Stem & Seatposts-Need real life input on X2, Syntace Seatpost, Ritchey WCS...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stem & Seatposts-Need real life input on X2, Syntace Seatpost, Ritchey WCS...

I'm looking at buying the following for my technical XC / All Mountain riding on my Burner. I'm 220 all loaded up and each ride could go between XC and highly technical with up to 2' drops., So...

Thomson X2 instead of X4- does anyone have this application on their steed?

Syntace CF P6 seatpost- any real life comments as to stiffness/longevity, etc? (I need something at 350mm or longer, and already have a 410mm Thomson and would like to lighten up)

Ritchey WCS 4 Axis Stem- is this too flexy for this app? Does anyone have this on their bike?

Thanks
    SBob
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    I'm looking at buying the following for my technical XC / All Mountain riding on my Burner. I'm 220 all loaded up and each ride could go between XC and highly technical with up to 2' drops., So...

Thomson X2 instead of X4- does anyone have this application on their steed?

Syntace CF P6 seatpost- any real life comments as to stiffness/longevity, etc? (I need something at 350mm or longer, and already have a 410mm Thomson and would like to lighten up)

Ritchey WCS 4 Axis Stem- is this too flexy for this app? Does anyone have this on their bike?
    Considering your weigth and the length of the seatpost you require, the Thomson is the best you can do. I wouldn't go for anything lighter if I where you! I find the Ritchey WCS stems too flexy and I only weigh 165.

mtbr member
    Any seatpost other than a thomson is a downgrade.

Especially at your weight - why would you be looking to save something like 20 grams?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller
    Any seatpost other than a thomson is a downgrade.

Especially at your weight - why would you be looking to save something like 20 grams?

Actually my current Thomson 27.2 410mm is 293 g vs the Syntace 400mm is 213g. So the difference is sizable.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a wcs stem on my cross country bike and im trying to get it very light. I havent noticed any flex but maybe thats just me; it comes in at 97 grams for the 90mm version. Im 165 pounds. I dont have any experience with the 4 axis I have the regular 2 clamp. The clamping on the wcs is wonderful; the clamps have a grove on the bottom that dig into the stem so the pressure is not on the bolts. The only weakness I can see in the stem is rotational torque. Alot of people complain about the bolts protruding though the thread holes but I prefer this it keeps the water out.

For my other bike enduro 05 im going to get a thomson stem, for strength and fair wieght. The azonic hammer stem I have on the bike is a bit too crazy heavy and short (its going on my p.2). Currently ive upgraded the seatpost on my enduro to a thomson from a ritchey expert seatpost (candy cane style). The only reason was so I could drop the seat all the way down for technical downhills and I havent noticed a difference at all in stiffness.

mtbr member
    SLX- what do you mean 'rotational torque'? Is that when you pull up on one side and down on the other side of your bars that its flimsy? I'll have to check out the regular 2 clamp version.
    Thanks
    MBB47

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    At your weight if you are doing any drops it would be foolish to go extra light. These are components where failure could be catastrophic. Get the Thomson post (mtn) and X4 stem. The X2 is too light for the application..... don't even consider it...and you'll never notice the difference in weight.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    SLX- what do you mean 'rotational torque'? Is that when you pull up on one side and down on the other side of your bars that its flimsy? I'll have to check out the regular 2 clamp version.
    Thanks
    MBB47
    Yea thats what I mean. I dont have any problems with it at all but it is the only think that i am worried about.

Members who have read this thread: 0