Weirwolf race DNA 2.1/Ritchey WCS Z-max- Mtbr.com

May 2006

Calling Shiggy Weirwolf race DNA 2.1/Ritchey WCS Z-max

I bought a set of WTB Weirwolf Race DNA 2.1s and a set Of Richey WCS Zmax Mill.2.1s
    I thought I would run the Weirwolf up front and z-max rear. I thought the weirwolf up front was gonna be wider with a lit more volume but it is about the same as the z-max. How does the weirwolf perform as a back tire? And being that these tires are none UST can I run them on Mavic crosslands with Stans?

Hey Shiggy I sent my self addressed envelope with postage for the mtbtires decals a month ago did you not get it?
    Last edited by Phantom44; 06-11-2006 at 08:52 PM. Reason: No responses

May 2006
    Anybody ever used a Weirwolf....heard of one...come on guys

May 2006

New question here. Shiggy a little help here please

Nobody else will help me out,which I thought that was what the forum was for. Will the Weirwolf perform well on back running the right tread direction or should I turn it around for better climbing while killing my rolling rest.? Will these tires the Richeys and WTBs work on Mavic crosslands run tubeless with Stan's being that they are non-UST tires?

screamer
    Phantom:
    I haven't ridden the ZMax for comparison, but I've been really happy with the WW2.1 on the rear for NorCal XC conditions. I've tried it facing forward and backward, and can't say that I really notice a difference, except that facing backwards seems to increase wear (not surprisingly). I might be imagining things, but rolling resistance seems less when facing forward (again, as you'd expect). Overall, I'd say it's a really fast tire for its weight, and I'm really pleased with the traction either way. Makes for great climbing on loose steeps, controlled braking, and no problems with wash-outs. I run about 35-40psi in the rear, 30-35 in the front.
    I have had some success running it with Stan's (on Velocity VXC rims), although you should be aware that notubes.com doesn't recommend WTB tires for this. Do a search, since I think some posters here have had some sidewall issues. Personally, I'm back to using tubes (no compressor, switching tires a pain, etc...).

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a set of 2.1 Weirwolf and the Ritchey WCS ZMax that I put on now and again. The Zmax is better in softer/deeper dirt, and I use it in the rear more. The Weirwolf is a fast rolling tire that corners like crazy! It works front and rear with no problems for my hardpack needs.

dusty paw tracks
    i like the Weirwolf up front, it is such a killer cornering tire for the loose. i ride a 2.5 front and a Z-Max 2.3 on back, and this combo is pretty decent. Z-Max is a quality tire, climbs very well with those big scoop/paddle treads.

one thing i notice is the Weir's profile gets flattened out w/ wear, i like rounder profiles so this means time to change up front. the Z has a pretty round profile, which is nice.

(i should say this is on a rigid singlespeed in the high desert)

Members who have read this thread: 0