Syncros stem??- Mtbr.com

Thread: Syncros stem??

May 2007

Syncros stem??

My buddy is shipping me an old vintage sycros stem for my build. I just bought a Sycros riser bar for it and he doesnt think it will fit since it has a hingeless clamp. I have a flatbar that will work, I was just hoping I could use the riser bar.

Anybody know if a Riser bar will slide thru a fixed Sycros stem clamp???

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Depends on the riser but its possible if you do the nickle trick.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

May 2007
    OK, I'll bite, Whats the nickel trick????

velocipede technician
    put a nickel in the slit in the stem, use the pinch bolt to push against the nickel spreading the stem open
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    nevermind.......
    Last edited by fat-tony; 07-05-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: too many beers
    blah, blah, blah..........

www.fatcogs.com

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    put a nickel in the slit in the stem, use the pinch bolt to push against the nickel spreading the stem open
    ...which of course only works if you put in the bolts from the back side of the clamp

i remember to have seen instructions from Syncros on how to remove some of the clamp so that a riser bar can slide through. just a bit on the underside of the clamp front left and right from the bolts.

Carsten

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Don't count on the Syncros stem working with a riser...The clamp diameter is about 2.5 inches...pretty much impossible to slip a riser bar through...you'll wreck the stem trying and marr your bar at the same time.

rb

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Depends on the model of syncros, the earlier ones were 2.5" wide but the later (92 ish) ones lost a half inch or so of clamp width. In any case, the nickel trick will still work even with the originals in many cases (as everyone of us who had to put a scott AT-2/3/4 bar into one knows).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

He be a moose too.
    I had Scott At-4 bars on an old bike and they were a pain in the ass to get on. I would like to use them on an American stem, which has a wider clamp (the stem is in the next state so I don't have it handy to measure it...Calling Shayne, you have a stem you could check the width?).

Anyone know the widest clamp an AT-4 bar will work with?

'Guin

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

American Clamp...50mm

Riser bars fit, don't know about Scott AT bars.

Couple other random stems I had laying around measured:
    Control Tech = 45mm
    Gereric alloy = 38mm
    Salsa steel = 35mm

Down South Yooper

Some will..

I sucessfully mounted a titec hell bent in a syncros stem. You have to use the nickle (penny, dime) trick, and turn the bars just so, but you can squeeze them through. Did it on two different vintages of syncros stems too, the old, gloss black quilled stem and a replacement flat powder coated stem (1" quill again).

I broke the first stem at the transition from the machined quill to the stem proper. Rode back to the house with only the quill bolt holding it together. This would have been in 1995 or so, so they were still around and contactable, I even managed to get a set of replacement power ring bolts at the time...

So, yes, it can be done. Should you force a stem that old that far open? Maybe not. Might try a 'short rise' riser, instead of the full 1.5".

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

Members who have read this thread: 0