Ritchey WCS stem - color vs. b/w flag- Mtbr.com
    On your left.
    Jan 2004

Ritchey WCS stem - color vs. b/w flag

I really like my WCS stem. I installed it before weighing it and have enjoyed it for almost a year now. While going through the bolt tuning exercise I decided to weigh it - 162g (130mm - btw, Ti bolts will save about 15g). Is there a difference in weight of the black/white flag (strips before WCS printed on the stem) and the color flag? If the color flag version weighs down around 120g, then I'll probably do that, otherwise the options are the spindley Syntace or expensive Extralite.
    M

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Colored flag is the newer and lighter version of the stem. It's around 115-120 for the 120mm length stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

spindley ouch

spindley, that hurts.....have you ridden the F 99 stem? Just wondering. Most people dont think it is very flexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    I really like my WCS stem. I installed it before weighing it and have enjoyed it for almost a year now. While going through the bolt tuning exercise I decided to weigh it - 162g (130mm - btw, Ti bolts will save about 15g). Is there a difference in weight of the black/white flag (strips before WCS printed on the stem) and the color flag? If the color flag version weighs down around 120g, then I'll probably do that, otherwise the options are the spindley Syntace or expensive Extralite.
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

On your left.
    Jan 2004

I did buy one

I installed an F99 stem originally and thought, wow, that's going to be distracting thinking about it breaking or feeling it flex. I never rode it and I traded it in for the WCS, which has been great. I assumed the WCS was similar in weight, not. Turns out the new WCS stem is close in weight.

So, I'm going to be buying a new stem - maybe you could convince me why I should go back to the F99. It would be the 135mm and a monkeylite SL bar will be mounted in it; I'm 6'4", weigh 185lb.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    spindley, that hurts.....have you ridden the F 99 stem? Just wondering. Most people dont think it is very flexy.
    M

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Syntace

You never rode the stem and you are acalling it flexy and spindly come on man, dont bash it until you have at least tried it.
    We have very high test standards, check out one of out testing machines, you can see the stem not flexing at all. http://www.syntaceusa.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1163
    From what I understand the Ritchey stem is heavier than listed, our weights are real weights, I will stand behind our printed weights anytime. Strength to weight ratio can not be beaten.
    Basically the Syntace F-99 stem is lighter, stronger and stiffer.

The 200 degree clamp (around the handlebars) will also support thebar better. You get increased bar strength and fatigue life without any extra weight.

On top of all that I dont know another component anyone else offering a 10 year warranty!

]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

Feb 2004
    IMO, the Syntace F99 is the perfect stem. The price makes it a no brainer decision.

mtbr member
    Alright Skip,

SOLD! Game over. I'm buying a Syntace.

Good on ya for getting in here and joining the discussion.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    I bought a Ritchey WCS first, then got a F99.

But first a little history. Got a Ritchey Pro off E-bay for minimal cash, came in at a decent 155g. So decided to get a Ritchey WCS for <b>more</b> than minimal cash. It came in at 162g. Advertised 120ish grams. Very unhappy. Local Bike Shop wouldn't refund money. So I have an expensive stem sitting around never used because the manufacturer could not keep to their specs.

I then bought a Syntace F99 from Dirt Boy at www.light-bikes.com and he weighed it so I wouldn't make the same stupid mistake twice (trusting company claims). It weighed 122g and still sits on the front of my dually. I could have gone with ti bolts and made it even lighter.

I'm 6'0" and weigh 200 pounds. I ride XC. No complaints with flex on a Ventana Frame and a Marz fork on the front. I'm riding a 130mm stem.

I'd buy a Syntace over a Ritchey right now.

JmZ

I installed an F99 stem originally and thought, wow, that's going to be distracting thinking about it breaking or feeling it flex. I never rode it and I traded it in for the WCS, which has been great. I assumed the WCS was similar in weight, not. Turns out the new WCS stem is close in weight.

So, I'm going to be buying a new stem - maybe you could convince me why I should go back to the F99. It would be the 135mm and a monkeylite SL bar will be mounted in it; I'm 6'4", weigh 185lb.

Thanks,
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

On your left.
    Jan 2004

do you ride the 120mm or 135mm?

Syntace does not list a 130mm F99.

Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    I bought a Ritchey WCS first, then got a F99.

But first a little history. Got a Ritchey Pro off E-bay for minimal cash, came in at a decent 155g. So decided to get a Ritchey WCS for more than minimal cash. It came in at 162g. Advertised 120ish grams. Very unhappy. Local Bike Shop wouldn't refund money. So I have an expensive stem sitting around never used because the manufacturer could not keep to their specs.

