XTR vs CB 4Ti vs Ritchey V4- Mtbr.com

May 2007

XTR vs CB 4Ti vs Ritchey V4

So I'm starting to think about new pedals for my WW project and it has come down to these three pedals:

Shimano XTR M970
    Egg Beater 4ti
    Ritchey WCS V4

My top priority is weight of course but I also want a pedal that will be reliable and perform well. Currently I have some heavy Shimano SPDs. I like the SPD design and have no issues with it but at the same time the XTRs are the heaviest of the bunch. I have read that you can buy ti spindles for these and make them lighter but I can't find them anywhere. Good thing about them is that they will take a serious pounding and require very little maintenance.

Being that weight is my top priority the 4Ti's seem like the best option and I would buy them in a second if it were for two issues that I have with them. First issue I have is that it seems like the wings on the pedals dig into the sole of the shoe and create large "holes" in them. I've even read of one guy having the wings wear right through the sole completely. I am aware that CB supplies shims with the pedals to fix this issues but it seems like it doesn't get rid of it completely. The second issue is that they require a lot of maintenance, as least that's what I've read and I've even read of situations where the pedal just completely fell apart.

My last option is the Ritchey WCS V4. These are SPD style pedals but at a lighter weight. There really isn't much info on these as it seems like they aren't a popular pedal so I have no idea on how reliable they are.

I would love to get advice for anyone who has experience with these pedals to help me make a good decision.

LAN
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have used the Ritchey Pro Micro V4 road pedal (same as mtb but only singelsided), and it's the best pedals I have ever used when it comes to "clicking-out". They need a little grease now and then, but I don't think that is a problem.

I you want a pedal you don't have to do anything to, the XTR is the best, but heavy.

The Ritchey pedal weighs 203g with steel spindle, so you can maybe source a ti-spindle to save 30-40g

Dec 2006
    I read you can buy XTR Ti Spindles too - so I went and looked it up:

ActionTec sells them here, pricelist here, for M970 pedals it's $76.55 and the spindle weight is 57-73 gr/pair.

According to this thread here on mtbr, the spindles save 36 g of weight.

Hope that helps!

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LAN
    I have used the Ritchey Pro Micro V4 road pedal (same as mtb but only singelsided), and it's the best pedals I have ever used when it comes to "clicking-out". They need a little grease now and then, but I don't think that is a problem.

I you want a pedal you don't have to do anything to, the XTR is the best, but heavy.

The Ritchey pedal weighs 203g with steel spindle, so you can maybe source a ti-spindle to save 30-40g
    The ones I'm talking about are the WCS V4 not the pro. They are made from Ti and Cromoly.

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardent
    I read you can buy XTR Ti Spindles too - so I went and looked it up:

ActionTec sells them here, pricelist here, for M970 pedals it's $76.55 and the spindle weight is 57-73 gr/pair.

According to this thread here on mtbr, the spindles save 36 g of weight.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks. It might not even be worth the trouble. Upgrading to these spindles might make the XTR weaker and in the end removing their best feature, durability. I do want the lightest possible but at the same time I want to install the pedals and have them work and not have to worry about them again. I have to see how much lighter the XTRs are to my stock.

Dec 2006
    Off the top of my head, the lightest pedals I know are the Crank Brothers Eggbeater 4 Ti, M2 Racer Orb pedals and Look Keo HM Ti.

From memory again, I know that some people have had issues with the Eggbeater 4 Ti model as being a bit fragile and breaking. M2 Racer is now shut down. The Keos are amazing pedals which the top pro teams use, but they are roadie pedals - i.e. how well they can clip/unclip in extremely heavy mud could be a bit dodgy - I've not tried them offroad myself.

ActionTec is a very good company and their stuff is normally of pretty high quality. I wouldn't be too worried about the durability assuming that you want these pedals for XC and don't weigh 400lbs.

May 2007
    Well it seems like the 4Ti's are out cause they have a rider weight limit of 185lbs and since I'm 195 I don't want to take the chance. I can do 2Ti's though, seems like there is no limit on these.

I found out that my pedals weigh around 450g, they are like bricks!

If ActionTec is as good as you say they are they I might just get the XTRs and install the Ti spindle. Do you know if it's an easy install?

Dec 2006
    I've not done it myself. Looking at the exploded view here, it doesn't look that bad.

There is a picture walkthrough here, which was written by a mtbr user. These two guys (1, 2) have done it before, and if you have any further questions, they should be able to help you more.

The weight at the end for the pair as you can see in the pictures comes out to about 290grams, which is 100g more than the Look Keo HM Ti. I wouldn't dismiss the Keos out of hand if I were you.

Hope that helps!

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardent
    I've not done it myself. Looking at the exploded view here, it doesn't look that bad.

There is a picture walkthrough here, which was written by a mtbr user. These two guys (1, 2) have done it before, and if you have any further questions, they should be able to help you more.

The weight at the end for the pair as you can see in the pictures comes out to about 290grams, which is 100g more than the Look Keo HM Ti. I wouldn't dismiss the Keos out of hand if I were you.

