Syncros wheels any good?- Mtbr.com
    Son
    mtbr member

Syncros wheels any good?

Hi all! I'm about to order a white/black Santa Cruz frame here and want white wheels to go with it. I found Syncros make white wheels, namely the FLR DS23.

I was already planning to get Mavic's XM321 Disc, so I was wondering if these Syncros are utter crap compared to Mavics. They're lighter anyway than those Mavics, but also intended for all-mountain use.

I'd be happy to hear your experiences!

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Son
    Hi all! I'm about to order a white/black Santa Cruz frame here and want white wheels to go with it. I found Syncros make white wheels, namely the FLR DS23.

I was already planning to get Mavic's XM321 Disc, so I was wondering if these Syncros are utter crap compared to Mavics. They're lighter anyway than those Mavics, but also intended for all-mountain use.

I'd be happy to hear your experiences!
    A few things:

You are not comparing apples to apples. The Syncros DS23 rims are XC rims and the Mavic 321 rims are not XC rims at all, though of course could be used for XC but they are certainly not like the Mavic 317 XC rims, or even the Mavic 819s. The DS23 rims should be closer in robustness to the Mavic 819s and in between the weights of the 819s and 317s, but certainly not as beefy as the Mavic 321s.

Syncros makes great rims. I know wheelbuilders that like them and I have had a set of wheels based on Syncros DS28 rims and loved them. I would personally not worry about the rim quality. I am unsure of the hub quality as I simply know nothing of them.

I hear you on the white. Other than the cheap Azonic Outlaws or $$$$ new DT Swiss 1750 wheelset, not a lot of white choices. Personally, I would also consider getting the white DS23 rims built around some more known XC hubs.

Another option is to do what I did...have the rims of your choice powdercoated before the build of your choice.

So...bottom line, you can get any colored rim you want and if white, there are off the shelf choices. Best part is that white rims look cool on a black (or white) framed bike.

No, that's not phonetic
    What Faux said. I have DP25 rims (a bit beefier than the 23 rims) and they are definitely softer than my XM321 rims. I use the 25s for general riding, and run the 321s on my FR-lite bike. The 321 is the best rim I have ever run. Highly recommended for a heavy-duty trail application.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    F.Y.I. Velocity also makes a nice rim in white, the VXC disc.

Son
    mtbr member
    Thanks guys! Actually, I'm currently running the stock pair of some XC-series Mavic rims on my '04 Kona Kula (hardtail) and even the rear wheel is pretty straight still. If I'm not completely mistaken, the Syncros in question should take more beating than XC-series Mavics. (The Syncros website says: "Intended use: Hardcore XC / Marathon / All Mtn - Disc specific")

That said, I think the Syncros rims should be just adequate for my riding style. But: the DS23s are 5mm narrower than the XM321. Do you think a 23mm (~0.9") wide rim is enough for a 2.2" wide tire?

Son
    mtbr member
    Nevermind. No more white Hecklers in size M in SC's stock, so I'm getting anodized silver now. So the rim color will be the "traditional" black.

No, that's not phonetic
    I have run 2.6" tires on 321's with no issues. Just keep the tire pressure up. BTW- the last two numbers in the Mavic rim name are the inside width of the rim. 321 = 21mm inside width.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Son
    mtbr member
    Cool, thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 2