UK Newbie here just saying ow do ....DT Swiss or Syncros ???- Mtbr.com

Oct 2007

UK Newbie here just saying ow do ....DT Swiss or Syncros ???

Hi new to the forum but have had my HL Spot since late O5. Looking to change rims from currnet Mavic XC717 laced to Hope XC hubs in red.

First I fancy white rims bike is silver.

So do I go Syncros FL DS23 with current red hubs ...............white rim red hub good?............ or perhaps some King hubs in pewter

Or

DT Swiss EX 5.1 XC FR slightly beefier that above rim i understand............once again in white with existing red hub or new Kings in pewter or................?

So who knows the gen on thesde two rims your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shreditup
    Hi new to the forum but have had my HL Spot since late O5. Looking to change rims from currnet Mavic XC717 laced to Hope XC hubs in red.

First I fancy white rims bike is silver.

So do I go Syncros FL DS23 with current red hubs ...............white rim red hub good?............ or perhaps some King hubs in pewter

Or

DT Swiss EX 5.1 XC FR slightly beefier that above rim i understand............once again in white with existing red hub or new Kings in pewter or................?

So who knows the gen on thesde two rims your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I have been looking at the same rimes, well sorta. The DS 23s are 23mm. They have 25 & 28mm. So don't write them off yet.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    keep the spare wheels and go with the dt/king thing.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Wicketed
    go with the ones that look faster on the couch ;-)
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

Large member
    Welcome shreditup, you've come to a fun place....they know their stuff too.

I have no idea on the wheels, but your country needs you in the Rugby World Cup thread

You too, Lee

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

dts are nice

I really like DT rims. They hold up well to regular abuse. Some have issues with denting but I have not had this problem yet. King hubs are hard to beat. They are an investment no doubt but you will never replace them. Just string them to different rims every few years. They are pretty maintenance free and the engagement is amazing. I got all of mine before the price hike and I have two full sets ( dh and cc). In fact you can buy a used set of King wheels for less than the price of new hubs and you really cant ruin them. Buy the hub tool and rebuild every so often and you are good. Just my 2 cents.

not so super...
    what kind of use? Much air time?

The jump from 23 to 28mm rims is pretty large.
    Nothing to see here.

Oct 2007
    No not much air just waht I would term aggresive XC / All mountain to put some sort of label on it.

not so super...
    Suggestions: Not white but they fit your use. They are in between your other 2 choices as far as width and weights.

Syncros DP25

Stans Arch

DT 4.2d

Mavic XM 719
    Nothing to see here.

Oct 2007
    Yea have looked at those.........still want white, was all sold on the Syncros until I saw a write up stating build quality issues with Syncros wheels.

Anyone running them

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Ssinga has a point

In my previous post I talked about how much I liked my Dt's but I was refering to the 4.2's. My trail wheelset and they are light and surprisingly tough. Still think the Kings are a smart long term investment.............4.2's come and go but kings will last forever.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i know its hard to bring up fo without a loose mom or a off color sexual preference joke but he acctually had a set of dt hoops painted white and restickered. check with him.
    No, I'm NOT back!

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by shreditup
    Yea have looked at those.........still want white, was all sold on the Syncros until I saw a write up stating build quality issues with Syncros wheels.

Anyone running them
    I used the DS28 rim. I was pleased with it.
    Nothing to see here.

Feb 2005
    I think red hub and white rim on silver frame would look good. For the hubs though I would look at Industry Nine and they also do some interesting colourful spokes for maximum colour overload.

Members who have read this thread: 0