What's Tom Ritchey Riding?- Mtbr.com
    Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

What's Tom Ritchey Riding?

Hello 29er brethren. This is OT, sorry, but since the 29er forum is also the unofficial funky bar forum, i'm posting this question here:

In Dirt Rag issue 125, page 36, there are pix of Tom Ritchey riding his bike in Rwanda. His Bar/brake/shift setup is unusual. It's either a bullhorn/time trial bar or flat bar with bar ends. He's also got grip shift and time trial-style brake levers. Anybody know the details of this setup? Both pix on that page show the bike, the upper pic has it in the background. Can you photo-sleuths combine forces with the hardware experts to figure this out? The brake cables exit the front of the lever...is this normal for this type of lever?

I am interested since this appears to mimic the Mary-bar/H-bar hand position i have grown to prefer.
    but it probably gives superior climbing power like bar ends too.

thanks in advance for any comments.
    the time is right for violent revolution

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    From what I heard, (on this forum somewhere) those are just bar-ends with a set of road tt brake levers on them. I only see Tom riding his road bike around here but if our paths cross I will ask him about it.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecop
    In Dirt Rag issue 125, page 36, there are pix of Tom Ritchey riding his bike in Rwanda. His Bar/brake/shift setup is unusual. .
    I notice them too and figured someone would catch it sooner or later.

They looked like bullhorns with TT levers to me...which means no v-brakes or disc brakes (unless you use the BB-7 road calipers).

AKA jefftron3000
    I had the pleasure of riding with TR recently.

His bike has a pretty unique set-up.

He's not riding with the same shifter and brake lever combo as pictured in the Dirt Rag article anymore. He runs flat bars with bar ends and V-brakes. Drivetrain is a 2X9 with Gripshift. I think this is the same bar/barend he was running the time trial levers and Gripshift on, but I'm not certain.

Check out http://projectrwanda.org/ for some more photos of his bike and links to even more photos of the Wooden Bike Classic in Rwanda and his travels through the countryside.

While you are at it, get hip to what Tom is doing with Project Rwanda. Pretty cool stuff!

Other specs. of note on TR's ride are a custom Steve Potts built/ Castellano designed titanium softtail with TR's Breakaway coupling system and an internal headset. He also uses an Allsop suspension stem and rigid fork.
    I sew stuff.

Carousel Design Works

Round and round it goes. Where it stops? Nobody knows.

The Endless Revolution

Old Fart at Play

Forget Tom's bike...

Check out this dude:
    https://projectrwanda.org/gallery/pic6.jpg

"Mary bars? I don't need no stinkin' Mary bars!"
    And check that seatpost!
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

AKA jefftron3000
    oops....double post
    I sew stuff.

Carousel Design Works

Round and round it goes. Where it stops? Nobody knows.

The Endless Revolution

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Maximus
    Check out this dude:

And check that seatpost!

That time trial bike is never going to get UCI approval!

mtbr member
    i think they were his bent in ergonomic barends with time trial brake levers in ends. the bar ends are nice....got them on cloxxkis advice and do like them. they do mimic the bend of h bars on a straightish bar, but you'd want the brakes on them, and to be sure they wouldnt slip around...
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Check out this dude:

And check that seatpost!
    Already saw it in Dirt Rag...

Oct 2006
    Whatever Tom's riding kit contains, you can be certain a helmet is not on the list.

Complete Bastard
    Check out this dude:

And check that seatpost!
    Hey, what's Ashy Larry doing in Rwanda?

small member
    Jun 2006
    And why is TR wearing a Swisspower jersey?
    he has a crush on Fritschy or what?

