Syncros cro-mo mentals = teh suck!?!- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Syncros cro-mo mentals = teh suck!?!

So I opened up a box from pricepoint today, and boy was I a fool.

I ordered the stainless mentals having heard great things about them and about there being short and long pin sets you could get, etc... I didn't read closely enough or look at pics.

These things don't look as grippy as my ****ing $20 unsealed mosh pedals, and if I'd wanted unreplaceable, cast pins I would have bought a $15 pair of odysseys...

I think I'm sending 'em back, I don't think they'll be that much tougher than a decent set of $60 sealed aluminum pedals, and I sure as **** don't want to be without pedals because I've got to send them back to syncros because I smashed/lost a pin... That's just f'n stupid...

Now after reading syncros' website and pricepoint, there is a discrepancy. Pricepoint has them listed as the stainless mentals and in fact my box says stainless too.

Syncros website shows a different pedal than the one that I got for the stainless, and the cromo shown at syncros are the pedals I got...

Did I get some OEM version or something, and has anyone had any experience with them (should I bother keeping them)? The pins aren't sharp at all, these things don't look very promising...

mtbr member
    Syncros ain't all they used to be.

kona-tize me captain
    yeah man you bought the wrong pedals! you go the cromo's that look like the first pciture your suppose to get the syncros stainless mentals! that look like this. maybe you ordered the right set but they gave you the wrong ones becuase i can tell you i have them and they are the grippiest,strongest, meanest, heaviest pedals made. they have repleacable pins, grease ports etc. i think either u or pricepoint messed up

the first pedal is what u got correct? the second picture is what u want!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
    Syncros ain't all they used to be.
    do you have a set of suncros pedals?, cuase u dont know what your talking about if you are saying they mentals arent the sickest pedals created
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Archdukeferdinand,
    Post a Pict. of the Stainless.
    Here is a Shot of my Magnisiums. I have the Short Pins in them and these peddles are really kick a$$. More than the Cromos but not nearly the cost of the Titaniums.
    Replacible pins will help. I hope this Helps. I think the Cromos only come the way your recieved them without replaceble pins. If you opt to send them back and decide to get the Magnisiums look closely at my photo. You will see the platform webbing is wider than the cromos are. They are light too.
    Good luck,
    MCtigre
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feb 2004
    man, it definitely says stainless on the side of the box and on the pricepoint site and all that jazz...

It ALSO on the side of the syncros box has three little checkboxes that say "factory" "race" and "hardcore" and factory is punched out. I think I must have gotten an OEM version or something.

Here is the link for the pedals I ordered.

Here's the link to the syncros site

Either its that these are the "factory" version of the stainless, or these are the cromos in a stainless box...

Disco-Superfly
    I can easily tell from the pricepoint picture that those pedals suck, and seeing that I would not of ordered....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Outcast
    Archduke, you recieved the wrong pedals. If they didn't come with two different sets of replaceable pins, and simply came with casted nubs, you got the crome-moly ones, not the stainless ones.
    I have the stainless, and they kick ass.

hey, what the!
    I have a set of the stainless..the picture on pricepoint looks wrong.
    the beatings will continue until morale has improved...

Outcast
    Another clue as to the mix up is there is no way a place like pricepoint would sell the stainless ones for 90 bucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    do you have a set of suncros pedals?, cuase u dont know what your talking about if you are saying they mentals arent the sickest pedals created
    Nah, I don't need a set to see they aren't all that.

kona-tize me captain
    Nah, I don't need a set to see they aren't all that.

believe what u want my freind, aside the fact that each pedal weighs as much as a brick they ARE no doubt the gnarliest pedals the ones he recieved are wrong. if you get the RIGHT pedals u will never buy another pedal. i went through 4 sets of pedals before these and these have out lasted all of them

the pedals you ordered are wrong. it wasnt your fault at all. pricepoint put up the stainless mental information and price but not the right picture of the pedal or sent u the right one.u might be able to cut and deal and since it was there fault with the mix up on there website they might sell u the actuall set for a good price!

mtbr member
    aight since yo pimpin the flava flav I give it a try. Sealed bearings or not?

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Another clue as to the mix up is there is no way a place like pricepoint would sell the stainless ones for 90 bucks.

"Clue to the mix up?"

No mix up, pricepoint just has the wrong pedals listed entirely. It says stainless like a million times and even on the syncros brand box that they came in.

The biggest clue is that the pricepoint description claims the pedals have grease ports, as far as I understand, the only mentals with grease ports are the ones with removable pins (the pins cover the ports). No ports anywhere on mine.

No mix up, pricepoint just has bogus info, the pedals pictured aren't even the ones in the description. In fact, from the description, these don't sound like any pedals syncros makes at all.

Just got off the line with pricepoint, bad item description. They'll take 'em back and pay for shipping.

kona-tize me captain
    aight since yo pimpin the flava flav I give it a try. Sealed bearings or not?

Bearings
    The axle is supported by the most advanced pedal axle bearing system on the market. The main load is handled by a 12mm needle bearing. This is supplemented by a 20mm split bearing and 2 additional cartridge bearings.

striaght from the homepage- try to find that in any other pedal they have a total of 4 bearings

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    striaght from the homepage- try to find that in any other pedal they have a total of 4 bearings
    Yeah, I think the stainless with removable pins are probably the ****.

But I have to say that axle aside (which the manufacture looks really nice on), the casting looks like **** on these pedals. One of the thinnest spots where the pedal webbing meets the main shaft is horribly pockmarked and clearly didn't get all filled with metal during the casting.
    If they didn't have a lifetime warranty I'd be returning them for manufacturer's defect as it is.

Members who have read this thread: 0