Ritchey WCS Carbon seatpost 34.9 mm- Mtbr.com

Aug 2005

Ritchey WCS Carbon seatpost 34.9 mm

Oh boy i did it now... i went in the local shop tonight just to look at the 2006 Scott Scale 10's and they had a new 2005 Scott Scale 20 still on the floor after some discussion and haggling i ended up saving $3000 by going with the 05 Scale 20 instead of the 06' Scale 10.

anyway with the funds that i've saved i'll be able to get some chi-chi lighter weight stuff and after lurking on the "save some weight" forum this evening and reading i'm considering the Stan's ztr Olympic disc with dt-swiss 240 disc hubs wheel set and the sram X.0 shifter and rear der. transmission and magura marta sl brakes upgrades.

now where i'm running in to a snag is cockpit i'm gonna get a FSA carbon flat bar (i like the width) and a Ritchey WCS stem and Ritchey WCS carbon post or so i thought...OK where can one find a Ritchey WCS Carbon seat post 34.9 mm ?

i have searched high and low to find ANY seat post thats 34.9mm anyone know where i can find the Ritchey 34.9mm secret seat post stash?

MTB Ninja
    Feb 2004
    You'll probably need to go through Scott to get it. Not too many bikes come with that seatpost.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankBooth
    Oh boy i did it now... i went in the local shop tonight just to look at the 2006 Scott Scale 10's and they had a new 2005 Scott Scale 20 still on the floor after some discussion and haggling i ended up saving $3000 by going with the 05 Scale 20 instead of the 06' Scale 10.

anyway with the funds that i've saved i'll be able to get some chi-chi lighter weight stuff and after lurking on the "save some weight" forum this evening and reading i'm considering the Stan's ztr Olympic disc with dt-swiss 240 disc hubs wheel set and the sram X.0 shifter and rear der. transmission and magura marta sl brakes upgrades.

now where i'm running in to a snag is cockpit i'm gonna get a FSA carbon flat bar (i like the width) and a Ritchey WCS stem and Ritchey WCS carbon post or so i thought...OK where can one find a Ritchey WCS Carbon seat post 34.9 mm ?

i have searched high and low to find ANY seat post thats 34.9mm anyone know where i can find the Ritchey 34.9mm secret seat post stash?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankBooth
    hey, congrats for the nice bike you got!

now with the seatpost you have several options:
    Ritchey WCS 34.9/400 : 221g
    Shannon Carbon 34.9/400 : 234g
    Schmolke : ca. 120-140g
    AX-Lightness: ca. 120-140g

BUT by using a shim you can use whatever 31,6mm seatpost out there. i just went to a local mechanic and he did a nice teflon shim for me (34.9/31,6 x 80mm). that weighs 18g. or you can get such a shim from Extralite (at 90mm lenght it weighs ca. 22g)

there's a much better choice of lightweight 31.6 seatposts. just add ca. 20g for a shim and you are done. optically you don't notice the thickness difference that much (see pic of my saddle+post below). i personally don't like that extremely thick 34.9 size. the slimmer 31.6 looks better.

my setup weighs 155g:
    31.6/350 New Ultimate seatpost : 137g
    shim: 18g

you will find some nice Scale builds here:
    http://light-bikes.com/BikeGallery/B...ct.asp?catid=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nino; 12-17-2005 at 02:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Congrats on the sweet bike and the deal!
    Not really on Topic, but could you post some Pics, I'd love to see your ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm sorry, probably not that much use for you as they only ship to the UK, but http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...4948&UberCat=0

If you really want I guess I could get one for you and ship it out, but you're then paying UK rip off prices, when it should be a lot cheaper in the US (I presume that's where you are).

Nino - does your Scale frame come with the same note my Genius did, which says "only for seatposts with 34.9 diameter - no reducer shims / adapters?" I can't particularly see why it should be a problem, but then as the frame came with a WCS carbon seatpost, tempted just to stick with that and not risk it, given whilst I'm a weight weenie, my bike is also designed to stand up to real riding, hence the weight target of <23lbs, and given that I had an Easton post of very similar weight in my Strike due to the need for the setback, which you don't get with ultralite posts (but I suspect I won;t need with the Genius as the effective seat angle is a bit slacker I think).

banned

sticker...