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    And why is TR wearing a Swisspower jersey?
    he has a crush on Fritschy or what?
    are you high? put it this way: when frischy got 2nd place at the 1990 world championships in durango, tom ritchey was the guy that sponsored him. in fact, if you look at the roster of sponsors of the Swisspower team today, you'll see ritchey listed as a team sponsor.

so while i'm not saying tom doesn't have a crush on frischy, he doesn't need to have a crush on him to wear the jersey. he bought and paid for that with his sponsorship.

for more info, check out the article on page two of this document: http://www.ritcheylogic.com/Media/ri...er_2004_10.pdf

OMR - Old Man Riding

... and if we just ... He rides whatever's available at the time....

We just completed an 50 mile for 50 bikes event in SoCal for project Rwanda. It was the first event in the US for Tom's pet project. He had just turned 50 as well and flew down (in his personal jet!) for the event. He barrowed someone's old clunker, wore an old jersey and pink helmet and rode the final 25 mile leg of the course. He's still in great shape!!!

We raised over $30,000 with 247 riders... the good news is that we had a victory dinner with him where he shared his vision for helping the Rwandan coffee growers before he flew back to NoCal. He's an amazing guy that is giving a lot of his time and money to help the Rwandans recover from a terrible period in their country. Great to see how a bike can impact a people and a country. His project is getting a lot of attention in the bike industry as they hope to use this as a model in helping African countries help themselves through micro financing.

I was proud to have just a little part in all this

OMR...
    SoCal
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Older than Dirt!!!

small member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    are you high? put it this way: when frischy got 2nd place at the 1990 world championships in durango, tom ritchey was the guy that sponsored him. in fact, if you look at the roster of sponsors of the Swisspower team today, you'll see ritchey listed as a team sponsor.

so while i'm not saying tom doesn't have a crush on frischy, he doesn't need to have a crush on him to wear the jersey. he bought and paid for that with his sponsorship.

for more info, check out the article on page two of this document: http://www.ritcheylogic.com/Media/ri...er_2004_10.pdf

Oh, I see : big moustache solidarity...are you Tom's lawyer?

All kidding aside, TR pays TF to display his name on his jersey...not the other way around.

after much reflection, I may be high : I'm sleep-deprived and I just bought my first 29er yesterday...

Nonetheless, this Rwanda project is way cool...

i heart singletrack
    Oh, I see : big moustache solidarity...are you Tom's lawyer?

All kidding aside, TR pays TF to display his name on his jersey...not the other way around.

after much reflection, I may be high : I'm sleep-deprived and I just bought my first 29er yesterday...

Nonetheless, this Rwanda project is way cool...
    Crap! You nailed me. We of the Hairy Face must maintain solidarity in our hairy front in the face of the evil shavers!! Long live long hair!!

I'm sure there's a picture of Frischy in TR's Bible... Why? He's a God. Okay, so I guess I worship Frischi too.

I think what TR and company are doing over in Rowanda is awesome. It's inspiring to see how he's focused his passion for cycling on that project. It's clearly making a big difference.

... and a little high every once and a while never hurt anyone -- as long as it's the <i>right</i> high!

Rip it!
    MG

i heart singletrack

BTW -- Congrats on the new ride! Big wheels have been a real eye opener for me, as I'm sure they will be for you once you've got some time in on them.

Cheers,
    MG

small member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    BTW -- Congrats on the new ride! Big wheels have been a real eye opener for me, as I'm sure they will be for you once you've got some time in on them.

Cheers,
    MG

Thanks!!!
    Alas, I still need a frame, since that one is too big for me. I'll keep the parts but I need a new frame (with V bosses)...

still stoked though...

small member
    Jun 2006
    Hey, THOSE jerseys are cool...

I'll ask my wife to buy me one for Valentine's...

Too Much Fun

Project Rwanda is right on

Quote Originally Posted by mtber3737
    We just completed an 50 mile for 50 bikes event in SoCal for project Rwanda. It was the first event in the US for Tom's pet project. He had just turned 50 as well and flew down (in his personal jet!)
    Great project! I'm going to order up a jersey and donate. Bikes can be a powerful force for good in the world.

...And TR has a personal jet?! Damn. I knew he's done well, but not that well.
    - -benja- -

Members who have read this thread: 1