Ritchey WCS Carbon, FSA K-Foace Carbon or Thomson?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2005

Ritchey WCS Carbon, FSA K-Foace Carbon or Thomson?

Hello,

I'm about to change my seatpost, stem and handlebars (flatbar). I ride XC training about 3 times a week and I want to get into some racing.

What would you pick (and why)?

Ritchey WCS Carbon
    FSA K-Force Carbon
    Thomsen (stem and seatpost) + a carbon handlebar (FSA, RaceFace, Easton - you name it)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MathiasDK
    Hello,

I'm about to change my seatpost, stem and handlebars (flatbar). I ride XC training about 3 times a week and I want to get into some racing.

Ritchey WCS Carbon
    FSA K-Force Carbon
    Thomsen (stem and seatpost) + a carbon handlebar (FSA, RaceFace, Easton - you name it)
    For bars probably Easton, they seem to be the most proven. If you are into reading websites Ritchey gives the most compelling reasons to buy their stuff or at least the prettier pictures. If you are doing this for weight saving reasons avoid the OS 31.8 stuff they are heavier and more expensive than their 25.4 counterparts. If you are doing this for more bling use OS 31.8 bars, they do look nice.

Seatpost; thomsom, they are proven and if you are in this for ww reasons spring for one of the masterpiece posts.

I dig the stiffness from Thomson Elite stems but they are heavy. At 125 grams (140 actual) Raceface Deus Xc seem nice, i have never rode one so i can't comment on their stiffness.

Mar 2006
    I llke The Ritchey WCS stems. For bars and post I would go with the FSA K-force.

I have used all these products without any porblems.

BTW: I'm 6' 2.76" at 250lbs

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    If I was a light weight XC racing whippet Iíd be running the Ritchey WCS gear. Iíve only ever used their bars, but they were freakishly light. Maybe too light if youíre riding some pretty heavy trails? Not sure on that one, it would depend on your weight and riding style I think.

If youíre a bit heavier on your gear, then I think the FSA K-force stuff would suit you very well. No experience whatsoever, but after some serious reading Iíve just kitted out my race rig with FSA stuff and Iím looking forward to hitting the trails.

If youíre a heavy rider, or ride some pretty heavy trails, then maybe it would be wise to go for the Thomson steam and seatpost, with the FSA bar. The Thomson gear is bomb proof, and the FSA bar is more then up for the task.

Dave.

May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MathiasDK
    Hello,

Ritchey WCS Carbon
    FSA K-Force Carbon

Thomson Thomson Thomson Thomson Thomson

Sep 2005
    unless you're a real clyde or absolute weightweenie, any of them would be ideal (though thomson don't offer bars).

i have a thomson Elite post and X4 stem on my HT, and the build quality and (perceived) strength are impressive.

on my FS i have FSA K-Force SB25 seatpost and Carbon Pro stem (with Giant carbon flatbars). my roadbikes also feature a K-Force seatpost and OS-115 (31.8mm) stem.

i love the FSA components. very high quality of finish, and again, perceived strength is impressive. so if you want 'high gloss carbon finish', FSA gear is hard to pass up on. for alloy, thomson has it made.

your choice may also be dictated by the seatpost diameter you need. FSA, for example, has a limited range.

Rollin' a fatty
    Thomson

mtbr member
    another vote for thomson

Members who have read this thread: 0