Quote Originally Posted by chrism
    I'm sorry, probably not that much use for you as they only ship to the UK, but http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...4948&UberCat=0

If you really want I guess I could get one for you and ship it out, but you're then paying UK rip off prices, when it should be a lot cheaper in the US (I presume that's where you are).

Nino - does your Scale frame come with the same note my Genius did, which says "only for seatposts with 34.9 diameter - no reducer shims / adapters?" I can't particularly see why it should be a problem, but then as the frame came with a WCS carbon seatpost, tempted just to stick with that and not risk it, given whilst I'm a weight weenie, my bike is also designed to stand up to real riding, hence the weight target of <23lbs, and given that I had an Easton post of very similar weight in my Strike due to the need for the setback, which you don't get with ultralite posts (but I suspect I won;t need with the Genius as the effective seat angle is a bit slacker I think).
    yes-my frames (CR1 and Scale alike) had this sticker.. i guess this is to reduce the risk of people putting aluminium shims with sharp edges which could ruin the carbon weaves inside the seattube. i use plastic shims, no problems at all.

jceahodges

Smile New Ultimate Seatpost

Nino

I've been looking for lightweight seatpost as well, but in 27.2 x 350. I've looked hard at the U.S.E. and Ritchey offerings and also the Thomson Masterpiece, but that New Ultimate looks great and is the lightest I've seen. I can't find much on it/company... where do you get info and/or buy them? Thanks!!!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jceahodges
    Nino

I've been looking for lightweight seatpost as well, but in 27.2 x 350. I've looked hard at the U.S.E. and Ritchey offerings and also the Thomson Masterpiece, but that New Ultimate looks great and is the lightest I've seen. I can't find much on it/company... where do you get info and/or buy them? Thanks!!!
    well - have a look at my red signature below --> send me a PM

the 27.2/350 weighs 127g
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

wow

I have to say I think the Scott Scale is my DREAM bike!! Thats a beauty for sure!

FYI, Syntace is doing a 34.9 carbon post.. it will be availible soon.....weight will be around 270 ish....still working on gettng it a little lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    well - have a look at my red signature below --> send me a PM

the 27.2/350 weighs 127g
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

Aug 2005
    well thanks for the info but i went the easy route and just got the Ritchey WCS Carbon in the 34.9 size ($220 and that includes shipping) I'm not to wild about shims and the moron that built my bike put grease on the stock post i couldn't figure out why the post was slipping on my first ride till i got back to the truck and pulled the post out.

anyway i fixed it with a combo of lotta cleaning the post and cleaning out the seat tube then rubbing sidewalk chalk on the post and inside the seat tube and vola' problem solved.

I'm in the process of getting the bike how i like it so far i got the seatpost mentioned along with a ritchey wcs stem and FSA carbon flat bars i like the 600mm size and I've put on a selle italia flite seat instead of the stock selle italia slr that came on the bike I'll deal with the extra weight for a bit of comfort.

i was kicking around the idea of avid juicy 7 brakes instead of magura martas but i like the martas on my last bike and I'll probably go with the stock set up martas rather than the SL's once again a few ounces isn't that big of a deal to me.

the shifting will be sram X.0 gripshift yeah the new triggers are nice but i just like the grip shift better and I'll go with the medium cage X.0 rear der. to keep everything sram I'll get that new pg-990 cassette and a high end pc-990 sram chain.

the wheels are tricky since I've only had mavic crossmax wheels since 98 in all their incarnations from the originals to the first UST's to the SL's disc they are nice wheels but i think i can do better i was gung-ho about some chris kings but the price is just too silly so I'm thinking about some DT swiss 240's disc built on some mavic 819's with some kenda karma dtc's for rubber.

the stock shimano XT stuff is nice however i just don't like the "flipper" shifting and my magura martas on my old bike were much better brakes in my opinion and the stock scott usa manx tires flat out suck.

my goal isn't to build some crazy light rig but to get a nice fast durable XC race bike as the bike sits today with my ODI lock on grips and 2001 Time ATAC Ti pedals it weighs in at 23.6 lbs on the bike shop digital scale if i could get a pound off that I'd be quite happy.

I'm open to suggestions and will post a few pix of the finished product in the next coming weeks once i have all the goodies.
    Last edited by FrankBooth; 12-25-2005 at 11:54 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0