2018 Instinct SIZING- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

2018 Instinct SIZING

I posted this on the massive Instinct thread but it's at the end and I'd like to consolidate some opinions on sizing. So, I'm moving my post here.

All this talk on sizing had me confused. So, just for comparison sake...
    I am currently on a 2015 Instinct BC edition size XL. Previously I always rode LG bikes. RM's site lets you still look up previous years bike stats (good on ya' RM) so I pulled them both up to compare. There's no way to change the R9 setting in the 2015 version's table, so I assume they are showing it in neutral. I ride mine 1 setting up from full slack.
    The 2018 (non BC) Lg and my 2015 XL have an identical Top Tube Length and the Reach is close. Even though the Stack is about the same, the Standover Height is actually about 3" higher on the 2018 which makes my bollocks a bit nervous.
    So, it looks like the Lg in the 2018 would be right for my 6'2", 190 lb (kitted), 33" inseam self if I want it to fit the same.
    Those who are riding them already,what are your specs and what size did you get?
    I've never bought the same model of bike back-to-back but might be making an exception here.

2018 Instinct SIZING-bike-comp.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm 5'10" with 33 inseam. I ride a large Instinct and felt ok on a XL. I do like bigger bikes but these seem short compared the the Santa Cruz I came from. XL reach was a little too much for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I agree that the standover height looks worrysome but I'm hoping they are measuring from a different spot than some other manufacturers.

Are there any shorter riders that can describe their fit on a 2018 Instinct? I'll have a chance to ride one at a demo day this spring but at first glance, the fit numbers don't look great for someone of my dimensions. The listed standover height is several inches higher than on my 2014 Altitude and on some of the other bikes I'm considering like an Evil The Following or a SC Hightower. I'm 5'6" have a 29" inseam and I'm concerned I won't even be able to stand on my toes over the top tube.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I'm 5'10", 32" inseam and according to RM should be on a medium Instinct. I hoped on a large Instinct in the shop and reach felt better but the post was inserted as far as it would go.

Wasn't a proper ride so can't say for certain if the fit was good or not. Initial thought is "probably" fits but with the ST length I'm still not 100% convinced it's a great fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by teartags View Post
    ...the Standover Height is actually about 3" higher on the 2018 which makes my bollocks a bit nervous.
    So, it looks like the Lg in the 2018 would be right for my 6'2", 190 lb (kitted), 33" inseam...
    We changed the way we measure standover now. Like most other manufacturers, we used to measure at the lowest point along the top tube. For 2018, starting with the Altitude, we changed to a new, more accurate way, of representing standover on our frames. We measure 200mm forward of the BB center which is the average standover position. No one actually stands over their bike at the seat tube / top tube junction....so most STH numbers listed on geo charts are inaccurate.

Our new Instinct (140mm version) has roughly 20mm lower standover than the 2016 model, 200mm forward of the BB. So rest assured your beans will be safe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB-PM2 View Post
    We changed the way we measure standover now. Like most other manufacturers, we used to measure at the lowest point along the top tube. For 2018, starting with the Altitude, we changed to a new, more accurate way, of representing standover on our frames. We measure 200mm forward of the BB center which is the average standover position. No one actually stands over their bike at the seat tube / top tube junction....so most STH numbers listed on geo charts are inaccurate.

Our new Instinct (140mm version) has roughly 20mm lower standover than the 2016 model, 200mm forward of the BB. So rest assured your beans will be safe.
    That's good to hear. Looking forward to demoing one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Large. 5'9" 31" inseam.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    OP here - FWIW, I pedaled a large pipeline and an XL Instinct and the XL definitely felt "righter" to me. Again, I'm coming from the old XL Instinct.
    Another stat that I neglected to mention in my original post is that I have a high Ape Factor. My wingspan is about 3" longer than my height.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by teartags View Post
    OP here - FWIW, I pedaled a large pipeline and an XL Instinct and the XL definitely felt "righter" to me. Again, I'm coming from the old XL Instinct.
    Another stat that I neglected to mention in my original post is that I have a high Ape Factor. My wingspan is about 3" longer than my height.
    Iím the same as you. I test rode both a medium and a large in the carpark and went with the large. Iím 5í10.

When I have it in the neutral position the seat post is all the way down but Iím now running it in the second most slackest position and I prefer to have the seat up an extra 5mm. I guess in my head thatís to compensate for the dropped bottom bracket so that the seat height feels the same in relation to the handlebar height.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clone185 View Post
    Iím the same as you. I test rode both a medium and a large in the carpark and went with the large. Iím 5í10.

