mtbr member
    Jan 2014

2016 Thunderbolt Rear Shock Options

So I have had rock shox replace two monarch rt-3 rear shox on my 2016 tooltip BBC edition in the last two months, and it has got me thinking about looking at other options.

first time I have ever looked at rear shocks and good grief are they expensive, and there seem to be a myriad of options.

other than eye to eye measurement, what else do I need to think of? Has anyone rneplaced the shock on a tbolt? If so, what did you go with?
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

ups and downs
    You need to consider the compression and rebound damping, the air sleeve volume and the DPS valving if it's a Fox. Also remote or no remote. If you order it new for the T-bolt, Fox has all the correct tuning info.

The Fox Float DPS shock completely changes the way the T-bolt rides compared to the older Float CTD. Not sure what the difference will be between the Float DPS and the Monarch, but the Fox DPS rear is a winner.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

chips & bier
    What kind of trails do you ride? I just removed the remote lever and added a Vorsprung air can to my Fox CTD shock. Love it this way. If things got any rougher (few big hits, just lots and lots of roots and smaller rocks out here) I'd go Float X. It has a bigger oil volume & slightly better flow, I think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^ my t-bolt (BBC edition) came with a rs monarch rt-3 ( no remote).

After going thru two monarch's now, I wonder if it is the wrong shock for me. I ride in around Calgary, ab - so it s a bit of a mix of somewhat smooth single track, with some roots and what not thrown in. Nothing to "gnarly", and I am not the kind of rider that goes for big drops. That being said I weigh about 270, so I likely test my gear riding normally

if this shock dies, I'll make the move To a fox shock, or look more at my opTions. I have a bike trip planned in late July to revelstoke, and I want to ride my bike on the trip.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

ups and downs
    The DPS is so well behaved that you may not want a remote anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I am ready to lose my mind - my lbs sent the shock back to rock shox to be fixed/replaced and rs sent it to a third party rebuilder because it was a rush.

My lbs receives the shock today and installs it. It get to the lbs they put some air in the shock, there is a loud pop, and now the shocks rebounds very slowly.

Lbs is going o call rs and see what can be done. Told my lbs that I was willing to pay difference between my shock and a different model.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

ups and downs
    The Monarch RT3 is only rated for a pressure of 275 psi max. What do you run for pressure at your usual shock set up?

The Fox Float DPS Non-EVOL air shocks have a maximum pressure of 300psi. EVOL air shocks have a maximum pressure of 350psi. That may be the deciding factor for which shock to buy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hhhmmm, interesting. I am sure the can says a max of 350 psi.

I weigh about 270, and run about 275 in there.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

ups and downs
    I found that limit noted in the service manual, maybe they have an updated air canister

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....ice_manual.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Thunderbolt Rear Shock Options-rt3-pressure.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Rode the bike today in Canmore. It was like riding hardtail.

Hopefully my lbs can get rock shox to hook me up with a new shock (at this point I would like to get one of those units with the extra air can - but would be very happy if they could get my shock back to how it was before it blew the first time as I thought it was diallled in). as this is getting very frustrating
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Any idea on where is a good resource to confirm the eye to eye measurement for the rear shock?

I found one website that suggests the 2015 BBC edition was 7.5 x 2. The bikes specs on the rm website are silent on this.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    Any idea on where is a good resource to confirm the eye to eye measurement for the rear shock?

I found one website that suggests the 2015 BBC edition was 7.5 x 2. The bikes specs on the rm website are silent on this.
    The T-bolt most definitely is that size

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Does anyone know if Fox will add an evol can to my 2016 rear fox shock and completely retune it so that it's exactly like the shocks that came with the higher end TBs? I've heard that if I just add the evol can myself that there won't be enough compression. Any thoughts?

ups and downs
    Here's a shot of the 2016 Float DPS with the CXTZ custom tune ID code, if you contact someone like Suspensionwerx about a custom tune for your weight, they may be able to make some tweaks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Thunderbolt Rear Shock Options-dscf9287.jpg  

ups and downs
    A Fox service and tuning shop like SuspensionWerx can do that kind of custom tune. There will be a a variety of valving, shims, and volume spacers associated with that kind of rebuild. It will likely cost 50% of what a new shock might cost.

Quote Originally Posted by nickd111 View Post
    Does anyone know if Fox will add an evol can to my 2016 rear fox shock and completely retune it so that it's exactly like the shocks that came with the higher end TBs? I've heard that if I just add the evol can myself that there won't be enough compression. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So my lbs was able to work with rock shox to secure me a new shock ( so the fox unit pictured above is not an option right now - Jason has that shock for around $600 Canadian, so a tune with suspensionwerx and I'd be looking at something close to $1,000 Canadian)

My lbs is trying to determine if a rock shox shock with an external can will fit.

