Ritchey WCS Carbon riser bars breakage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Ritchey WCS Carbon riser bars breakage

Hi,

I just bought the 31.8mm Ritchey WCS riser carbon bars and found the carbon material at the ends extremely thin! I was told not to cut the bars. I noticed that other carbon bars were thicker at least the ends. I am a bit reluctant now to use them on the trails fearing the worst might happen. Anyone using these bars had them broken during a ride? Thx!!

mtbr member
    i have been running those bars for 2 seasons and no problem. I had them cut down about an inch on each end.
    Join For Free Beginner Bicycle ,new social network for new cyclists. Win $140 Giro Sunglasses. Videos, Contests, Events.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I personally like the Syncros and RaceFace bars that seem to be more beefy. I don't think the Ritchey bars are necessarily weak but a bit more beef in carbon bars makes me feel better. If you cut your bars, there will be less leverage and it will only feel stiffer and stronger.

I liked the Eastons too but that company does not have its act together right now, nor has it for a year or so.

Oct 2005
    Has Easton been that bad recently?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I don't know if you caught this in the DH forum, but it's pretty interesting, well worth the read. All in all, it seems that Ritchey seemed to score the poorest when tested against Easton, FSA, Raeface, Syncros, Specialized, Syntace, USE, and Truvativ.

http://www.raceface.com/components/P...BarsReview.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, they have seen a lot of upheaval at the corporate and supplier levels (merge/buyout by Bell, I believe). Tons of people were fired and replaced by incompetent ones or something like that. They seem to perpetually have a "carbon shortage" they run up against and stop producing their bars. They also have not responded to sevral emails regarding warranty issues (my emails and several others people I know).

The people you talk to there seem like they never managed to get past 6th grade. They don't know much, have no decision-making authority, and generally have no clue. They used to be a great operation, which makes it sad. Maybe things will get better. They really had thier act together a couple of years ago and then when they merged with or were bought by Bell (I think it's Bell) things just went down the drain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great test and I'm really glad you posted this article here. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    I don't know if you caught this in the DH forum, but it's pretty interesting, well worth the read. All in all, it seems that Ritchey seemed to score the poorest when tested against Easton, FSA, Raeface, Syncros, Specialized, Syntace, USE, and Truvativ.

http://www.raceface.com/components/P...BarsReview.pdf
    I sent an email to Ritchey about this article and all they had to say was "don't believe everything you read...warranty issues are the retailers' concerns" A typical reply from companies with no corporate social responsibilty or unaware of the concept. Disappointing from a company that's been a "pioneer" in the industry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Syncros is now owned by Ritchey but thier bars seem to be stronger and also built in a separate factory (for now). Ritchey needs to get moving here. They need to update their tires, stems, handlebars, and whatever else they do. If you want a nice carbon bar, get thh Syncros before Ritchey screws that up too. I'm putting them in the Bucket of Shame along with Easton.

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    I bought not too long ago a Truvativ Team Carbon Riser Bar...and the same article was thrown at me saying Truvativ did not pass the test either... Now I'm paranoid to go riding...

Anyone out there have a Truvativ Team Carbon break on them...? Or any other bar mentioned in this article?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by joekmlee
    I sent an email to Ritchey about this article and all they had to say was "don't believe everything you read...warranty issues are the retailers' concerns" A typical reply from companies with no corporate social responsibilty or unaware of the concept. Disappointing from a company that's been a "pioneer" in the industry.
    at least they replied.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Members who have read this thread: 0