When I have it in the neutral position the seat post is all the way down but Iím now running it in the second most slackest position and I prefer to have the seat up an extra 5mm. I guess in my head thatís to compensate for the dropped bottom bracket so that the seat height feels the same in relation to the handlebar height.
    5-9 with 30" inseam (i know short legs). Large felt ok lengthwise but had to slam the seatpost to get it to work and even then was a bit of a pinch stanoverwise in the shop. This was with the BC edition, not sure if the regular instinct in low mode would be ok.

mtbr member
    I've just put hand on a XL.
    I'M 6-3, 36 inseam and it looks very, very short cockpit. Just hope that I'll not regret it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Iím 5í 8.5Ē with about a 31Ē inseam. I tried both the large and medium before purchase. The RM van demo fellas summed it up with two questions that helped me decide.

1.) How much descending do you do? (Valid because 95% of my riding is around Houston and east Texas.) - more descents = larger bike for more stability.
    2.) If you come up on an obstacle, are your more inclined to pop the bike over it or thru it? - thru it = bigger bike, pop over = smaller

The large was good but something felt off for me. I landed on a medium and very happy I did!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    I am 6'1" and rode an XL Element this weekend (the Instinct was not available), and I was surprised that it felt pretty huge to me.

I am new to 29ers but I also rode an XL Evil Offering and they felt about the same size wise.

I was expecting the Rocky to fit perfect (based on their charts) and the Evil to be too big but they both felt like boats to me.

https://www.bikes.com/sites/default/...Chart_v1_4.pdf

I guess I will need to check out the Large.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    My RM Element will arrive in a few days...Iím 6í0 and opted for the large. I compared the various measurements to my large carbon hardtail, Yeti SB100 Spesh Epic and several other XC bikes. Seems like the Element in size large matches the other XC bikes...especially the Yeti SB100. The Element XL seems like a massive bike, especially the wheelbase, so I opted for the Large. Iíll give a follow up report.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyregionaljets View Post
    My RM Element will arrive in a few days...Iím 6í0 and opted for the large. I compared the various measurements to my large carbon hardtail, Yeti SB100 Spesh Epic and several other XC bikes. Seems like the Element in size large matches the other XC bikes...especially the Yeti SB100. The Element XL seems like a massive bike, especially the wheelbase, so I opted for the Large. Iíll give a follow up report.
    Great thanks for the info, the "new geo" is very new to me so it might be a problem of perception.. but it would be good to hear some feedback from other 6'ers .

What is your inseam?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    35 inseam
    Iíve got short arms...I run a 70mm stem on my large Focus carbon hardtail. Meticulously compared reach, wheelbase etc to various other large XC bikes.
    The fact that youíre 6ft1inch and the XL Element felt huge supports my comparison analysis. 6ft1inch is usually the cutoff between L and XL. The few riders I know that are 6ft1inch always went with the large (easier to handle on technical trails, also a bit lighter in weight)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyregionaljets View Post
    35 inseam
    Iíve got short arms...I run a 70mm stem on my large Focus carbon hardtail. Meticulously compared reach, wheelbase etc to various other large XC bikes.
    The fact that youíre 6ft1inch and the XL Element felt huge supports my comparison analysis. 6ft1inch is usually the cutoff between L and XL. The few riders I know that are 6ft1inch always went with the large (easier to handle on technical trails, also a bit lighter in weight)
    I am glad to hear that.

Being new to the 29" geos, I want to be very thorough in my size selection. Seeing a lot of people choose XL at 5'10" was bugging me. A lot of people calling the cockpit "cramped" etc. when the XL felt like a floating fortress to me.

Also the sizing chart cuts off size large at 6'0" which was really bugging me. The last thing I want to do is spend 5k+ on a bike to find out it is too small, once I have adjusted to the geo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Took my new Element Carbon 70 on its maiden voyage. Large size is perfect. Had my mechanic adjust the dropper about 1/2 inch upwards from the stop. This bike is "all business" indeed. I've been riding a carbon hardtail for 2 years...this is my first FS bike. Strava results were great. The cornering ability is insane..Fox34 120 travel...feels like a snake. I have relearn how to ride the trails. The bike wants to go downhill on the drops fast...energy management is critical. On the hardtail, I would just hammer...the Element is so efficient, sometimes I felt the bike was riding me. I felt like I was riding the GOT Red Dragon :-) Element greatly exceeds all my expectations! The graphics/paint on the bike is gorgeous...and I never use that word!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    RM Element's biggest strength...it eats up rock gardens like pac man!