Spam: NOS Judy SL. Syncros, S-works Thermoplastic for sale on MTBR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Spam: NOS Judy SL. Syncros, S-works Thermoplastic for sale on MTBR

Check out some NOS stuff I have for sale on MTBR classifieds and that auction site.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...exact_match=on

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Holey Ridiculous Price batman.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Help me understand your logic.... This fork new was 879 CAD, now I want 450 CAD for it and it is STILL NEW IN THE BOX. Asking half of retail for a hard to find brand new part is hardly ridiculous.

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by peteypete
    Help me understand your logic.... This fork new was 879 CAD, now I want 450 CAD for it and it is STILL NEW IN THE BOX. Asking half of retail for a hard to find brand new part is hardly ridiculous.
    back then there was a market for these forks but nowadays, unfortunately (for the seller), there's not much interest in such a fork. Not even NOS Judy FSXs (the much rarer Specialized carbon version) fetch close to your starting bid. But maybe you are lucky...

Carsten

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Agreed, you can ask whatever you like, but did you do any market research to determine if the market will bear that pricing? I love old stuff, and eBay is a great resource, but I find I have better luck seeing what completed listings tell me, and starting the bids at like $50, and letting it go at whatever it goes for. If you can't bear the thought of selling it that way, you have to much in it mentally, keep it and ride it. Bigger issue is, those cartridges blew up on about the 10 ride, and finding one of those could prove very difficult. Who wants to pay $400 for a fork that will surely die quickly, be unfixable, and it's not even a more sought after 1" steerer. Most will buy a newer, more reliable fork for about the same price, or even less. I'm not busting on you, just sharing my thoughts. Good luck!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    First, the fork should have the alloy cartridge - not the plastic one, as the fork is a 1996, not a 1995 - so it should be a lot more reliable. Second, finding parts for judy's has been pretty easy for me in the past. Third, I honestly hadn't even contemplated someone actually riding the fork - seems too perfect to get dirty.

First, the fork should have the alloy cartridge - not the plastic one, as the fork is a 1996, not a 1995 - so it should be a lot more reliable. Second, finding parts for judy's has been pretty easy for me in the past. Third, I honestly hadn't even contemplated someone actually riding the fork - seems too perfect to get dirty.

Ha! If they never ride it, it'll be fine, just need to find that one lusty Japanese investment banker who desperately needs this to finish his latest project= As for alloy carts, they helped a bit, but not enough, still blew up frequently. Even the White Bros upgrade ones we sold blew up, then along came TPC, open bath, and the likes, the world has never been the same since.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

artistic...
    if you could produce a one in crown/steerer then your game would be more interesting. is the 96 crown removable?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    1" Crown/Steerer eh?.....

New prices are meaningless for an ten year old fork with a hit and miss reliability record, production in the tens of thousands of units means its not even slightly rare, and with a 1 1/8" steerer the demand is even lower. You're like those bike stores around ottawa who still expect to get $100 for a syncros seatpost or syncros quill stem, that's been sitting in the display case on the same shelf for 14 years now, just because they say syncros on 'em.

I just bought a NOS syncros post from a canadian dealer on ebay last week... it had the original packaging still with the old price tags on it. The tags said $139.99, then another was $89.99. I paid $16cdn.

As others have pointed out, plenty of better choices on ebay to set the value by...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RockShox-Judy-SL...QQcmdZViewItem

There's a perfect example, a NOS 98/99 Judy SL long-travel, for $46US.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Awesome score on the syncros post I have seen syncros stuff go for 5 times that. However, you are crazy if you are comparing that Judy to the one I am selling - the black one doesn't even rate in collectability compared to the yellow one.

Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    is the 96 crown removable?
    Yup, totally swappable

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Uhhhh

None of them rate in collectability

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    None of them rate in collectability
    I agree, sorry. Shayne, check your PM's

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Yup, totally swappable
    I don't think that it is on the Judy SL. On the other Judy models it was. Removing those bolts was part of making the fork lighter.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

The Early SL's Were

I'm not sure what year they ditched the bolts (96-97?) but one of the SL features was Ti crown bolts.
    I had a '95 that had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    t one of the SL features was Ti crown bolts.
    I had a '95 that had them.
    That's what I was thinking when I said yes. I guess it would be more accurate to say, if it's a bolted crown, they are swappable!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Carsten
    pretty obvious on the photo that his one already has the press-fit crown, isnt it? would of course still be possible to swap the crowns by cutting this one off or replacing the crown/stanchion unit.

Carsten

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Yup, totally swappable
    That one appears to have a press fit crown, you can see in the pic the crown isn't split - so you'd need to swap the whole of the uppers. I have a '96 that has the alloy cartridge, but has a one inch threaded bolt up Judy XC steerer, so it would fit my Klein Pinnacle. I think the SL only came out with a 1 1/8th threadless alloy steerer.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I just bought a NOS syncros post from a canadian dealer on ebay last week... it had the original packaging still with the old price tags on it. The tags said $139.99, then another was $89.99. I paid $16cdn.

oh man, that's cheap. a ti one NOS (early 90's version?) on ebay just went for $230 US.

Awesome score on the syncros post I have seen syncros stuff go for 5 times that. However, you are crazy if you are comparing that Judy to the one I am selling - the black one doesn't even rate in collectability compared to the yellow one.
    That era Judy SL is not something a collector really looks for. As pointed out already, the even more desirable Future Shox Judy FSX carbons, isn't even worth as much as you expect to get as an opening bid. Additionally since its an elastomer fork... and even unused the elastomers do degrade with time, yeah that's really helping with its value.

Nevermind the fact you can build a 96 Judy SL from parts available on ebay for about $50.
    Last edited by DeeEight; 12-14-2006 at 08:57 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0