Syncros Revolution inner crank bolts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Syncros Revolution inner crank bolts

This may have to filed under the "not pretty and not for weight weenies", but it works, and we don't have many options.

I found a binding bolt set, that the dimensions are very close on, but they are SAE. When I checked the barrel diameters with the caliper it measured .001 inch off the original metric bolt. The shoulder height is roughly 6mm instead of 4, the length of the female end is darn near perfect. The main thing that's off is the head thickness and diameter, which still works but like I said it's heavier than the original bolts. These are stainless steel. Since the shoulder bolt end is a little longer I did have to put a washer under the female end to be able to torque it down.

velocipede technician
    safety torx heads..good lord.well at least it'll work.now if i could just find a spider......
    looking for 20-21" P team

He be a moose too.
    I've posted another fix in the past, don't have a reference (on 24k dialup so I can't search right now, but look under my posts for syncros). The fix that I use doesn't use torx heads but requires a dremel tool.

Also, not sure what a 'binding bolt set' is. It would help for others to implement the solution if they could go to a shop and say specifically "I need an XYZ" (I'm not intending to sound critical here). I'm interested in this myself and would like to give it a try and see if it works better than the other method previously posted.

Also, with both of these solutions, it's probably best to use some blue loctite.

Hollister, spiders are available from a place in Switzerland, but only 58/94. If you need this size, PM and I'll look it up when I can.

'Guin

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    I've posted another fix in the past, don't have a reference (on 24k dialup so I can't search right now, but look under my posts for syncros). The fix that I use doesn't use torx heads but requires a dremel tool.

Also, not sure what a 'binding bolt set' is. It would help for others to implement the solution if they could go to a shop and say specifically "I need an XYZ" (I'm not intending to sound critical here). I'm interested in this myself and would like to give it a try and see if it works better than the other method previously posted.

Also, with both of these solutions, it's probably best to use some blue loctite.

Hollister, spiders are available from a place in Switzerland, but only 58/94. If you need this size, PM and I'll look it up when I can.

'Guin
    ah ha! i assume you mean this
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...1&postcount=10

sadly no, i need 74/100. unless somebody wants to trade
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Sorry, guess I shoulda posted the details huh....

Anyway, they were ordered from www.mcmaster.com. Here's the part number and descriptions.

99637A227 18-8 SS COMBINATION DRIVE BINDING FASTENER, BARREL, 5/16" DIAMETER, 3/8" LENGTH

96754A140 TORX PIN-IN-HEAD BINDING FASTENER, SCREW,5/16"DIA X1/4"L SHLDR,1/4"-20THRD,1/4"THRD L

mtbr member
    Sorry to dig this up, but is this still the best solution? I'm looking for these bolts now as a couple of mine have fallen out.

He be a moose too.
    I haven't done the Mcmaster fix but have done the cutdown seatpost bolts that are shown in the other post linked and can tell you that's it's been problelm free for nearly 2 1/2 years. Be sure to use some blue loctite.

The original bolts are seen very infrequently on ebay and go for silly amounts of money, I'll stay with these solutions. I'm not interested in the original bolts for authenticity for the $90 I've seen them go for.

mtbr member
    Awesome...so where's the best source of said seatpost binder bolts? It looks like the campy bolts are $10 each minimum from what I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    I haven't done the Mcmaster fix but have done the cutdown seatpost bolts that are shown in the other post linked and can tell you that's it's been problelm free for nearly 2 1/2 years. Be sure to use some blue loctite.

The original bolts are seen very infrequently on ebay and go for silly amounts of money, I'll stay with these solutions. I'm not interested in the original bolts for authenticity for the $90 I've seen them go for.

He be a moose too.
    They are just a standard 8 mm. seatpost binder bolt. It's possible that not every shop has one in stock but they can order them or the next shop down the road after the first shop will have them.

I bought bolts for $3 each, I think they were Sugino. Just show them a picture and get the dremel tool fired up.

Members who have read this thread: 1