes this bike to another level. I'm thinking I need to try converting the fork to coil.
    Oooh, a 140mm coil out back? Can you describe how it's improved? I like how sporty the bike is with the dpx2 I have at 140mm (150mm fox 36 Grip2 up front)... but coil is interesting!

BTW, which ride9 are you in with your 150mm fork? I am in position 3, but may go back to neutral. I'm on an XL. I also have 30mm of spacers and 35mm riser bars on it (I'm 6-4).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sounds like a nice build, show her off!
    Finally got a photo posted.
    Last edited by G-Ryder; 10-29-2018 at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I replaced my Fox 34 fork with a new RockShox 160mm Lyrik, itís made a huge improvement. I was a little concerned about the geometry but having it in position 4 seems to be working fine. Climbing feels good and descending is so much better. Iíve got a second hand 8.5x2.5 Fox Float X shock to try but Iím happy enough with the current set up Iím in no hurry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    2019 C70 (small).

Changes:

Tyres: Maxxis Ardent 2.4 / Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35
    Handlebar: ENVE RSR 760mm
    Stem: 50mm Thomson Elite X4
    Grips: ESI Extra Chunky

Also removed both factory tokens from fork.

13kg with XT pedals

2018 Rocky Instinct?-20181013_150442_tonemapped_filtered_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Ryder View Post

Cranks & Chainrings: Shimano SLX M7000 175mm 30T
    Sweet!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Any of you with the stock fox shock on regular instinct have any issue with the rebound knob not clicking when turning from fully closed or fully open? Mine acts as if the ball bearing is not fitted tightly between the pieces. I have not taken apart yet. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Contact your dealer. Sounds like the detents have failed.
    Director of Product - MTB
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Whatís the max tire to size that can fit on the instinct bc edition. Also anyone know the weight of this bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Anybody invisframe / or tape the whole frame? Anyone tried matte on the blue/black gloss frame and how would that look? Not sure if to just leave it or put protection on, if the matte might look awesome / shite ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeah tape it for sure. It's an off road sports car. No reason not too. I have every inch and bit taped with 12mil or 8mil. I also have covered the carnage areas with mastic tape.

Everything wipes off easily and it has saved my bike a bunch of times from stupid stuff like bad racks, lift racks, my kids etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambam720 View Post
    Whatís the max tire to size that can fit on the instinct bc edition. Also anyone know the weight of this bike?
    Can fit DHRII 2.4WT in the rear. Stock weight is right under or at 30lbs for a large with meaty tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambam720 View Post
    Rocky says 29x2.6Ē tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anyone try a shorter offset fork in the low 40s range on the Instinct? Any impressions? I'm thinking of getting a Lyrik at 160mm, short offset.

Also, anyone try an angle headset to make it a little slacker? I haven't really had any trouble with the stock geo but I'd be interested in trying another degree slacker if it makes the bike even more idiotproof on the steeps without any handling downsides

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroCO View Post
    Can fit DHRII 2.4WT in the rear. Stock weight is right under or at 30lbs for a large with meaty tires.
    30lbs without pedals?

My Large has "stock" setup, except Fabric seat with carbon rails, XT Trail pedals and CaneCreek Helm fork, and running tubeless, stock tires.

13.9kg/30,6lb
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    30lbs without pedals?

My Large has "stock" setup, except Fabric seat with carbon rails, XT Trail pedals and CaneCreek Helm fork, and running tubeless, stock tires.

13.9kg/30,6lb
    Hmmm. I stand corrected!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Can you add a little bit about the cane creek coil? I have basically just switched to the bars and grips I run all the time and I love to tinker and improve. But the bike just performs flawlessly. I have thought about a coil shock tho..

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    his, left, hers, right.

we're loving our new family members. bikes are mostly stock. the instinct bc is a total beast down chunky stuff.

2018 Rocky Instinct?-bikez.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Straydawg View Post
    Any of you with the stock fox shock on regular instinct have any issue with the rebound knob not clicking when turning from fully closed or fully open? Mine acts as if the ball bearing is not fitted tightly between the pieces. I have not taken apart yet. Any suggestions?
    Yeah mine does this from fully open...also, the lever goes from open to firm every ride on its own as well...I just taped it to open to solve that problem, but the rebound is something Iíd like to get fixed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mine doesn't click on every turn. It's quite annoying
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridingandsmiling View Post
    Yeah mine does this from fully open...also, the lever goes from open to firm every ride on its own as well...I just taped it to open to solve that problem, but the rebound is something Iíd like to get fixed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    For those on Float X2, what pressure are you running and how much do you weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB-PM View Post
    Contact your dealer. Sounds like the detents have failed.
    Thanks, I purchased the bike from L9 sports as a store managers demo. Possibly ridden twice. Honestly could not tell it had been rolled outside. I'm waiting to hear back from them. I also am waiting to hear back from Fox on if it will be warrantied.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skileh View Post
    For those on Float X2, what pressure are you running and how much do you weight?
    on BC edition: 168psi for 75kg (all inclusive...) sag 22mm (35%)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

ready to fight

Ready for the battle!!!

2018 Rocky Instinct?-rm-instinct.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by guapo73 View Post
    Ready for the battle!!!

Name:	RM instinct.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	1226940
    Nice. I'm thinking of BCing my 140 instinct with an X2. How do you like it.

I'd like to know how much clearance there is between the tire and seat post when fully compressed? I'm using 2.3 tires so I'm thinking if there is enough room I maybe able to use an offset bush at the front of the shock to get it a little more slack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RaymondC View Post

I'd like to know how much clearance there is between the tire and seat post when fully compressed? I'm using 2.3 tires so I'm thinking if there is enough room I maybe able to use an offset bush at the front of the shock to get it a little more slack.
    frame size? can u get a bottle in without piggy-back rubbing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaymondC View Post

Hi Raymond,
    I have a Fox dpx2 off of my BC frame if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i prefer X2 vs stock DPX2: more consistent on rough terrain. For the clearance of the rear tire @ bottom out, i will take a pic asap for your reference. This frame is M

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by guapo73 View Post
    i prefer X2 vs stock DPX2: more consistent on rough terrain. For the clearance of the rear tire @ bottom out, i will take a pic asap for your reference. This frame is M
    anybody try putting in a 7.875x2.25 shock

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hjb117 View Post
    anybody try putting in a 7.875x2.25 shock

Not sure it would work that well with the eye to eye being 200mm, that's 10mm less that stock on the 140 instinct.
    A 216x63 would be the max and then if you wanted it slacker but with the cost of less travel you could put a stroke limiting shim in the shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Straydawg View Post
    Can you add a little bit about the cane creek coil? I have basically just switched to the bars and grips I run all the time and I love to tinker and improve. But the bike just performs flawlessly. I have thought about a coil shock tho..
    Its great. The climb switch really feels like it makes a difference on the climbs. And downhill its so smooth. just removes any stiction at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Its great. The climb switch really feels like it makes a difference on the climbs. And downhill its so smooth. just removes any stiction at all.
    Thanks! I talked to a friend at Cane creek and one if their guys in NC rides a standard Instinct. For now I went with the inline air as I'm moving to Durango next week and know I will have a lot of climbing to earn the downs. Plus the coil is on black order.. But I think I will get a coil in April possibly..

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910