I habve a bike trip to revelstoke planned in late July, so I hope that I have just had a run of bad luck and it will be all good after this, as it would be frustrating to have to go one the trip with a rental bike or a loaner bike.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So rock shox has agreed to replace my shock and I have three options:
    - go with another monarch rt-3
    - "upgrade" to a monarch plus for about $200
    - or wait until august and get the new shock that is on the new slayer

I am going with option 2. However, I have asked my lbs if they would consider swapping out a shock on the slayer -so we will see if I can make that happen. I keep going back to the same bike shop and have spent lots there.

.I will get a year warranty, so if the monarch plus dies, I will go with the new shock.

When the dust settles, I will buy the boys some beer.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Let us know what you think of the plus. I'd love to upgrade as well to improve the ride quality if possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So more plot twists today as for whatever reason the Canadian distributor of rock shox would not allow me to upgrade and pay the difference. But they will pay to have my shock tuned for me.

The rocky mtn rep has been able to secure me a cane creek db shock for $400. So I am going with that and will keep the retuned monarch for the future.

I would have went for the retune, but my bike would have been down for two weeks again. And the cane creek was a pretty hot deal as it is $600 ish right now on chain reaction.

I will be providing the boys at the lbs with a dozen beer when the dust settles
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My son has the cc inline on his bmc trailfox. Very plush and smooth ride. Hope this sorts it out for you and you can enjoy the bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    2016 Thunderbolt Rear Shock Options-img_0723.jpgMy new cane creek shock came into today and my lbs installed it, and man does it ever look sweet on my rig. I am hoping the weather co-operates this weekend and I can take it for a shakedown ride and then a trail ride
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Will it fit in most all of the Ride9 positions?

ups and downs
    Rocky has a shock compatibility chart that says the CC DB Air is OK, but the DB Inline has some restrictions on the Thunderbolt MSL frame
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rhale View Post
    Will it fit in most all of the Ride9 positions?
    My lbs says yes, and the shock was supplied via the rocky mtn rep.

Took my bike for the aiden voyage and liked the shock, although I am going tadjust everything by one click for more plushness
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Rocky has a shock compatibility chart that says the CC DB Air is OK, but the DB Inline has some restrictions on the Thunderbolt MSL frame
    Odd as the reply that I got today from cane creek. Said that they did not recommend any of they shocks for the thunderbolt.

ups and downs
    I think Rocky's fit chart just deals with physical mounting compatibility, I'm not sure that the guys who do the bike testing at Rocky have strongly recommended the CC products from a ride point of view, but they get lots of requests about mounting various shocks. It certainly would appear that Cane Creek doesn't believe they have a shock that is suitable.

2016 Thunderbolt Rear Shock Options-cane-creek-fit.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    been riding the cc db air cs for about two weeks now, and am enjoying. does not seem to bottom out as much as my rock shox did. according to my LBS they just installed it witht eh external can to the bottom and the attaching bridge piece towards the back of the bike.

obviously not as "clean" of a mount as other bikes.

my rock shox is being rebuilt, so i'll have a bullet in the chamber should I ever have a problem
    2015 Giant Fastroad

50's Rider
    Aug 2009
    Hi, I just built up a 2015 new/used TB 799 MSL frame which has the original Fox Float CTD with remote. It rides with very little pedal bob, but I'm not impressed with the Low Speed compression adjustability and/or the basic plushness of the ride. It's adequate, I weigh 185 suited up and I'm a XC/Trail rider. I'm moving from a Ibis HDR with a Cane Creek DB Inline shock. While I can't vouch for the durability of the CC shock (expensive rebuilds required), the ride is absolutely fantastic. I'm having one of my spare shocks rebuilt and changed from the 200x51 to the 190x51 size to fit the TB. I've already tried to fit the shock and it will work in the neutral/forward Ride9 positions. It barely rubs in the rear three positions but won't allow the suspension to fully extend. It took me a while to get the tune of the DB Inline right on my Ibis, but with some help over the phone from Cane Creek, I got it dialed, and I have to say it was the best shock I've ever ridden. There are four adjustments and you can separately adjust the compression and rebound for both low speed and high speed hits. It allows you to have the shock super supple for climbing and a bit more burly for the downhills. The shock combined with the ability to run lower pressures on a slightly wider carbon rim made the bike ride like a Cadillac. Looking forward to installing it on the TB to see how it feels.

