Stronger: Ritchey WCS vs Syntace F99- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stronger: Ritchey WCS vs Syntace F99

I'm looking to go with a light stem, but I'd like to get the strongest lightweight one. I know, I know, those are two opposite terms. Though I'm not jumping or whatever I'd like to know that the bike can take trail size obstacles.At first glance the Syntace doesn't look as tough as the WCS, but who knows. Really, who knows?

Maromero
    I don't know about the strenght of each of them, but, Syntace customer service is second to no one. I wouldn't change my Syntace for any other stem, of course I only ride XC.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Hands down, SYNTACE on being stronger. Have you seen thier testing machine? Syntace's standards?

Best durability in the business IMO.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

SUBLIM8er
    Has anyone mentioned Syntace yet? I have one on my HT and one on my 29er. I wouldn't trade them for any other stem. Just don't get the Syntace Ti bolt upgrade. Those bolts are crap and overpriced. I broke off three and I was under torque specs. I was on the weight weenies forum and someone else had the same problem. Get some Ti bolts from Racebolts instead if you go the Ti upgrade route.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

I love Pisgah
    I have in service atm..Syntace F99, Ritchey WCS(ti bolts, but the older heavier non-colored model), Ritchey Pro(ti bolts), another Pro, and a Thomson(gosh its heavy). The WCS feels flexier then all of'm. The Syntace has a few 12 hour endurances, Snake Creek Gap TT being 32 miles of endless technical rocks, Firewater 50, 10 or so XC races, and countless rides otherwise. Its a keeper imo.

Heck, I just got back in tonight from a round of a local mtb TT series. Raced the Syntace equiped HT(19.5lb atm), then 2 more rounds on the Spider(23lb atm) with the Ritchey Pro. Hows that for fresh data regarding impressions of stiffness and such? The Syntace feels closer to the more robust Pro(135gms. Also, the Pro uses 6mm bolts which boosts stiffness, but also adds weight). Both are 120s.

Best time was on the HT btw, but only by 20 seconds(aprox 14 minute range). Fast smoothish course tho. HT heaven except for some twisty rooty sections. I had a blast!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

4 Axis> F99> WCS

I have these three in use :

F99 90mm x 6 degrees with 25.4 mm Easton Monkey lite SL 134 grams 610mm wide

Ritchey 4 Axis WCS 100mm x 17 degrees with 31.8 mmRitchey Low Rizer 183 grams carbon bar cut down to
    620 mm

F99 105mm x 6 Degree with a 25.4mm Easton Monkey lite SL 134 Grams 610mm wide

1st Ritchey 4 Axis 31.8mm bar
    2nd F99 with 25.4 mm bar

I think the New ritchey 4 Axis along with the heavier and larger Diameter bar as a package feels stiffer !

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    I have in service atm..Syntace F99, Ritchey WCS(ti bolts, but the older heavier non-colored model), Ritchey Pro(ti bolts), another Pro, and a Thomson(gosh its heavy). The WCS feels flexier then all of'm. The Syntace has a few 12 hour endurances, Snake Creek Gap TT being 32 miles of endless technical rocks, Firewater 50, 10 or so XC races, and countless rides otherwise. Its a keeper imo.

Heck, I just got back in tonight from a round of a local mtb TT series. Raced the Syntace equiped HT(19.5lb atm), then 2 more rounds on the Spider(23lb atm) with the Ritchey Pro. Hows that for fresh data regarding impressions of stiffness and such? The Syntace feels closer to the more robust Pro(135gms. Also, the Pro uses 6mm bolts which boosts stiffness, but also adds weight). Both are 120s.

Best time was on the HT btw, but only by 20 seconds(aprox 14 minute range). Fast smoothish course tho. HT heaven except for some twisty rooty sections. I had a blast!

Nice Spider, Duckman. OT: According to Intense the FRO Spider will be built in Oct. They will not have a demo program.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    Nice Spider, Duckman. OT: According to Intense the FRO Spider will be built in Oct. They will not have a demo program.
    So far I like the Spider. It handles like a dream. But, lets see if the lower pivots explode over the next few months.

FRO-Are you trying to tempt me? Bunch a dang gearheads.

..must..maintain..control..

Members who have read this thread: 0