Thomson or Ritchey WCS stem/seatpost???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thomson or Ritchey WCS stem/seatpost???

Looking to upgrade the stem and seatpost on my FS XC bike. I'm trying to decide between Thomson Elite or Ritchey WCS. I'm sure they're both excellant choices with the weights being very comperable. The Ritchey lines look more elegant although I think Thomson has more of a bling factor - not that that's important but I do tend to notice Thomson equipment on a bike. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirkel
    Looking to upgrade the stem and seatpost on my FS XC bike. I'm trying to decide between Thomson Elite or Ritchey WCS. I'm sure they're both excellant choices with the weights being very comperable. The Ritchey lines look more elegant although I think Thomson has more of a bling factor - not that that's important but I do tend to notice Thomson equipment on a bike. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Here is what Speedgoat mentions at the top of the Ritchey's WCS:

"We only recommend these for lighter riders as the head tends to slip under heavier use"....

I don't know how much you weight, but the Thomson will take more abuse, IMHO..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm 145 lbs on a 25 lb FS bike. I'd assume that's light enough.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

What are your goals?

I'm 145 lbs on a 25 lb FS bike. I'd assume that's light enough.
    If you are building a lightweight bike than the WCS makes sense; however, if you want a strong, albeit a semi heavy stem, I would go Thomson. The Thomson just has more material while the WCS is spindly. I might add a third stem: Race Face Deus. A light stem with a bit more beef to it.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    I like the Thompson stuff.Not only sharp but it lasts forever IMO

Not a Barry supporter.
    I'm not a bike snob...really I'm not ...but I only ride Thomson stems/posts. I've tried others but I know the Thomson stuff is gonna last forever...and look good doing it!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Sep 2005
    I think Thomson has more of a bling factor - not that that's important
    oh, come on! you don't think bling is important?! i think bling is very important, and given there's so many excellent components out there, costing not unreasonable money, often it boils down to bling!

anyway, i personally like to have matching finishing kit on my bikes. it can make a bike look really schmick. once you start looking at high-end gear - as you are - then the 'function' (quality) should be a 'given'. although i note the above.

of your two choices, i think thomson is more bling too, and would favour it. i have a thomson elite seatpost and X4 stem on my HT. i cannot fault these: top build quality, finish, and available in a huge range of sizes; and the seatpost clamp adjustment is excellent. i prefer the shiny black finish of thomson over the matt black of ritchey. although if you were looking at a WCS Carbon seatpost, say with a carbon bar, it'd be a different story (and with the 4 Axis stem).

Mar 2004
    The only downside to the thomson is a weight penalty.

Adobo Lover
    Thomson. Hasn't let me down yet.

Rollin' a fatty
    WCS like many weight weenie gram counting racing oriented products are not that strong or durable.

If you want a strong, durable, good looking product Thomson is the way to go.

mtbr member
    How about Titec? I have good luck with them too,In fact that's what is on my f/s bike.
    Bar ,stem and seatpost. I also prefer matching componenents
    Btw Moots makes a Ti stem @under 200 grams

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

What Is Your Current Post Like?

As I'm sure you're aware the Thomson seatpost has no setback or if you opt for the setback model it has very little setback. I could never ride a Thomson post for that reason. Plus the chunky utilitarian looks do nothing for me.
    The Ritchey post has a more traditional head design with setback comperable to Shimano, Campy and most others. I've got a WCS post that is still going strong after 5 years (but come on seatposts last forever). At the time I bought it it was the best $ to gram ratio seatpost out there.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Here is what Speedgoat mentions at the top of the Ritchey's WCS:

"We only recommend these for lighter riders as the head tends to slip under heavier use"....

I don't know how much you weight, but the Thomson will take more abuse, IMHO..
    I have the Ritchey WCS post on my road bike. I would NOT recommend it for MTB use. It's great on a 15lb roadie, as long as you have it set up perfectly and distribute your weight evenly.

But speedgoat is right - it will slip if you put too much weight fore / aft.

Check out FSA's line of seatposts / stems / bars too.

jrm
    mtbr member

I buy thomson stuff..

because of the quality of the finish and the clamp.

Adobo Lover
    the degrees etched into the seatpost is great to get that fine tuning too.

mtbr member
    i love my thomson stem/seat post... if you're looking for lighter weight you can go for their masterpiece post

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i own both and despite people saying the wcs might break i doubt it will. That being said it is far more flexy than a thomson stem. I think the new X4 stem by Thomson is a good compromise, being pretty light and still super stiff. I rode the ritchey for 2 years with no problems and if going super light would use it again but the Thomson is on my bike right now and will stay.

Members who have read this thread: 1