18/19 Instinct Carbon Creaks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

18/19 Instinct Carbon Creaks

Probably a silly question for the forum but looking for suggestions as the LBS said "leave it for 2 weeks.....that's our current turn around"...no way!

Started what sounded like a headset creak because it was when torquing a bit on the steering and that's what my ears said....cleaned and serviced the headset and it made no diff... if I stand to the side of the bike and hold one side of bar and torque a bit on the top rail or seat I get a creak that seems to be coming from the shock area. Holding the shock I can feel the "Crick" through it but the carbon is so stiff I guess it could be coming from anything....any tricks to locating actual source? I was going to order all the pivot bearings but assume they require puller and press?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Puller not technically required, and you can make a press pretty easily at home depot or equivalent.

I'd try pulling and greasing everything you can first. But replacing pivot bearings while you're in there is not a bad idea since it's better than doing it all twice.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Stopped at a better shop and the tech had me tweak the frame to make the noise while he held each pivot and mount point of the shock between two fingers...he determined that it was the lower mount with the chip. I had pulled it out and cleaned it earlier but when he torqued it a bit with the hex wrench it made exactly that noise...he put a bit of fine PFTE lube in it and it seems to have solved it completely!

Jii
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Mine has been creaking on and off since about a half year of ownership. I ride in muddy conditions and through winter and wash my bike a lot. Have had to unassemble, clean and regrease the ride9 chips and lower shock mount once every couple months to get rid of the creak. Visually the ride9 chips do have some wear on them and I did in fact buy a new set of the hardware but since I moved to a coil shock the creaks have mysteriously disappeared (creaked both with the stock DPS and the DPX2 I got later on). My (unrefined) theory is that the coil shock is so much more supple off the top that the breakaway force is less than the friction in the ride9 chips and hence no more creaks.

I even thought about machining single position chips to use in stead of the ride9:s since I only use one or two positions anyway (and could settle for one ie pos 5 neutral).
    RM Instinct C70 2019
    Canyon Grail AL 7.0 SL
    Octane One DJ
    Pelago Hanko

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a 2018 Element and I have been battling creaks since the first year. It has been very frustrating and annoying. Just when I think I have it figured out, after re-greasing various things, the creak will return. Ugh.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    On mine, the frame's front shock mount was not toleranced correctly to the shock hardware. Had to have the bike shop grind the bolt to make it stop creaking/knocking.

Also, creaks from the seatpost due to the seatube hole being too big inside. I had to add to the diameter of the seatpost with thin tape. Poor frame quality control.

That being said, I love the bike after fixing these issues.