What chainrings for Ritchey WCS crank- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

What chainrings for Ritchey WCS crank

I need some help. I think my chainrings are warn out to bad. I have some missing teeth and they do not look all that great anymore. I want to replace the chainrings and I do not know what size or type to get. Any help would be great. I want something that will be strong and last a while, but not cost a zillion bucks.
    Troy

Aug 2006
    I also just measured. The outer bolt patter for seems to be like 106mm and the inner seems to be 63mm, +/- a little bit. Could this be a 104/64 bolt pattern or do they make a 106/63 bolt pattern?
    Troy

Aug 2006
    I am also going to switch to a 2x9 speed. I can not remember the last time I actually even shifted into the 44t. I almost never use largest rear gear, but I am not sure if I just leave the 22t up front or put a 24t up front and go with a 38t or leave the 34t.
    Troy

No longer 26
    Hey Troy,

A 22 granny with a 36 middle ring as your big ring will get you all of the same gear ratios as a 22/32/44 triple with the exception of the 44 x 11 and 12. I run 24/36 Blackspire Pro rings on my 2x9 set up. The reason for the 24 granny is it gives just a little more range in the singletrack. I am also using a 11-34 cassette on my FS and a 11-32 on my HT...both GF 29ers.

I really like the 2x9 set up. Adds ground clearance, lighter, able to run a road front derailleur easily, able to use a medium cage rear derailleur...all positives in my book.

Downsides...you may end up shifting the front a bit more.

FWIW, last weekend was the first time I even used the 36x11 on a slight downhill off road. Was not spinning very fast but thoght I should use it because I have it. 22/34 front rings might even be enough for me on my 29er.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Aug 2006
    Thanks for the info. I think I will go with 24/36. I have a 11-34 rear cog and only use the granny once in a while but I do get into the top gear once in a while so having a tiny bit more range there would help. I am not sure if the difference would be that noticable. Also, right now I am not it the greatest of shape so I use it more and in the past when I was in better shape I did not use granny much if at all sometimes. So that is a toss up.

Where do I get a 34T middle or 36 tooth middle? Also, what bolts should I use to get the middle ring now that I do not have a big ring?
    thanks for the help,
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    Hey Troy,

A 22 granny with a 36 middle ring as you big ring will get you all of the same gear ratios as a 22/32/44 triple with the exception of the 44 x 11 and 12. I run 24/36 Blackspire Pro rings on my 2x9 set up. The reason for the 24 granny is it gives just a little more range in the singletrack. I am also using a 11-34 cassette on my FS and a 11-32 on my HT...both GF 29ers.

I really like the 2x9 set up. Adds ground clearance, lighter, able to run a road front derailleur easily, able to use a medium cage rear derailleur...all positives in my book.

Downsides...you may end up shifting the front a bit more.

FWIW, last weekend was the first time I even used the 36x11 on a slight downhill off road. Was not spinning very fast but thoght I should use it because I have it. 22/34 front rings might even be enough for me on my 29er.

G

Members who have read this thread: 0