Syncros cranks or a childrens rattle?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    He be a moose too.
    Reputation: pinguwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,137

    Syncros cranks or a childrens rattle?

    I have a pair of Syncros cranks that are in decent shape, only a very minor bit of surface corrosion, but just noticed that there is something inside the crank arm that is kind of like a rattle when you shake it. Doesn't sound like a lot of stuff, but enough to hear.

    Any idea what this might be? Is this corrosion flaking off and I should be wary of it?

    Pinguwin

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,039
    I don't think you should use them....send them to me for a free comprehensive safety and functionallity test.

  3. #3
    Bird watcher
    Reputation: ckevlar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    878
    Its probably just some welding slag that came loose after some use. Forgetaboutit. If they work for your build run'em.

  4. #4
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,868
    It was not uncommon for people at the factory to slip small headset or spd pedal bearings into the stem extensions or crank arms during welding so they could claim "oh the weld was defective, gonna have to reject this one and throw it in the scrap bin". This is how employees supplemented their income there, by conveniently arranging a large number of rejected parts that'd then be sold to vancouver area folks out of their closets, trunks, etc.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  5. #5
    Bird watcher
    Reputation: ckevlar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    878
    Looks like they have bad juju on them guwin. You know my baby boy need a new rattle.

  6. #6
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,876

    I'm not worried

    my drive side arm rattles a little, if they bust i'm going after the guy that gave em to me with a bat
    looking for 20-21" P team

  7. #7
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    All Canadians are shady.

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  8. #8
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    my drive side arm rattles a little, if they bust i'm going after the guy that gave em to me with a bat

    YEAH! Beat the f outta him!




    ....wait.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  9. #9
    He be a moose too.
    Reputation: pinguwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    All Canadians are shady
    They certainly are. I was travelling in New Zealand with a Canadian. A European said to the Canadian, "I hear that you don't like Americans." The Canuck said, "Yeah! They're fat and arrogant and think they know everything. And they....(and so on)."

    The European then asked me what Americans thought of Candians. I said, "We..don't....think of them."

    So maybe the people are so-so, but the mtb goodies are good :-).

  10. #10
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    YEAH! Beat the f outta him!




    ....wait.
    bolt issue is solved, now i need some decals. i got just the frame to put em on.

    wooden bat or aluminum, choices....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    looking for 20-21" P team

  11. #11
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    They certainly are. I was travelling in New Zealand with a Canadian. A European said to the Canadian, "I hear that you don't like Americans." The Canuck said, "Yeah! They're fat and arrogant and think they know everything. And they....(and so on)."

    The European then asked me what Americans thought of Candians. I said, "We..don't....think of them."

    Haha!


    Actually, all the Canadians I've dealt with have been super cool.

    Canada puts out some of the funniest comedians and even better...most beautiful women.


    ...and then there's D8.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  12. #12
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    bolt issue is solved, now i need some decals. i got just the frame to put em on.

    wooden bat or aluminum, choices....
    How did you fix the bolt/spider problem?
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  13. #13
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    How did you fix the bolt/spider problem?
    chain ring bolts
    looking for 20-21" P team

  14. #14
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    chain ring bolts

    Ooooh. As in standard ones and not the Syncros specific ones?
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  15. #15
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Ooooh. As in standard ones and not the Syncros specific ones?
    bingo

    it was a smack myself in the forehead its so simple kinda moment
    looking for 20-21" P team

  16. #16
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,876
    is my spider on backwards?
    looking for 20-21" P team

  17. #17
    Person
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    is my spider on backwards?
    No, we Canadians like to run the granny ring on the outside.










    I have no idea.

  18. #18
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    No, we Canadians like to run the granny ring on the outside.










    I have no idea.
    crazy canucks

    no granny, road double
    looking for 20-21" P team

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Inigo Montoya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    143
    i'm sorry to say that the rattle effect is caused by rust. i'm currently restoring my revos.
    see http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=383456

  20. #20
    Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: J Ro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    757
    Glad to hear your restoring your Revos. It looks like your doing it right. I didn't have any rattle with mine, so I just painted them and new got new decals. There as good as new.

    Before
    <center>
    <a href="https://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/jeffrou123/?action=view&current=comrev4.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/jeffrou123/comrev4.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a><br /><br />
    <a href="https://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/jeffrou123/?action=view&current=comrev2.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/jeffrou123/comrev2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a><br /><br />
    <a href="https://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/jeffrou123/?action=view&current=comrev3.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/jeffrou123/comrev3.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a><br /><br />
    </center>

    After
    <center>
    <a href="https://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/jeffrou123/?action=view&current=orangeewr1-1.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/jeffrou123/orangeewr1-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a><br /><br />
    <a href="https://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/jeffrou123/?action=view&current=revdec3.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/jeffrou123/revdec3.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a><br /><br />
    </center>
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drag_slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro
    Glad to hear your restoring your Revos. It looks like your doing it right. I didn't have any rattle with mine, so I just painted them and new got new decals. There as good as new.
    Where did you get the new decals?

  22. #22
    Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: J Ro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    757
    check your PM's.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

  23. #23
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,408
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    It was not uncommon for people at the factory to slip small headset or spd pedal bearings into the stem extensions or crank arms during welding so they could claim "oh the weld was defective, gonna have to reject this one and throw it in the scrap bin". This is how employees supplemented their income there, by conveniently arranging a large number of rejected parts that'd then be sold to vancouver area folks out of their closets, trunks, etc.
    wow...
    taht's some strong accusation there.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  24. #24
    one gear
    Reputation: thrashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    39
    if anyone has a set of these for sale please PM me. I need a set for my YO EDDY... I have some cook bros I would trade for them, or just buy them from you. thanks
    By:stickel.com

    Industrynine.net

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.