50's Rider
    Aug 2009
    One more thing, the climb switch on the DB Inline is not just on/off. It allows you to customize the amount of low speed compression you want to add at any given time. The shock is a fantastic design. I hope they can work out the bugs so it lasts more than 6 months at a time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    When I contacted cane creek about using one of their shock they did not have one to recommend. So I went with a rock shock. After several emails with Rocky mountain they told me the parts that I needed to convert from a fox to rockshox. I even sent a follow-up email making sure that what I was about to order was all that I need. Well I ended up ordering the parts and when I went to mount it I did not have all the parts. So after a week of back-and-forth emails with Rocky Mountain I finally was told the additional parts I need but I had to go through a dealer which I understand but it's also frustrating. The Dealer has contacted Rocky Mountain several times and heard nothing in return. It's been over a week and almost 3 weeks in total. So the moral of the story is make sure you have all your parts and be prepared to wait if you have to order them
    Last edited by dtwilley02; 07-08-2017 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Mistyped

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That seems bizarre to me as my lbs told me they bolted the shock right in.

I receRly received my replacement monarch shock. I may consider selling it, but thought it might be nice to keep in case of emergency.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    That seems bizarre to me as my lbs told me they bolted the shock right in.

I receRly received my replacement monarch shock. I may consider selling it, but thought it might be nice to keep in case of emergency.
    Wow that is strange. I had to get reducers for the spacing on the second go and mounting hardware the first time. I took it to my local bike shop who is not a rocky dealer ( closest is 2 1/2 hours away ) and they agreed but I need additional parts

50's Rider
    Aug 2009
    Just had first ride with Cane Creek DB Inline shock on the 2015 Thunderbolt which I just built up. The frame came with the stock remote activated Fox CTD. I felt the Fox lacked small bump compliance and when I fiddled with the sag to get more, I started getting pedal strikes. The DB Inline is head and shoulders better than the Fox. I set it at 30% sag and played with the low speed compression to get it super supple. I kept thinking I was going to get a pedal strike, but the bike was riding high in its travel and I had no problems. The think I probably notice the most was how well the traction was improved both up some technical sections and high speed down. The rear wheel was glued. As far as fit, I bought 4 nylon washers from the hardware store to simulate the spacing of the HGUS spaces on the Fox. The washers were 1/16" thick by .503" ID by 3/4" OD. They worked perfectly. The shock will only fit however on the forward Ride9 settings. So far I love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The DPS is so well behaved that you may not want a remote anyway.
    Old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone with experience on both the CTD shock vs. either the Monarch or DPS can advise: I've read they're both superior to CTD, but specifically I'm looking to reduce pedal-bob when out of the saddle (in the Open/Descend mode. My trails are rolling quick ups-and-downs so I need one mode that works well. I have no interest the hassle of the remote, & so I've never even tried it in "Trail" mode.)

Would jerry-rigging the CTD clamped to Trail mode with maybe a touch less pressure offer a better platform vs. compliance compromise? Or is it a really major performance leap to get a Monarch or DPS?

I'm only 145 geared up, aggressive/ smooth-ish rider but not very chunky trails. The other factor that is more shock tune than anti-squat design, is that i appreciate "mid-stroke support" for pumping features.

*Related query - any good threads comparing current gen Intense Spider 275 to the Tbolt? Search feature not doing much.

Thanks for any experience!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I recently had to replace the CTD on my 2015 Element. I got a DPS without a remote. I used the remote a lot on the CTD and was worried about giving it up, but the DPS is so much more stable and supportive that I haven't felt the need to put it in the middle/trail setting at all. Dead stable pedaling in or out of the saddle, seems to ride a bit higher in the travel, and more composed through rough chatter as well. I got the factory, and the ability to dial in some extra LSC is definitely helpful. Not sure if the t-bolt would be exactly the same, but I'd guess that you'll get what you're looking for from the DPS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    That's great to hear! Did you get a DPS with the Element-specific tune? Thanks ARAZ!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I sent my busted CTD to Fox via my LBS. They couldn't fix it and gave me a good price on the DPS as a replacement, so I assume the tune is specified for the Element. I was pretty surprised at how much of a difference it made -- my cravings for a new bike have (almost) subsided. I do want a better fork now, though! Good luck.

chips & bier
    Does anybody know if a 200x51 X2 would fit? I'd put it in the slackest position as I'm currently running it close to neutral. I'm looking for an upgrade over the old CTD Remote but currently X2's with climb switch are about half the price of a DPS or DPX2