Syncros Snapper rims (Shiggy???)- Mtbr.com

Dec 2003

Syncros Snapper rims (Shiggy???)

Anyone got any knowledge of Syncros "li'l snapper" (I'm embarrased to type that!) rims?

I remember Shiggy mentioning that he'd bought a couple, but I don't recall him mentioning if he'd ever built them up.

Anyone know real live vs. claimed manufacturer weights?

Thanks,

-Que?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Que?
    Anyone got any knowledge of Syncros "li'l snapper" (I'm embarrased to type that!) rims?

I remember Shiggy mentioning that he'd bought a couple, but I don't recall him mentioning if he'd ever built them up.

Anyone know real live vs. claimed manufacturer weights?

Thanks,

-Que?
    They built up easy. Around 425g if I remember correctly. I build one for my fixed gear mtb and one for a 200 lb+ buddy's rear singlespeed wheel. Both holding up fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

carpe diem
    Jan 2004

got a pair of those recently...

and IMHO they seem to decent rims.

With all the talk about building your own wheel here, I decided to give it a shot. Just the other day I laced them to a set of XTR hubs I have for a project bike, but did not tension them yet.

I did not weigh them, so not sure of the true weight, but they do seem pretty light. I'm expecting the total build weight to be under 1700 g with 14g DB spokes.

Others have said that there are some sharp edges on the rims. I did notice a bit of an edge in a couple of spots from machining of the brake surface, but nothing a quick pass with a fine paper wouldn't clean up. Other than that everything else looked clean. Hopefully they lace up nicely.

Don't know when I'll be able to finish them. If I get a chance, I'll take some pics and post them.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moto
    and IMHO they seem to decent rims.

With all the talk about building your own wheel here, I decided to give it a shot. Just the other day I laced them to a set of XTR hubs I have for a project bike, but did not tension them yet.

I did not weigh them, so not sure of the true weight, but they do seem pretty light. I'm expecting the total build weight to be under 1700 g with 14g DB spokes.

Others have said that there are some sharp edges on the rims. I did notice a bit of an edge in a couple of spots from machining of the brake surface, but nothing a quick pass with a fine paper wouldn't clean up. Other than that everything else looked clean. Hopefully they lace up nicely.

Don't know when I'll be able to finish them. If I get a chance, I'll take some pics and post them.
    Both of my rims had a sharp edge on the inside bead (one side only). Sharp enough to cut your finger if you slid it along the bead. I was afraid it would cut the tire. I was able to sand it down with a 3M metal finishing pad with not much effort.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

blame me for missed rides
    have one laced up for my rigid ss front wheel. holding up fine after er... forgot how long, but at least half a year.

a guy on ebay is selling these snappers and the tougher version (called big box) for a good price (but pay attention to the shipping).

Dec 2003

Thanks...

I'm sloooooowly starting to assemble all of the stuff for my next wheelset. It'll probably be XTR hubs, 14/15 spokes, and as-yet undetermined rims. Just wondering if these Syncros ones would fir the bill......

Mucho gusto,

-Que?

Jan 2004

These were stock rims on GT mountain bikes...the old GT

Quote Originally Posted by weather
    have one laced up for my rigid ss front wheel. holding up fine after er... forgot how long, but at least half a year.

a guy on ebay is selling these snappers and the tougher version (called big box) for a good price (but pay attention to the shipping).
    My Avalanche came with Big Boxes. My i-drive came with Lil Snappers. Never had a problem with either. Like you said, the guy is charging $12 bucks for shipping. That is steep. Should cost about half that to ship them.