I then bought a Syntace F99 from Dirt Boy at www.light-bikes.com and he weighed it so I wouldn't make the same stupid mistake twice (trusting company claims). It weighed 122g and still sits on the front of my dually. I could have gone with ti bolts and made it even lighter.

I'm 6'0" and weigh 200 pounds. I ride XC. No complaints with flex on a Ventana Frame and a Marz fork on the front. I'm riding a 130mm stem.

I'd buy a Syntace over a Ritchey right now.

JmZ
    M

On your left.
    Jan 2004

thanks for the reply

The F99 does look spindly. You can't argue that considering it is so light. I never said it is flexy, but it was a concern when I mounted it, I admit that is splitting hairs, but I never insulted your product. Nevertheless, thanks for the reply. I think you convinced me. My plan is to go to a local shop over the weekend and weigh a 130mm WCS stem - if it isn't under 125g, then I'll get the 135mm F99 from light-bikes.

BTW, I do appreciate your website - you clearly take pride in what you do, now go make a 350g set of forged crank arms ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    You never rode the stem and you are acalling it flexy and spindly come on man, dont bash it until you have at least tried it.
    We have very high test standards, check out one of out testing machines, you can see the stem not flexing at all. http://www.syntaceusa.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1163
    From what I understand the Ritchey stem is heavier than listed, our weights are real weights, I will stand behind our printed weights anytime. Strength to weight ratio can not be beaten.
    Basically the Syntace F-99 stem is lighter, stronger and stiffer.

The 200 degree clamp (around the handlebars) will also support thebar better. You get increased bar strength and fatigue life without any extra weight.

On top of all that I dont know another component anyone else offering a 10 year warranty!

M

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Syntace does not list a 130mm F99.
    Sorry, been awhile since I got the stem. It's the 135mm.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Thanks GUYS!

Hey guys!

-Eurorider, Thanks for the Support!!

-dualsport650, GREAT...Please let me know what you think of the product once you have some time on it!

-motivated, You are right you never did insult the prodcut, and I didnt mean to make you think I thought you did. Sometimes is difficult to get a point across on a forum. I just wanted to get my point across. Im glad that you like the website and I'll see what we can do about the cranks!!!! I would love to do that!

-JMz, I love hearing that!!! ROCK ON!!!

If anyone has any questions or need any Syntace info, please feel free to contact me! I want to hear from you guys and know what you think about the product and what we can to do improve!

Thanks
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    While I consider the F99 to be a great stem, here is what I have to say about the WCS stems.

I have had 4 WCS stems. First there is the V2 (I think) with the B & W graphics and the one piece face plate with the step on one end. These were no where near the claimed weight and matter of fact not much less than the PROs (for the record ~155g 110mm). Then I brought one with the colour flag around the steer tube (ie V3 graphics) but still the same old one piece face plate. That weigh the same as the one with the B & W graphics and physically looks the same too (other than the graphics).

Then came the one with the two piece face plates (if you could call them that) and colour flag and they are very light indeed. My 100mm stem for non OS bar weigh just under 100g and the 110mm just over. While they are not the stiffest, they have been ok for me.

I love Pisgah
    Been racing a Ritchey Pro(120mm) with ti bolts for a few years. Just replaced it with a Syntace 120mm F99. Put almost 30 miles on it yesterday over the same course that I'd raced the Pro just 2 weeks ago, as well as many other times. Can't tell any difference, which was sorta a surprise. In contrast, I could really tell when going from a RF Deus back to a WCS(black and white), or then again to the Pro. Always.

The 200 degree faceplate/bar clamping area deal with the Syntace makes since. Puts less load on the 2 piece faceplate/bolts with more going to the stem itself. I will be racing it next season. fwiw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Thanks

Hey Duckman,

Im glad that you like your stem and its great that you understand and see the benifits of the 200 degree clamp!
    I hope you have a great seson next year!

Rock on!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Been racing a Ritchey Pro(120mm) with ti bolts for a few years. Just replaced it with a Syntace 120mm F99. Put almost 30 miles on it yesterday over the same course that I'd raced the Pro just 2 weeks ago, as well as many other times. Can't tell any difference, which was sorta a surprise. In contrast, I could really tell when going from a RF Deus back to a WCS(black and white), or then again to the Pro. Always.

The 200 degree faceplate/bar clamping area deal with the Syntace makes since. Puts less load on the 2 piece faceplate/bolts with more going to the stem itself. I will be racing it next season. fwiw.
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't comment on the Ritchey stuff since I've never tried it but I have a 105 mm Syntace 99 on my road bike that weighs 97g with ti Bolts. I like it so much I will be buying an F99 for the Mountain bike. I don't have any flexing worries based on what I have seen. I havea friend that has one on his racer X and loves it.

Members who have read this thread: 0