Ritchey Tom Slicks- Mtbr.com

Apr 2006

Ritchey Tom Slicks

I just ordered a pair of the 1.4s with kevlar bead The reviews on them are pretty mixed... Some say they got flats constantly, others said they had them for a couple years with no flats.. If anyone here has had them, what was your experience with them?

I am hoping firt off that they are not prone to flats, but maybe someone here had flat problems with them, and found a solution for curing them...

also... How are tire liners? I have been told that if I put them in the slicks it will feel like I am riding on solid rubber....

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    My girlfriend has had these (steel bead though) on her commuter for the last 3 years. She rides to work 1 or 2 times a week all through the summer. Probably has about 1000 miles (just a guess) no flats and they are probably about 1/2 worn. She's light ~125 and rides with them at about 65psi instead of the suggested max of 85. I would recommend against running tire liners. Use true-goo or slime tubes if you have a lots of thorns in your area.

Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    My girlfriend has had these (steel bead though) on her commuter for the last 3 years. She rides to work 1 or 2 times a week all through the summer. Probably has about 1000 miles (just a guess) no flats and they are probably about 1/2 worn. She's light ~125 and rides with them at about 65psi instead of the suggested max of 85. I would recommend against running tire liners. Use true-goo or slime tubes if you have a lots of thorns in your area.

It is encouraging to hear that she has gone that long without flatting. I have 100lbs on her though... I would imagine that makes it more likely for me to flat...

True goo are rated very poorly, I have heard good things about Panaracer Flat away kevlar tire liners. I can get them for around $11.. I think for that price I will give those a try..

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by massmang
    I just ordered a pair of the 1.4s with kevlar bead The reviews on them are pretty mixed... Some say they got flats constantly, others said they had them for a couple years with no flats.. If anyone here has had them, what was your experience with them?

I am hoping firt off that they are not prone to flats, but maybe someone here had flat problems with them, and found a solution for curing them...

also... How are tire liners? I have been told that if I put them in the slicks it will feel like I am riding on solid rubber....
    I think it depends on the road conditions and how well you (can) avoid the trash. Run the tires as-is. If you do not get flats, great! If you do, try the tire liners and/or sealants.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I think it depends on the road conditions and how well you (can) avoid the trash. Run the tires as-is. If you do not get flats, great! If you do, try the tire liners and/or sealants.

Thanks Shiggy... that makes sense... thanks....

What do you recomend for a tire liner if I do have a problem with them?

Have you ever tried the panaracer flat away kevlar tire liners??

Quote Originally Posted by massmang
    Thanks Shiggy... that makes sense... thanks....

What do you recomend for a tire liner if I do have a problem with them?

Have you ever tried the panaracer flat away kevlar tire liners??
    Sorry, I have never had a big issue with flats.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I bought a set [Kevlar bead] and put Stans sealant in them and went for one 10 mile ride and the front tire actually came apart causing a crash on the pavement, the casing seperated from the rubber. I sent several emailes to Ritchy asking if it was the Stans or a defective tire and never got any response. I will never buy a Ritchy product again. I like customer service, these tires cost me 25.00 a piece. I would not recommend them, they are light, but also fragile and expensive and no cusomer service.

Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside
    I bought a set [Kevlar bead] and put Stans sealant in them and went for one 10 mile ride and the front tire actually came apart causing a crash on the pavement, the casing seperated from the rubber. I sent several emailes to Ritchy asking if it was the Stans or a defective tire and never got any response. I will never buy a Ritchy product again. I like customer service, these tires cost me 25.00 a piece. I would not recommend them, they are light, but also fragile and expensive and no cusomer service.

I saw a lot of reviews and never heard anything about them being weak, so hopefuly it was just a defective tire. I paid $19 for them, which is relly cheap for a slick...

that sucks about their customer service.. I will call them on the phone if I have a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside
    I would not blame the tire
    mtbtires.com

Apr 2006
    Did about a 40 mile road trip with them Saturday, and I have to say I like them.. they are really fast rolling tires, handle great, and no flats yet.... And I know I ran over some glass a couple times...

Members who have read this thread: 0