Ritchey integrated seatpost- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Ritchey integrated seatpost

ok, i'm posting this here because you'll be the ones with the most experience with this. i want to hear your thoughts/opinions about integrated seatposts on road OR mtn bikes. also, i have questions about the Ritchey head in particular because they seam to be the only aftermarket company that makes something not dedicated to a particular brand. will it work on a round seattube and if so, what is the inner diameter of the 'head'? i'm toying with the idea of having a custom made with an integrated post but wanted to get peoples thoughts first.

banned

hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by onespeedfreak
    ok, i'm posting this here because you'll be the ones with the most experience with this. i want to hear your thoughts/opinions about integrated seatposts on road OR mtn bikes. also, i have questions about the Ritchey head in particular because they seam to be the only aftermarket company that makes something not dedicated to a particular brand. will it work on a round seattube and if so, what is the inner diameter of the 'head'? i'm toying with the idea of having a custom made with an integrated post but wanted to get peoples thoughts first.
    what is your intention, your goal with an integrated seatpost?

are you looking for light weight? forget it! the Ritchey clamp weichs about 130g alone...so an integrated seatpost will be heavier than a lightweight seatpost.

optics ? - ok - i have to admit an integrated seatpost can look cool

BUT - an integrated seatpost has a lot of downsides:
    -heavier than a lightweight seatpost
    -no more adjustement of seat height. usually only a minimal amount remains to adjust
    -you can sell your bike to smaller people only
    -you can't transport your bike in a car/airplane where you would have to remove/lower the seatpost

by the way - i guess that Ritchey clamp of the Scott has 38mm inner diameter.Scotts have this massive oversize seattube...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i'm not completely sold on the integrated post idea but it does look pretty damn cool. and since the custom i'm going to get is Ti, i figure weight wise it would be pretty close but the ride quality would be really nice.

any more thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you are willing to sacrifice some ease-of-adjustment for light weight, you could have your builder integrate a KCNC-style clamping mechanism. For lightest weight, you could place the rail support directly on the seat tube. This would require filing the seat tube to drop the seat, until you reached desired height. Raising the saddle would require adding shims or machining a new rail support. Your frame build could easily make you several different height ti rail supports from tubing scraps.

Fairwheel Bikes sells the whole post for 65Euro:
    http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/europe...roducts_id=175

If it does not work out for your integrated frame, you can use it elsewhere or sell it. Nino sells KCNC stuff, so perhaps he can beat Fairwheel pricing.

If the integrated post becomes too short, you can always cut it off, cut a clamping slot, and use a standard seatpost. Thomson makes odd sizes to fit nearly any tube.

Another thing to consder: Titanium seat tubes are probably not available in the lengths you'll need, with the butts in the correct places. So, your builder will probably use straight gage ti, which weighs more. This company has some butted down tubes long enough, but the butting would be at the BB and seat clamp, not at the welds.
    http://www.titaniumtubes.com/

KCNC Ti Pro Lite Assembly Instructions:
    http://www.kcnc.com.tw/Web/SP2.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    OK, if you're going to build a custom ti bike that does not fit anyone else and is difficult to resell, I have a couple more suggestions:

Cannondale Headshok
    BB30 integrated crankset

While you're at it, make it a soft tail. Then, you'll have the most unique bike on the forum. And, if you get bored with it, you can sell it to me (cheap!).

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    For me, integrated seatposts are for XC only. For real mountain riding, i want to be able to lower my seatpost for downhills. I'm very tall, so downhill with the seatpost up is horrendous...
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    For transportation reasons the inability to lower the seat is a deal breaker for me. I often stuff my bike in the back of small suv's, trunks of cars, etc, and I doesn't fit with the seat all the way up.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i was looking at this for a ti hardtail. i think the LOOK hardtail is pretty trick but looks extremely uncomfortable. a ti version of something like this might be a rocketship that could be ridden all day.

Members who have read this thread: 0