Syncros DS28 VS. DT E540- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Syncros DS28 VS. DT E540

Hi! I've searched all mtbr forums for reviews on both the DS28 and E540 rims. They practically have the same weight (545 grams and 540 respectively), and are around the same pricepoint (at least here in my country). They are both have sleeved joints and, as per the advise of several bikeshops, are perfect for my all mountain setup. If I were to count the times these rim models are mentioned in the forums here, the DS28 would have the edge. However, a dtswiss is still a dtswiss although some may consider the E540 a budget rim. Please help me decide. Once and for all, which is better?! Advantages and disadvantages please. Thanks for all your help.

person
    Also in that category is the Halo Freedom Disc. They're a full blown Freeride rim but still only weigh 545g. I just picked up 2 @ $45 USD each, which is cheaper than either the Syncros or the DT (at least prices I found anyway). I'm getting them back from the shop after getting them built later this week, and I'll post pictures if your interested in seeing them.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

gnuH
    I've ridden the E540s pretty hard on my 575 over the last 6 months and so far so good. Although not top of the line DT, they still look good, are stiff and the wide rim width lets you get the most of of a tyre's width.

Can't comment on the DS28, but Syncros seems to have a good reputation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Halo = Syncros

@Gvegas
    Thanks for the input. If we had Halos here in the Phils, I would definitely go for them as I've heard rumors that the halo freedom disc and the ds28 have the same specs and come from the same taiwan factory, hence the same weigth (545grams) and profile. But we don't have them here. I've seen the anodizing done on the syncros and theyre pretty slick.

@Kiwibiker
    The main thing going for me is the brand really, plus, dt is a european brand and i'd like to stick to the theme as much as I can since I have hope hubs, formula rotors, dt swiss spokes, etc. But I can't stick to it all throughout coz I'm not rich and the euro brands are pretty much more expensive, hahaha. I'll wait for the other posts. Thanks!

not so super...
    The DS28 is a nice rim. I don't have any time on the et540 to compare but I liked my Syncros rims.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    I'd go with Syncros. DT has great reputation when it comes to spokes and most of their hubs, but even the better rims in their product line are relatively soft and take damage easily. Don't let the 'european brand' fools you. I know about what I'm taking about, I live in Europe. Almost.

btw, I've built three or four wheelsets using DS28 rims, and for now all of them are running perfectly (even on bikes whos riders are not tallented ) with no aditional truing after the initial one.
    I'm not a complete idiot, some pieces are missing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Nice one Gremlyn!

I like the part where you said "don't let the eurpoean brnads fool you." Hahaha. Ok then, I will just wait for some more inputs from our fellow mtbikers. Thanks.

Peace & Love
    Have had DS28s and while not E540s, do have 5.1s right now. i would go with the DS28s and in fact regret not getting them instead of the 5.1s

Members who have read this thread: 0