2013 Instinct makeover- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2013 Instinct makeover

Rather than a new bike I am thinking of putting new top end fork and shock on my current bike and would like the opinions of others as to what has worked for them.
    I like the look of the DVO diamond fork (its on sale at the minute) and possibly a Monarch RC3 shock.

Comments appreciated
    Your opinion of me is none of my business

ups and downs
    The Fox Float DPS Evo rear shock is a big improvement over the original CTD Fox rear shock, it provides much more mid stroke support and better pedaling support. If you order it new from Fox you can get the proper factory tune to match the 2013 Instinct. The DPS shocks are bit fussier to setup, you have to follow the instructions or it just doesn't work well.

http://www.ridefox.com/2016/dl/bike/...white-revA.pdf

And the Fox Float 34 x 140mm fork gives you BC edition amount of travel, and with the new FIT4 damper has more adjustability.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You could long shock the instinct like someone else on here has and fit a longer fork for a bit more squish and head angle.

mtbr member
    Thanks Rockyuphill. What you are suggesting looks to be a very good setup. Is this similar to what you ride. Do you know if the DPS shock fits the old link?

GRPABT I like the idea of a 160 mm fork but it seems that is putting you into the more serious down hill orientated forks and loose some of the small bump and lower speed compliance of say a Fox 34 140mm. Is this correct?

ups and downs
    The DPS rear shock with the factory tune should fit using the original hardware. I had a 2013 Instinct 970 alloy and then went with the 2014 Instinct 999 MSL which had a newer CTD tune and that made a noticeable difference in the amount of pedaling induced suspension movement. I ended up going to a Thunderbolt and switched to the DPS shock and that was huge difference in pedaling efficiency.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Thanks again Rockyuphill. The Fox suspension you suggest would be a great setup but after some more reading I am leaning towards DVO, Topaz shock and Diamond fork and a big part of the reason is that DVO is user serviceable. There's no point in buying top end suspension if its not kept in good tune and Fox servicing is not cheap.
    Would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried the Topaz on a Rocky Mt. as to whether there were any issues in fitting it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i'm looking at putting the topaz on my 2014 Instinct. Does it fit the old/original link or did you need to get the updated link?

mtbr member
    Mine has the old link and the topaz bolts straight in. Mine came with the correct bushes for the mounting bolts.
    Did take me a couple of months trial and error to get the shock dialled in. This is the first time I have mucked around with a shock, previously all I have done is set the sag and ride. The whole process was quite a learning curve and I have developed a much greater respect for what the shock actually does.

Tony