Hope that helps!
    The Look is a road pedal and it's only one sided. Not interested in something like that.

mtbr member

Time?

Another option is the TIME Atac XS Ti pedal around 270gms I think.

I used to used Time Atacs Carbonsand they were very good and reliable. Now I've switched to Eggs and currently run Twin Ti eggs with Shorter Ti spindle upgrade, around 191gms.

You can also get shorter steel spindles for Twin-Ti eggs as well, 4mm shorter, there will be only a slight weight saving though. CB list the shorter steel spindles at 104gms a pair, I'll try and weigh my normal length steel spindles tonight to confirm the weight there.

Mar 2007

just counting down the amount of time before Nino mentions Exustar...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesto
    just counting down the amount of time before Nino mentions Exustar...
    i haven't used exustar, or seen them in person, but i've only heard bad things about them. i would stay away.
    michael

Dec 2006
    Does nino sell exustar stuff? At one point in the future I was thinking of picking up some E-SL02 clipless adaptors, see here, but I wasn't able to find a vendor when I looked.

Jun 2007
    Of these you listed, I think only the XTR have ball bearings which means they have the least resistance when turning. This makes them heavier. I know there was another company that was making the eggbeater using ball bearings. I think it was Time. They licensed the design from Crank Bros.

I learned on SPD when it was the only design available for mtn biking. A few years ago I tried the Eggbeaters and was very disappointed with the click-in and click-out feel. I had a hard time noticing when I was in the pedals because there is no positive indication like a solid SNAP or CLICK. I feel that if the pedals had a way to increase the tension then I would have been able to make them work for the. These are the things that bothered me with the design: 1. the bearings, 2. the lack of tension adjustment, 3. digging into the sole of the shoe, 4. short cleat life. I love that fact that they are four-sided, shed mud like nobody's business and are lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by drainyoo
    So I'm starting to think about new pedals for my WW project and it has come down to these three pedals:

Shimano XTR M970
    Egg Beater 4ti
    Ritchey WCS V4

May 2007
    I'm not into the Exustar stuff. Seems flimsy to me.

Anyway I have narrowed it down to XTR w/ Ti spindle or the Ritchey WCS Pro. The Ritcheys are lighter than the XTR even with the Ti Splindle, around 40g all together, which in the end isn't that much and since the XTR are more reliable they might be the best option. Decisions, decisions!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You might want to look at the Xpedos. They seem to be along the lines of what you're looking for. I picked up the MG/SLs which were supposed to be 272g but were 270g when weighed. Not bad for SPD compatable. There is a TI/CR (titanium/chromemoly) that come in at 260g. Not sure why I didn't order those. Perhaps the cost v. weight saved wasn't good enough in my mind.

These also have a cartridge bearing FWIW.

Just stay away from the ones with TI at the end. The first group of letters is the material for the cleat (mine are magnesium) and the second is the spindle (mine are stainless). All the TI's seem to have the 185# weight limit.
    Regret lasts longer than pain.

Thanks to:
    Cycle to Fitness KHS Bikes Woodland Lanes Mavic

red-headed maniac
    Dec 2006
    I know there was another company that was making the eggbeater using ball bearings. I think it was Time. They licensed the design from Crank Bros.
    It's LOOK that licensed the eggbeater design from CB. The pedal is called the 4x4, and is reportedly quite good. Extremely durable and has bearings everywhere. However, the pair weighs something over 300g, and is actually more expensive than the CB eggbeater SL.
    WOO BIKES!!

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Lover
    You might want to look at the Xpedos. They seem to be along the lines of what you're looking for. I picked up the MG/SLs which were supposed to be 272g but were 270g when weighed. Not bad for SPD compatable. There is a TI/CR (titanium/chromemoly) that come in at 260g. Not sure why I didn't order those. Perhaps the cost v. weight saved wasn't good enough in my mind.

These also have a cartridge bearing FWIW.

Just stay away from the ones with TI at the end. The first group of letters is the material for the cleat (mine are magnesium) and the second is the spindle (mine are stainless). All the TI's seem to have the 185# weight limit.
    I have considered the Xpedos but it seems like they add no benefit in terms of weight or durability over the XTRs and Ritcheys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Interesting that 55-65g over the XTRs is considered no benefit in the "save some weight" catagory with "light is right" as a sig. line... That's part of the reason I went with them over the XTRs.

I do like the look of the Ritcheys though. The weight is nice too. I don't think I saw those when I was looking.
    Regret lasts longer than pain.

Thanks to:
    Cycle to Fitness KHS Bikes Woodland Lanes Mavic

May 2007
    well if you re-read my post you will not that I don't only mention the XTRs. Since the ritcheys are around the same weigth as the xpesos I prefer the ritcheys.

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    I bought the XTR 970s and never looked back.
    Theyre a little heavy but as usual XTR stuff is probably the best you can get.

Bomb down a hill without worrying if a pedal will break is peace in my mind.

Members who have read this thread: 0