What's the scoop on Syncros?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What's the scoop on Syncros?

I was recently reminded of this brand in another forum. Someone was looking for a short stem and some posters mentioned Syncros and even showed pics of their swanky Syncros stem. I had forgotten about this brand until then. I remember seeing them on bikes in the late 90s and then they seemed to have disappeared. Anyway, I went on Ebay and found my own swanky Syncros stem (Hardcore Bear Hug, 90mm OS w/ 24.5 shims). It's a bit on the heavy side, but I just needed a shorter stem with 4-bolt clamp and this model was priced right and looked cool. I'm just doing a budget upgrade on my Specialized XC bike. Where does Syncros stand in terms of quality and reputation. I see that their stems have a high MSRP (the Hardcore was retailed for around $80). If price is an indication of quality, then I take it that Syncros is a high-end brand?

mtbr member
    Well they disappeared into financial difficulty and have come back as a completely different company that's just taken a name and manufactured new products. In terms of quality they're certainly not into entry level components: mid-high level really.

Brackish
    They are totally different now, the name switched hands a few times and now resides with Ritchey as a wholly-owned subsidiary run out of Vancouver. From what I have read on NSMB, the Syncros parts hold up pretty well for their freeride/downhill team, but Syncros is a sponsor. Beyond that, I've heard mixed reviews but that's true of anything. I emailed them a couple of years ago and got a prompt reply straight from the guy running the Vancouver operation, and that tends to count for a lot in my book. Overall, the new version of most of their stuff looks like it's built for trouble.

No. Just No.
    I've been accumulating several Syncros bits on my bikes for the past couple of years, and have had very good experience. There's some very thoughtful details in the new products, from the grade of steel bolts, to intelligent choice of bearing types for different applications, etc.

local trails rider
    I recently got a Syncros Derived seat post: it was the only 26.8 mm set-back post that looked like a quality product and I could get in my hands now. It seems to be well made. Getting the seat angle right was not the easiest but there's been no problems since I got it set up.

wuss
    Syncros did very well in a recent German test on carbon fibre handlebars. They tested quite a few specimins, and not a lot of manufacturers got a clear record (Syncros, Race Face and Easton?).

mtbr member
    I read the same thing about the Carbon bar tests, they did well. My Syncros Gain CF riser has been been nice, no issues so far!

Only minor complaint would be that the metal mesh they put on the bar to reinforce the clamping area is off center from the markings on the bar. So even when you do have it centered visually it looks off. Every now and again I question whether they got the mesh in the middle and the markings off, aha.

Ride Everything
    Bumping this thread because I'm having a hell of a time finding an 80mm Syncros AM stem (1-1/8" steer). Universal lists the 60mm size, but can't get the 80's. Any ideas on where to find an 80mm AM?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Ritchey bought the syncros name because they needed some way to market their own "freeride" type component designs to consumers who refused to believe ritchey capable of anything but lightweight roadie and XC stuff.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    Bumping this thread because I'm having a hell of a time finding an 80mm Syncros AM stem (1-1/8" steer). Universal lists the 60mm size, but can't get the 80's. Any ideas on where to find an 80mm AM?
    this looks like about 80mm - call chad at red barn bicycles:
    pic link

Ride Everything
    Turns out Speed Goat has 'em.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, MHM. If so, looks like Cambria carries it; however, I don't think they currently have it in stock.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=44200

Looks pretty nice, but for that price I think you should have more options.

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    Try straight from the source? Looks like Syncros has solved the retail availability problem: http://store.syncros.com/.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Try straight from the source? Looks like Syncros has solved the retail availability problem: http://store.syncros.com/.
    Yeah, I saw that after I'd placed the order with Speed Goat.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Members who have read this thread: 0